1200 or less?! Losing weight for a very small person

Hi community, I am hoping to pick your brains on something. I want to lose weight (not a lot, maybe 5 kg). My normal BMR is 1350 calories a day in order to maintain my weight. MFP have calculated that I should consume 1200 a day in order to meet my weight loss goal. A calorie deficit of 150 surely is not going to help with that though, is it? In an article I read that MFP advise for women to generally not eat less than 1200 calories. I appreciate this may be the case for many women, but surely not for all? I am quite small and I don't think that this goal is going to work for me. I have been 'living by' this goal for a month now and the scale hasn't moved. Do you think I should adjust my calorie goal downwards? Or am I risking any health issues? Thanks for your input!

Replies

• globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    If the scale hasn't moved in a month, then you are eating close to maintenance. Instead of lowering your calories, you can burn more calories instead by moving more or exercising more if you can.
  • LazyBlondeChef
    LazyBlondeChef Posts: 2,809 Member
    edited December 2020
    I am in that situation. I am set to 1200 calories per day plus I add the net calories from working out. I eat between 1100-1300 calories per day ... sometimes a little higher if I do a longer workout. At current weight my BMR is 1267 and TDEE 1520. I've been losing about a pound a week for the last 2.5 months. In the past I ate 1300-1400 per day and consistently lost less than a pound per week. I'll be eating around 1500 calories per day in maintenance depending on how much I exercise.

I eat two solid meals a day plus an evening snack where I choose whatever I need to meet my preferred macros. I'm working with a dietician so I have no concerns with the amount of calories I'm getting.

I thought I had read that women should eat a minimum of 1000 calories per day to be safe.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    How small are you, OP? How active are you usually? Your BMR may be 1350 but your TDEE may be 1600. You will have to be very accurate with your logging. It is tough being small. There isn’t much room for error.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited December 2020
    Is your BMR 1350, or do you mean you've calculated your TDEE to be 1350? BMR is what your body uses for basic bodily functions, but TDEE includes additional energy used for moving thru your day and exercise. What are your stats?

If your TDEE is truly 1350 then 150 deficit daily would result in an average loss rate of about 1.3 pounds per month. So it is doable, but would require patience and accuracy. The human body normally has constant water weight fluctuations so it can be hard to 'see' the scale results in the short term when the progress is so small.

You could also look for ways to increase your TDEE. Meaning more movement, more calorie burn. Not just 'exercise'. Are there times you are sitting, that you could be standing? Can you add additional movement? Walking for errands, instead of drive thrus for bank, pharmacy, etc. Take the stairs instead of elevator/escalator. Park further from the store instead of looking for the closest spot. If you have a desk job, put an alarm on your phone every hour to stand up and stretch and walk around for 2-3 minutes. These are not calorie burns you can put into numbers, but over time they will add up and benefit you.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,819 Member
    Adding to other good advice above: I've been averaging about a 150 calorie daily deficit for about the past year (intentionally slow).

My weight late 2019 was upper 130s pounds. Now, it's mid-120s.

Yes, small (real, accurate) deficits are enough to lose weight. It takes time (lots) to show up clearly on the scale. But it's practically painless, IME.
  • LGreenfield7
    LGreenfield7 Posts: 75 Member
    Hey. you mention that you are a very small girl. My girlfriend is 120 lbs at 5foot nothing. 5KG is a lot of weight on a small frame... i mean A LOT. My girlfriends weight tends to fluctuate a bit. At 123 she looks heavier. At 119 she looks like she keeps herself healthy. If she drops down to 115 she looks incredible. She is currently eating around 1250 calories per day. Exercise and other daily activities burn her down below the 1950 mark. When consuming 1200 she does continue to lose weight. I would say eat the least amount of food that you find "comfortable" (I know it sucks eating in a deficit. and add more and more exercise until you reach your goal.