Chicken Soup Recipe Suggestions??

Options
Does any one have a nice, easy and most importantly low in fat/calories recipe for chicken soup. Not one that involves boiling a chicken carcass though because that would make me feel ill. But i have chicken stock cubes instead! Any recipes that have been tried and tested would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    You can use low fat canned chicken with any recipe that calls for chicken. No carcass in sight.
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    boil a whole bird for about 2-3 hours, throw in carrots, celery onions in the last 45 minutes or so, salt, pepper, Italian seasonings. Pick apart the meat. let it cool overnight and skim the fat off the top. Easy, low cal, low fat, and you know what's in it.. No cans in sight!
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Just got done blogging on this very subject. http://kimmerfits.blogspot.com/2011/09/killer-soup.html
  • soifua
    Options
    my favorite, I don't follow the recipe anymore but it's pretty basic and YUM

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/quick-chick-and-noodle-soup-recipe/index.html

and I don't add noodles all the time, you can leave them out and add more veggies
  • MC0301
    MC0301 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/02/chicken-and-avocado-soup.html

Chicken and Avocado Soup ... Just tried the recipe last night and had the left overs today for lunch. In my opinion it was absolutely delicious! I used low sodium & low fat chicken broth to make it a little healthier =)
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't use a carcass but I do use a whole fresh chicken (or sometimes cheat and use skin on chicken breasts.

I first boil the chicken for about 30-40 min until it gets foamy at the the top (usually a big pot of water with enough to cover all the chicken then a little more). I skim this all off then turn it down to low/simmer and thrown in a whole onion (skin on, not cut or anything), celery and carrots and about 1.5-2tbl of salt (just go by taste). I let this all cook until the carrots are soft. I removed the chicken and onion from the soup and shred some of the chicken and serve.

Tasty and easy and I think rather low in fat, but I honestly don't know for sure.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Swanson broth in the box makes the best easiest soup, and you can get it in low sodium if you're watching salt intake. I use 3 parts chicken broth and 1 part vegetable broth, which gives your broth more depth of flavor.

I then add a bit of olive oil, tons of chopped fresh veggies that I like (carrots, celery, onions, frozen peas, etc.) and lots of salt-free seasoning like pepper, garlic, sage, dried parsely, thyme, whatever I have in the spice cupboard that goes well with chicken. Then add diced or chunked skinless chicken breast. Bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer until your veggies are tender and chicken is cooked through. You can just eyeball the ingredients or you can measure carefully if you want to add it all up for a calorie/nutrient count.

I make it in big batches and then freeze individual servings in Gladware for later.
  • jessonamission
    Options
    I usually just boil chicken breast's.....after chicken is almost fully done I add the veggies and chicken stock cubes to taste & its done!
  • NemesisJRM
    NemesisJRM Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I like to add rice to my soup to give it a bit of bite and get you fuller without adding loads of calories.

Boil up the chicken for about 1.5hr in the water, to create your stock.
    Remove the chicken, and de-bone. Add Cooked Chicken Flesh back into the pan.
    Add the Carrots, Onion and Rice simmer for about 20mins.
    Mix up your stock cube as per instruction on back of pack.

Bring back to a boil for a further 10mins, top up water if required. Once brought through the boil, Soup is ready for serving. Add parsley for that extra little flavour and garnish :)

Season with salt and pepper as required.

Works out about 150-200 cals per bowl
  • Hardemanwifey
    Hardemanwifey Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ParkersMomma2010
    ParkersMomma2010 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Super easy chicken soup recipe I got from my aunt and have made many times with tons of compliments.

1 rotisserie chicken-picked
    3-4 large cans of chicken stock (can substitute with low sodium)
    1 stick or margarine (use lower fat)
    1 bag of carrots
    1 large sweet onion
    1 bag of medium egg noodles

-Pick the chicken off of the bones and stick to the side.
    -Shred the entire bag of carrots and sweet onion
    -melt the margarine in a stock pot and add the carrots and sweet onion, sauteing until medium soft
    -Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil
    -Add the egg noodles and boil
    -Once the egg noodles are almost done add the picked chicken.

Honestly the best chicken soup ever and soooooo easy! Sauteing the carrots and onions add a sweetness to the chicken soup that is devine! Salt and pepper to your taste
  • MelissaJ6807
    Options
    This is from Cookinglight.com - I make this all the time and my hubby and I LOVE IT! I am actually about to make a triple batch (because he is sick) and portion it out for my lunches. It calls for fusilli pasta but I sub out no yolks. I cut and paste the link below for you just in case you need it.
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/quick-chicken-noodle-soup-10000001949741/ and included the nutritional info under the recipe. Enjoy!!!

Quick Chicken Noodle Soup - Yield: 6 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
    Total: 20 Minutes

Ingredients
    2 cups water 1 (32-ounce) carton fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 medium carrot, chopped
    6 ounces fusilli pasta
    2 1/2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preparation
    1. Combine 2 cups water and chicken broth in a microwave-safe dish, and microwave at HIGH for 5 minutes.
    2. While broth mixture heats, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, celery, salt, pepper, and carrot; sauté 3 minutes or until almost tender, stirring frequently. Add hot broth mixture and pasta; bring to a boil. Cook 7 minutes or until pasta is almost al dente. Stir in chicken; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Stir in parsley.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving

Calories: 237
    Fat: 4.8g
    Saturated fat: 1g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
    Protein: 22.9g
    Carbohydrate: 23.9g
    Fiber: 1.7g
    Cholesterol: 50mg
    Iron: 1.8mg