How Many Times

jdh419
jdh419 Posts: 65 Member
How many times have you had to start over? I looked back at the last two years and I lose 7 pounds and then back up! Just seems impossible.

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I don't know about "starting over," but I have to "go into deficit" several times a year in order to control weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    7635789, precisely! 😆

It doesn’t matter how many times you’ve tried before. You always can have one more time.

Start with small sustainable changes. Baby steps! What is one small change you can do today? 10 minute walk, one less soda per day? Do that thing. Do it until it becomes a habit. Then make another small change. Rinse and repeat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,954 Member
    Honestly, some of it is just definition. What constitutes "starting over"? What constitutes "sticking with it"?

Some people would consider losing/regaining 7 pounds to be "weight maintenance". (I would, as long as it all happened in what is for me a healthy weight range, and didn't force me to buy new clothes (I'm the weird/odd woman who hates to shop)).

Habits. Creating good, sustainable, enjoyable (or at least tolerable) habits. That's the only magic, and it isn't easy magic.

Different routes will work better for different people, and figuring out that good personalization (to each of our own individual preferences, strengths, limitations, etc.) is IMO really important.

If you don't want to be gaining/losing 7 pounds over and over, maybe just put in a narrower action range. Up 3 pounds and it hangs around for a week? Cut back a little until you're down 3 or 5 or whatever, and refocus on maintenance habits: Eating, daily life activity, exercise, maybe patterns of lighter and heavier eating days that work for you, identifying foods that fill you up at reduced calories when you need to cut back a little, routines that keep you eating more nutritious things more of the time (for some people it's prepping meals or packing lunches, but it needn't be that, can be whatever works for you).

Habits. Very possible. You have habits. Just keep tweaking them in a positive direction.

Best wishes!
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited December 2020
    I was on again, off again with weight loss from the beginning of 2003 until the end of 2013. At the end of 2013 I found out about calories, and calorie counting and that just made sense to me. I am a logical person, and thinking of my nutritional needs as a budget: that changed everything for me. Weight loss went from something that I had to work for to something I could understand.

If you can try to look back and think about what you've done and why you couldn't stick with it - perhaps you can find your own aha! moment and do something different to move you forward.
  • jdh419
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Honestly, some of it is just definition. What constitutes "starting over"? What constitutes "sticking with it"?

Some people would consider losing/regaining 7 pounds to be "weight maintenance". (I would, as long as it all happened in what is for me a healthy weight range, and didn't force me to buy new clothes (I'm the weird/odd woman who hates to shop)).

Habits. Creating good, sustainable, enjoyable (or at least tolerable) habits. That's the only magic, and it isn't easy magic.

Different routes will work better for different people, and figuring out that good personalization (to each of our own individual preferences, strengths, limitations, etc.) is IMO really important.

If you don't want to be gaining/losing 7 pounds over and over, maybe just put in a narrower action range. Up 3 pounds and it hangs around for a week? Cut back a little until you're down 3 or 5 or whatever, and refocus on maintenance habits: Eating, daily life activity, exercise, maybe patterns of lighter and heavier eating days that work for you, identifying foods that fill you up at reduced calories when you need to cut back a little, routines that keep you eating more nutritious things more of the time (for some people it's prepping meals or packing lunches, but it needn't be that, can be whatever works for you).

Habits. Very possible. You have habits. Just keep tweaking them in a positive direction.

Best wishes!

I need to lose 30 pounds. I only get down by 7 and seems impossible after that.
  • jdh419
    I was on again, off again with weight loss from the beginning of 2003 until the end of 2013. At the end of 2013 I found out about calories, and calorie counting and that just made sense to me. I am a logical person, and thinking of my nutritional needs as a budget: that changed everything for me. Weight loss went from something that I had to work for to something I could understand.

If you can try to look back and think about what you've done and why you couldn't stick with it - perhaps you can find your own aha! moment and do something different to move you forward.

Yes I've actually been thinking back and I do see what worked for me. I just need to get passed the first 7 pounds and then I know I can do it. But I I plateau along the way so often!
  • Two times I've started over. Right now I'm on start over #2.

• susanlee53
    susanlee53 Posts: 12 Member
    Patience (and I am not a patient person) is key to getting through plateaus. My plateaus last a month or more, and I just have to stick with my plan. After a while, the pounds start dropping again. Not sure why.

The philosophy is: if I stop measuring food and logging it and exercising, then FOR SURE I will fail, so I might as well keep the course. I am in no hurry, so the time factor simply doesn't matter.

For the record I am keeping the calories to < 1560 per day, net calories <1350 per day. I should be losing 1 lb/wk, but it's really shaking out to about 3/4lb per week over the last year. I'll take the win! I exercise almost every day