Tell me It's ok to keep it simple

DonnasJourney0805
DonnasJourney0805 Posts: 75 Member
edited December 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Do most of you just do calories in vs calories out... Without overthinking it by just making healthier choices and staying in your calorie limit. I hear so many worrying about macros such as carbs. Coming off of WW where I'm used to counting points...

Replies

• jeraldt6
    jeraldt6 Posts: 28 Member
    Calories in and out works. The reason I follow carbs so close is my type two diabetes and attempt to lose belly fat. When my blood gluecose is above 100 I don't lose. for me it is all about carbs in and carbs out.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    I try to keep things as simple as possible as well. I don't stress too much about macros although I try to eat more protein just because it makes me FEEL better, not because I think it's the only way to lose weight.

Over time you will learn and figure out what things work best for you. I don't like considering any food to be off limits because it depresses me and makes me feel deprived which leads into a cycle of quitting and having to start over again.

Best of luck to you!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Yep. And the days when I go over, like last Thursday, I log it and go on.

I strive for more protein I my diet and am getting my macros back in order from my Thursday food fest. 😋

More protein and high fiber help keep me feeling full. Throw in a little healthy fat and I’m good to go. Also supports my fitness goals. Working on a slow recomp and trying to build muscle.

I lost about 120 pounds using CI/CO and MFP (and a food scale) Kept it off for years, using MFP (and a food scale).

The math works. Weight loss isn’t linear. But if you stick with it, you’ll see results. Patience is key.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    It totally works. Complicated things are usually needlessly complicated make you believe only complicated works and to make money. This is free, and simple. And to some extend teaches new habits.

I kind of track macros only because I might crash if I eat too little carbs.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    I just count calories and am not dead yet. Been doing this now since August 2019 and have lost 8 and a half stone.

I eat what I believe to be a pretty balanced diet, getting my 5 a day, which is often nearer 10 a day, as well as a good portion of protein and I do like my porridge. I keep off the sugar and unhealthy fats unless I am having one of my occasional treat days as these are trigger foods for me.

So it does work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Do most of you just do calories in vs calories out... Without overthinking it by just making healthier choices and staying in your calorie limit. I hear so many worrying about macros such as carbs. Coming off of WW where I'm used to counting points...

Macros don't really matter for weight loss...macros are what your calories are comprised of, and that's it. While dieting, it isn't a bad idea to get in a bit more protein than recommended minimums to help preserve lean mass...also, if you're doing a good amount of strenuous exercise, more protein will aid in repair of broken down tissue...but as weight loss, and weight management in general go, macros aren't particularly important.

Most people really diving into their macros typically have more advanced body composition and sport/performance goals vs just losing excess weight. You have to remember, there are all kinds here...it is My Fitness Pal, not My Weight loss Pal.

I don't log anything...I'm pretty active and "sporty"...but I'm only vaguely aware of what my macros might be. Most people eating a balanced and nutritious diet are also going to have reasonable macro ratios.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    My head spins when some on here start talking macros...calculating their TDEE... multiplying pounds of fat to figure out water usage...protein intake.. on and on..

So.. yes.. keep it all simple... It is portion control and moving more.. common sense stuff. It isn't a mystery.. you are not stuck being overweight because of some mystical reason.. and it doesn't take much to get it off..except.. to eat less and move more on a consistent basis over a long period of time.

Losing weight for me is as simple as paying attention and making good decisions.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member

I try to keep within general buckets, but have never really paid much attention to macros.

I succeeded with CICO and pushing hard to increase strength and endurance.
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    I agree, keep it simple; CICO is all that matters for weight loss. I do currently look at macros because if left to my own devices I could easily eat >50% of my calories in cheese (=fat) and I have worked out that I feel and function better if I am eating more carbs and less fat. But I lost weight on my cheese+ diet, simply by keeping within my calorie goals..
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    vingogly wrote: »
    I make healthier choices and stay within my calorie limit. I monitor my protein and fiber grams to make sure I'm getting enough. That's about it.

Same here, and also trying to make sure I eat enthy of vegetables and fruits.