will jogging ruin my knees???

Options
i recently started jogging in between walking on my treadmill, but i am worried about my knees. i was diagnosed with tendonitis in both knees a few years ago which is due to my weight. i like jogging because not only does it burn more calories, but it really helps me reduce my stress levels. my knees don't hurt really (i only jog every other day or so) but i can hear/feel them clicking more than usual. does anyone have any suggestions or ideas or advice? i'm only 27 so i would really like to keep my knees in good condition seeing as i still have a lifetime ahead of me....

Replies

• soloral
    Options
    Well, I would not suggest running if your over 30 pounds overweight.

It is going to really beat up your knee's. But if you must, get a good pair of running shoes fit for you from a running store.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    do exercises to strenghten your knees? you can google it or get them from your dr
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I completely DISAGREE with what soloral said. I started running when I was 95 pounds overweight. I'm now 60 pounds overweight, thanks to running. And that's with prior knee injuries like a torn ACL.

If you focus on proper posture (look into ChiRunning, don't heel strike!) and invest in good sneakers that promote a midfoot strike.
  • jaramae
    jaramae Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I've had some slight knee problems in my left knee that make working out bearable but uncomfortable. It definitely tends to be the first place I feel some discomfort. While its great that you like to run, if you have a significant amount of weight to lose, I would suggest lower impact exercises like an elliptical trainer as an alternative. Once your body loses the weight, gets adjusted, feels lighter, hopefully that'll improve your knees' ability to take the impact of running.
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    try interval training. running for a few minutes than walking for one. this reduces the stress on your knees greatly!!! I have bad knees and when i started doing intervals instead and my knees have been SO much better!!!!
  • sazino
    sazino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Follow your body's lead. If your knees feel OK running, go for it! I have bad knees (ACL repair one one, cart repair on the other), and I love running! I don't run a lot (about 15 miles a week), so maybe that's why my knees are fine.

Also, I learned during physical therapy that strengthening the muscles around the knee joint (quads, hams, calves) help to take the pressure off the joints themselves. So, maybe incorporate some squats/lunges/strength training for muscles around your knees. Obviously, getting weight off will also be good for your joints.

Good luck!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is hard on my joints. I try and stay off of it and run outside when I can. Mainly trails that are dirt or asphalt and stay away from concrete.

I completely agree with summertime! Just don't rush it and take your time.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Studies in runners have shown they actually have better knees than non-runners of the same fitness (can't find the study quickly though...).

If you start with interval training (as suggested), start off slowly, and low distances, and get your git analysed for the right shoes for you, then you should be fine.
  • rdonner11
    Options
    thanks so much everybody for your help! i have about 90-100 lbs to lose, so i'm thinking investing in some good shoes is a good idea. i usually alternate jogging and walking and i try not to push it too hard.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    yes! (see my sig line)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yes, it will also ruin your face. All that bouncing will give you more wrinkles, so if you're worried about those, too, jogging probably isn't the sport for you.

In all seriousness, though, being overweight actually is worse for your knees than jogging. Your knees are not designed to bear massive amounts of weight, so the tendons, ligaments and cartilage in there will have an incredibly hard time supporting too much extra poundage. You'll find that once you lose the weight, your knees will be a lot happier, because they won't have to continually bear weight they can't really support. And with proper running form, you can take a lot of the pounding from being transferred directly to your knees, and instead cushion it up through your legs and hips.
  • soloral
    Options
    I completely DISAGREE with what soloral said. I started running when I was 95 pounds overweight. I'm now 60 pounds overweight, thanks to running. And that's with prior knee injuries like a torn ACL.

If you focus on proper posture (look into ChiRunning, don't heel strike!) and invest in good sneakers that promote a midfoot strike.

Running = 1 foot on the ground at a time
    Walking = 2 feet on the ground at a time

Running if overweight will cause a lot of force on that one knee at a time.
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Gotta agree. Started running 80lbs ago and with chronic pain from a fibula fracture about 5 years ago. I'm now a minimalist runner (promotes the midfoot strike, actually makes it impossible to heel strike) and I don't suffer pain and longer. Take it slowly and listen to your body. It will tell you when you've done enough. :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Talk to the doctor that diagnosed the tendonitis!! There may be a brace you could use for support, or perhaps you shouldn't run until you've lost more weight. But don't take chances, ask someone that knows you and your condition.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Well, I would not suggest running if your over 30 pounds overweight.

It is going to really beat up your knee's. But if you must, get a good pair of running shoes fit for you from a running store.

You what?
  • meerkat70
    Options

Running = 1 foot on the ground at a time
    Walking = 2 feet on the ground at a time

Ah, thanks for clarifying that. Us chubsters are so hefty our brains have stopped working, obviously....

Sorry, but you're just talking nonsense. I know plenty of fat people - myself included - who have loved running, and built great strength and health from it. It strengthened my leg muscles and put an end to knee pain completely for me.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Running while overweight will result in weight loss, so you can run at a healthy weight. Sigh, I guess my 60 pound overweight *kitten* should stop training for a half marathon now....dammit, I already ran today, I could have been sitting on the couch!!
  • spoiledwife12
    spoiledwife12 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started at 40 lbs overweight and a previous hip surgery. I had my gait analyzed at The Running Store, invested in some quality shoes, and started out slooooowly!!!

I also wear a right knee and left ankle brace. These have helped TREMENDOUSLY!!

The mid-foot strike is crucial and not difficult to get accustomed to.

I absolutely love running now!! :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everybody for your help! i have about 90-100 lbs to lose, so i'm thinking investing in some good shoes is a good idea. i usually alternate jogging and walking and i try not to push it too hard.

You can also try incline walking to ramp up your calorie burn without the impact (just don't hold on to the handrails).

Whether or not running at your weight will lead to "knee problems" is really a matter of percentages. The risk of an overuse injury increases when you start doing a high-impact activity. I only bring that up because some people are using personal anecdotes to suggest otherwise and that is misleading.

The fact that the risk increases doesn't mean you WILL become injured nor does it mean you should not run. You are doing the right thing by being smart about intervals, and investing in some quality footwear. You are also fairly young, and that also mitigates the risk somewhat.

Running will not "wear out your knees" per se--i.e. will not "grind down" the joints or anything. The increased shock can lead to tendinitis or can result in an acute injury like a meniscus tear or ligament damage.

OTOH, if this is something you enjoy and keeps you motivated, that's important as well.

Those are the facts to consider. There is no absolute right or wrong answer.
  • meerkat70
    Options

Whether or not running at your weight will lead to "knee problems" is really a matter of percentages. The risk of an overuse injury increases when you start doing a high-impact activity. I only bring that up because some people are using personal anecdotes to suggest otherwise and that is misleading.

The fact that the risk increases doesn't mean you WILL become injured nor does it mean you should not run. You are doing the right thing by being smart about intervals, and investing in some quality footwear. You are also fairly young, and that also mitigates the risk somewhat.

Those are the facts to consider. There is no absolute right or wrong answer.

Risk is also significantly amerliorated by following a sensible, incremental running programme....

The personal anecdotes are undoubtedly a reaction to absolutist statements about what big people can and can't do.