Going over once a week, should I try it?

Options
I once read an article about a girl who lost weight by going on a diet but also giving herself permission to go over once a week as a reward to herself for a job well done that week. Does this sound like a real option? Could one day of going over my calorie count really hurt my diet?

Replies

• Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Don't know about this. For me personally if I go off track I feel like crap and have a hard time getting back on track so needless to say..."I can't lose any weight like this" !
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Works for me.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Lots of people swear by it. Give it a try, at least you'll have fun doing it! :laugh:
  • ClareB1974
    ClareB1974 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think being flexible once in a while has done no-one any harm, but I'm not sure that telling yourself it's a treat is a good idea. Seeing food as a reward and 'treating' yourself is what got a lot of people in a mess with food in the first place. I'm coming round to the idea of viewing food as fuel and treating myself with something completely different. I obviously do go over my allowance every now and again, but it's not a treat - it's a conscious decision to up my intake that day, if that makes sense.

Sorry if that's not explained very well - I've had a crappy week and I'm tired!
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I swear by it too. You're going to drive yourself insane if you eat the same set amount of calories every day.

Read up on zig-zag/calorie cycling.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, I did this. Once a week I would take a day off and eat whatever I wanted. Then it became a meal off once a week and progressed to nothing just because I reached a point where if I ate like crap, I felt like crap so I stopped doing it. I lost 90 lbs but I do not attribute it to this methodology. I attribute it to some serious hard work and dedication.
  • WiiFitFan
    WiiFitFan Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. What works for one person may not work for another. I personally think it is fine to go over every once in awhile. I am on a lifestyle change, not a strict "diet". If you do decide to go over your calorie count, just make sure it is with healthier food options...not junk! :)
  • hedleyrocks247
    hedleyrocks247 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I totally agree and practice this strategy! I think that if we are in this for the long haul - for the rest of our lives - then there are going to be days where we go over anyway. Once a week I have a free day! I still try to make the best choices possible but if I'm craving something I have it, so those cravings don't get out of control! What I'm learning from this is that usually what I'm craving isn't as great as I thought it was going to be!! So it's a good thing!! And in all honestly, going over on your calories once in awhile isn't going to hurt especially if your normally under your allotted calories on most days!! I still track my worst days - so I have a record of them, but all in all, it evens it's self out in the long run!!!! I also think it's good to shock your body!!
  • Twasney
    Twasney Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of "Cheat Day" because I feel it gives me a reason to get off track and like Setof2keys I have a hard time getting back on the rails.

That being said, with support from here, I am not beating myself up when I go over one day and splurge and have a (GASP) 500 calorie bellini (did you know they were so terrible?? they taste so good!). Even if I go to a wedding and don't make the best choices. it is a "cheat event" and I work on getting them farther and farther apart then when it used to be 3500 calories every single day!

My body is also training me....yesterday I was literally salivating about a hamburger...so I thought eat one now...not 6 later. I ate the burger king burger and got SUPER sick! I have been eating such lean meats and making so many better greaseless choices that my body spazzed out when I put that kind of garbage in it!

I am totally rambling now...so I will move on heheheh :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I don't really plan a day for this, but some days I'm over, some days I'm not.
    People zig-zag calories all the time -- maybe its good to keep your body guessing.

Personally, if I have an over day --- I enjoy it and get back on track the next day. (or 5 days later if its that TOM :))
  • koutroulakis
    Options
    I agree with the poster ClareB1974, you need to be careful calling it a reward, its too easy to get into that mind frame of using food for our celebrations, then it turns into an emotional crutch. I guess thats how some of us got to where we are today. If you use food in any emotional way its emotional eating including celebrations/rewards.

However, I do think its important to give yourself a high calorie day but in a careful well-planned way. For instance eat lots of healthy food and maybe allow one cheat meal. I would not eat junk all day. And track whatever you eat because your calories should not go out of a certain range even on the high end.
  • Jennfur2610
    Jennfur2610 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    From what I know, it works for some. I am not one of those people it works for, unfortunately. I don't want to be on a diet for the rest of my life, I'm trying to make a lifestyle change. While the splurging or going over the calories is motivation for some, it's not good enough for me. To me it's everything in moderation. But give it a try and see what works best for you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Some people don't like cheat days. Some people build in cheat meals into their daily calories. I am a fan of cheat days. They're planned. They're on the calendar. I get to look forward to them. That works for me. It helps me not cave into cravings the rest of the days, knowing I'll have a day to eat whatever the heck I want. I do this once or twice a month, though. You have to find what works for you.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    there is going over, and then their is gluttony. i fear that if someone tells someone "i'ts ok to have a cheat day" that the person will make it a weekly habit to down a six pack and consume a whole pizza. because honestly, thats what i'd do.

i am not afraid of going over if it is a special occasion or a party, as long as it is mostly healthy food!! i do it as a mental health thing too!! i usually do it when i can do a big work out the next day, and it usually motivates me to work out pretty hard!!!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Google and research "spike days" or "spike diet", this is a way of keeping the metabolism boosted up. Some call it cheat days but its all the same in theory. Once a week helps and confuses the body and autonomic system from going into a starvation mode or allowing the body to adjust and adapt to a routine which causes plateau's.
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    same here. if i give in to a craving, i regret it as soon as the last bite is gone. soooo not worth it. and WHY ARE COCKTAILS SO HIGH IN CALORIES???? i practically have to starve myself if i'm planning a night out :mad:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Works for me.

worked for me too, i lost 14 pounds in 12 weeks doing this!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    same here. if i give in to a craving, i regret it as soon as the last bite is gone. soooo not worth it. and WHY ARE COCKTAILS SO HIGH IN CALORIES???? i practically have to starve myself if i'm planning a night out :mad:

this made me lol. i do the same. i'm learning to love gin and (diet) tonic.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Google and use the search box to find zig zagging, I am trying this in a controlled way for a week, I eat the same net cals but build in 2 high days (300 cals more) and 2 lows (200 cals less - never lower than 1200) I'll let u know how I go on!! I have read lots - body builders do this to reduce body fat quickly for competitions! There is lots of science to it increasing metabolism, we'll see in a week!
  • bootstrap7
    Options
    I'm all for that idea, as long as you don't go way overboard. I did this for a couple weeks where I went WAY overboard on my "off" days and messed up all my progress for the whole week. But if you just allow yourself a few treats you might not normally eat and go over your calories a bit that day, then I think it can have lots of benefits.

It makes it easier to stick to your plan during the week (if you're really craving fries, tell yourself you can have them on Saturday and it's easier to say no today) and can help us maintain our healthy habits for the long haul because we don't feel so restricted. It can also even boost your weight loss progress if your calories are very low during the week... Look up "calorie cycling" to read all about it. Basically if you're eating too few calories during the week and your metabolism starts to slow down ("starvation" mode), then giving yourself a calorie spike every so often can jump-start your metabolism into letting go of more fat than it would if you stayed at the low calories.

However, some people do not have the self-control for this plan. If you think you will go way overboard, or if it makes it more difficult to get back into your healthy eating the next day, then maybe it's not for you. :-)