Eating before an early morning workout

Options
I have found a great deal of conflicting information with regard to this so I was wondering what others have found in their weigth loss adventure. I swim in the morning before I go to work (around 6am) and was unsure of whether I should eat before I workout or if it is ok to wait until I finished. I don't find that I am at a loss for energy and I don't get light headed but I don't want to get stuck in not losing as much weight as I could be. Has anyone else had an experience with this? Thanks.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    doesn't really matter, it's all personal preference. you don't even have to eat immediately after working out
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (maybe even on MFP) recently that eating some protein before a workout will help your body burn more calories, or burn them for longer after you complete the exercise. So eat some eggs or some other protein before. I know in the mornings I can't function without food, I get ilghtheaded a lot. I HAVE to eat every single morning before I do anything else.
  • darlalu00
    darlalu00 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat after I workout. I tried eating before and felt sick.
  • AmyW125
    AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I eat after...
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    When I get up for an early morning workout, usually between 5 am and 5:!5, I do not eat. There are times when I am low on energy and could probably use a half of banana or something, but I am usually ok. I usually eat breakfast around 8. On the weekends, when I might get up and do a morning workout at 8 or 9, I do eat. Usually by that time, I am feeling hungry. I have noticed I do have better workouts and more energy when I do have a little something before working out. I just don't feel like eating at 5 am during the week!! I have lost weight fine as long as I get my workouts in.....
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I feel very sick if I eat too early in the morning. For me, morning exercise means I eat after it.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I like to eat about 2 hours before I workout or after. If you feel ok I wouldn't worry about it. Do what works and feels best for you!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You will burn more calories off on a empty stomach. If your tummy is full you will be buring that off and not what you want to burn off. Thanks hope this helps you decide...
  • thibautseeker
    thibautseeker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I swim in the mornings on the weekend and have breakfast first and find it fine but I do have a 25 minute walk to the pool before I have my swim so I don't know if that helps or not.
  • travelgirl96
    Options
    Everyone is different so you should do what feels right. I either run or power walk with a little something in my stomach because if I get too hungry it makes me feel sick. I have a few pretzels or a grahm cracker. if i am really hungry then i have a larabar and eat a small breakfast after my shower. hope this helps.
  • maximkat
    maximkat Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me personally, I like to have a protein shake prior to a workout where i'm lifting weights and i follow up with another afterwards. it's much easier for my body to handle in the morning as i've had trouble eating early in the past. With that said, on days where i'm doing an hour on the bike or so, i can either have a protein shake or on my high carb day (i carb cycle), i'll have an actual serving size of cereal with half a serving of milk just to give me a little pop of energy to start the day. Good luck finding something that works for you. Our bodies are all different, just pay attention to how you feel when you change things around and you'll figure it out.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    From the research I've done, you could try a few light carbs beforehand (not too many for obvious reasons) and if you're trying to add muscle some protein along with some more carbs afterwards. I don't swim in the mornings, I weight train, but for an example beforehand (15 mins) I have two weetabix, then afterwards I have two eggs and a piece of fruit. HTH
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    In a similar vein, I just started an evening kettlebell class which starts at 7:00 pm. Any suggestions regarding when and what I should eat? Last night I ate before the class, because I didn't want to eat dinner close to 9:00 pm, but it was a bit of a slog in the beginning.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Depends what I am doing. If I wake up and will do say... circuit training, I eat after my workout. If I am going on a long hike, I eat a carb with fat before I leave the house to give it time to 'digest'. I don't think (or have proven that) I lose more or less if I eat before or after the workout. (shrug).
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat after working out because even if I eat before I am always starving right after!! Lol
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    In a similar vein, I just started an evening kettlebell class which starts at 7:00 pm. Any suggestions regarding when and what I should eat? Last night I ate before the class, because I didn't want to eat dinner close to 9:00 pm, but it was a bit of a slog in the beginning.

I've been staggering my meals throughout the day when I have a 6pm workout - I might have a snack when I wake up, then do a proper breakfast at about 10am, then a larger meal between 3-4pm. Then I don't get hungry during the workout, but I don't feel gross either. I tend to eat oatmeal or something I can make in the office on those days since leaving at 3pm for a lunch hour just feels weird. My electric kettle has really come in handy for things like this.
  • Mygrrls
    Mygrrls Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You will burn more calories off on a empty stomach. If your tummy is full you will be buring that off and not what you want to burn off. Thanks hope this helps you decide...
    I was watching Dr. Oz last week and he had a few suggestions regarding this. Thie first is to work out first thing in the morning, before eating. He said that it helps to burn the stored energy. He also said to take any fiber supplements about 15 minutes before your meal. They help fill you and work better. I have been doing almost everything he suggested for several months and found that it does work. I get up at 6:00. The first thing is to weigh, then I do is 15-20 minutes of yoga, followed by a 30-45 minute brisk walk with my dog. When I get home from the walk, I take my fiber and fix breakfast. I then get ready for work. Dr. Oz also said that this way you are more likely to get in the workout as opposed to waiting later in the day. I also work out at the gym 2-3 times a week. That is a strenuous work out and I try to eat a combination of carbs and protien about 2 hours before. If I don't make it to the gym on a given day, I'm not too worried since I have usually done the yoga and walk already. I also think it depends on your personal preference and goals. I have never liked eating as soon as I get up. I also take medications in the AM that are supposed to be on an empty stomach. My goal is to lose weight and be and look healthy. I am not trying to body build or anything like that, so I feel no need to do strenuous exercize every day. Someone who is body building might want that protien before every workout. With all that, Dr. Oz made a point that all of his suggestions work and are supported by studies, but they are not miracles. They are a boost to your efforts.
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different but for me I usually have a small banana before an early morning workout. I eat usually about 20 mins before hand. I find that when I don't I'm not able to have as much of an effective workout because I'm lacking in energy. If you feel that you can train just as well without then do what feels right.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I never eat before swimming. I seldom eat before working out, at any time of day. It doesn't feel good to me.

I will, however, drink something first thing in the morning. But I think it really is what works for you.