A good problem to have but HELP PLEASE!!

Options
OK so I know this is probably going to annoy some people that I actually am asking this question, but I could really use some help. I'm waaay behind on calories today. I worked out this morning and have two soccer games this evening (total of 160 minutes). I also went a little nuts on the protein today having already consumed 162g of Protein with only 1096 total (gross) calories. After lunch I started looking at it and realized I really don't know how I am going to get anywhere near the 3,600+ calories I need to consume today just to break even without really throwing my other nutrients totally out of whack.

Now I'm ok with coming in as much as 500 calories under but that still puts me at 3100. So here's what I'm hoping you guys can provide and what I'm hoping to avoid. I know I screwed up, I did not plan my intake for today well at all. I know this so please do get too far down the path of scolding me for my poor choices thus far today. Can you please let me know, given my current situation (my diary is open to all), what you would do the rest of the day to try and get things as close to balanced as possible. I've loaded the estimated calories for the two games I have tonight to make viewing this all on my diary easier. I'd appreciate anyone that would be willing to take a look and offer suggestions on specific foods that you'd look at. I'm trying to avoid just hitting a fast food joint and slamming some huge nasty calories (althought obviously from everything but a sodium perspective I could afford it).

Thanks in advance ot anyone willing to help.

Replies

• McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    A double-peanut butter and dark-chocolate sandwich. ;)
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I keep yogurt on hand, not light yogurt, but YOGURT for when I need more calories, or I'll have a fruit smoothie (sugar yes, but none is added). I also do peanut butter . . .
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I am no help. If I needed to consume 3100 calories for the day, I'd probably have a cheeseburger and fries and call it good.
  • soifua
    Options
    honestly ... I wouldn't worry about it too much, UNLESS you know you'll get super hungry. BUT a peanut butter sandwich with a banana would be super yummy
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I;m amazed you aren't starving! I'm sure you can put it right over a few days, so I wouldn't worry overmuch. In the short term however, if I have a big deficit I just stuff myself with low bulk/high calorie food like nuts. Over 70% dark chocolate is nother good one (believe it or not)
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    2 servings of nuts would help! I've never had that many cals to eat LOL
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I like the suggestion McKayMachina made with peanut butter, but I would spread it on an able and not bread. I never thought of having it with dark chocolate, but that does sound decadent. (Looks like you can afford some decadence today....)
  • AMIS456
    AMIS456 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Since you have a lot of carbs left as well, go for a pasta dish - especially since you will be running around! That will help fill you up and be a good bit of calories.
  • Visser1971
    Options
    You don't HAVE to eat back your exercise calories :-) and higher on protein is not bad either, especially when you have done a lot of activity.

But that said, I can read, and you have asked a question - so I suggest a balanced dinner based on steamed veggies, lean meat and a small amount of starch. Tonight I had pork tenderloin stir fried with dried chili pepper flakes, snap peas and fresh mango! Serving with steamed broccoli, carrots and rice. The mango in the stir fry provides enough juice that you should not need more than a small touch of oil. That or something similar should keep you in balance.

And an apple and nectarine for dessert.

Cheers, Christy
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Go for nuts! Good energy and high fat and calorie (but good ones)

Try 2 oz of almonds (360 calories)

Add a banana rolled in peanut butter and peanuts - freeze briefly to keep it all together (105+ 200+200ish = 500ish)

Smoothie with banana, peanut butter, whole milk, yogurt, peanuts

In other words - add nuts and fruit and high energy foods! Don't think it's a "sugar fat crap food" free for all - make sure you add healthy calories!

And now you know to plan a bit better next time ;-)
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    That may be true, but only every now and again, or your body will go into starvation mode from the sustained deficit. For skeptics, see my blog
  • dlovesjimma
    dlovesjimma Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Whole avacado chopped up with a tomato and onion, throw a little balsamic vinaigrette on it.

Smoothie - spinach, one whole banana, a cup of non-fat milk or coconut milk, peanut butter, tablespoon of walnut or coconut oil, and some frozen fruit.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I would go for the fruit, myself. A few heavier bits, like figs, or bananas, to fill in that gap.

One day of really low calories won't hurt you. But, you might find yourself with a seriously bad case of the munchies later, or tomorrow.

Maybe get some dark greens in there, too... like a fruit & greens smoothie. Think a couple of peaches, some frozen berries, and a handful of kale or spinach. Blend with enough water to get it to move in the carafe, and then chug that down! :drinker:
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, it does not happen every day. Keep some sort of snack with you in case you bonk out. At least once a week I have the same issue.
  • blue4myeyes
    blue4myeyes Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am no help. If I needed to consume 3100 calories for the day, I'd probably have a cheeseburger and fries and call it good.

LMAO! I was wondering if I was the only one thinking that.....haha

For real, though. When I need to add calories, I go peanut butter, adding olive oil to veggies (rather than fat free/cal free butter spray), nuts and avocado. I am also a big fan of a tomato, mozzarella, basil salad with olive oil and balsamic. Those generally get me where I need to be if I am low on calories -- but still allow me to feel I am making healthy choices. :)
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout, I would eat slow-digesting crabs, like sweet potatoes, oats, or whole grains, to provide you with energy for your activity levels today. While you don't have to eat ALL your workout calories back, you also don't want to go drastically under, so after your workout, I would have fast-digesting carbs like fruits and yes, white bread. While I normally don't eat refined grains, they're the best for replenishing your muscle glycogen immediately post-workout as long as you don't go overboard with them.

I wouldnt eat too much fat before exercising, as it might make you feel sluggish or too full, but I would eat some with dinner, like olive oil, nuts, or avocado.

Don't stress today too much!! Not as big a deal as you may think as long as it's not the norm. Hope this helps :smile:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a decent sized bowl of pasta with a tomato based sauce. You'll get carbs for all the running you're gonna do at the games and won't overload on protein. Add asalad on the side with a light or no dressing for some veggies/fiber/slower digesting carbs and you should be good to go. :)
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Protein shake with milk is how I make up for my deficit on workout days.
    Other good options are nuts and chocolate.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Beer. And lots of it.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk. Some studies have shown its a great post-workout recovery drink. The sugar, fat, and carbs replenish you body with calcium and vitamins to help restore you stores. I drink it after runs. It's cheaper and tastier then recovery mixes. Other studies have shown the specific calcium in dairy can help open fat cells much better then other forms of nutrients or even calcium in other forms.