Creating Intermediate Workout

What do you think about the below intermediate workout for a 46 year old male doing a recomp? I know I can get a proven workout, so think of this as a mental exercise to cure the COVID boredom. All that is available is a set of dumbbells, bench, squat rack, barbell with bumper and steel plates and a pull up bar. What are all the changes you would make, not just the most noticeable?

All exercises are in order, 3 sets of 8 reps to near failure with 60 to 90 seconds of rest between sets. The exercise is with dumbbells unless otherwise indicated.

Thanks!

Barbell Squats
Barbell Incline bench
Barbell Bench
Weighted Pull ups
Body weight hanging knee raises
- 5 mins rest -
Bent over one arm rows
Shrugs
Y raises
Silverback shrugs
- 10 min rest -
Overhead press
Stiff legged deadlift
Skull crushers
Bicep curls

Replies

• allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited December 2020
    Edited with more info...

What do you think about the below intermediate workout for a 46 year old male doing a recomp? I know I can get a proven workout, so think of this as a mental exercise to cure the COVID boredom. All that is available is a set of dumbbells, bench, squat rack, barbell with bumper and steel plates and a pull up bar. What are all the changes you would make, not just the most noticeable?

All exercises are in order, 3 sets of 8 reps to near failure with 60 to 90 seconds of rest between sets. 2 or 3 times a week. The exercise is with dumbbells unless otherwise indicated. The squat rack and pull up bar are in a different location than the dumbbells, hence the 5 mins rest after those exercises. Deload every 6 weeks. Looking for 75% optimal.

Thanks!

Barbell Squats
    Barbell Incline bench
    Barbell Bench
    Weighted Pull ups
    Body weight hanging knee raises
    - 10 mins rest -
    Bent over one arm rows
    Shrugs
    Y raises
    Silverback shrugs
    - 10 min rest -
    Overhead press
    Stiff legged deadlift
    Skull crushers
    Bicep curls

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    My opinion, that is too much.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I assume by "intermediate workout" you mean post-LP? If not please define what intermediate means to you.

What kind of adaptations were you trying to achieve and what kind is currently your goal?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    This is all one day? And how many days per week? Any reason you aren’t splitting it? I think it would be a LONG workout.

Personally I also wouldn’t do flat bench directly after incline bench. But that’s just personal preference. For example, since I happen to do both of those in my routine, I do flat bench, lat pulldown (I superset everything) then incline bench, low row, fly’s. It takes me 45 min-1 hr to do 4 sets of each 8-12 reps. I can’t even begin to imagine how long your workout would take to complete...