Your new habits to reward or comfort yourself?

I, like many of you, have noticed that I have the tendency to use food to comfort myself when tired or sad and use food as a reward when I reach a goal.

Now that I am trying to replace some of these habits with new ones, I would love to hear what has worked for you.

What do you do when you get home exhausted after a hard day? What do you do to reward yourself? Is it still a chocolate bar or have you found other ways?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    The reward was in the scale moving down and the need for smaller sizes.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,329 Member
    I’ve never actually rewarded myself with food so I’m not an expert on alternative strategies, but is there something you love doing? Maybe putting PJs on super early, putting on your favourite music and snuggling up with a book? Something that feels luxurious (ie not work or chores)? And if you feel like you want to nibble, could you be prepared and have a bow of snacks ready? I’m slightly obsessed with raw carrots and I know they’re not everyone’s thing, but a bowl of sliced carrots or cucumber could satisfy the physical act of snacking. I freely admit it’s not chocolate though!
  • eijaj
    eijaj Posts: 20 Member
    I’ve never actually rewarded myself with food so I’m not an expert on alternative strategies, but is there something you love doing? Maybe putting PJs on super early, putting on your favourite music and snuggling up with a book? Something that feels luxurious (ie not work or chores)? And if you feel like you want to nibble, could you be prepared and have a bow of snacks ready? I’m slightly obsessed with raw carrots and I know they’re not everyone’s thing, but a bowl of sliced carrots or cucumber could satisfy the physical act of snacking. I freely admit it’s not chocolate though!

Good ideas :) I have actually found couple new ways, a hot bath for example works for me when feeling tired or down.

As for rewarding myself, I am getting close to my next bigger target (20kg down). When I was about to reach my last big target I wanted to have a nice evening in a restaurant. But I don´t feel like it now, so I started to think about it again. How will I reward myself when I get to that next big goal. I think some new clothes are necessary and a reward enough, but I can´t always go for a big shopping spree when something good happens, that would soon be another bad habit to try and break! lol

Is it weird that I have started to think a long hike as a reward for next summer if I stay in course? I guess I have changed :smiley:

I am in a good place now, but I know life will throw curve balls at me every now and then. So I want to be prepared and make sure I will not fall back in my old habits again when it happens. Also healthy habits are harder to practice after a hard day at work, or on a rainy Monday.

So all ideas, big and small are appreciated :smile:
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    I've started painting my nails, can't eat with wet fingernails
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    If I have a really bad day at work, I want to hit the gym no matter how tired I am (also 10 min into a workout and the blood is pumping and I’m super energetic).

The reward is fitting into smaller clothes and being able to see all of myself if I look down. I don’t have to suck the gut in to find my feet anymore 😂
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    I don’t reward myself with food. Never have. For me it was reward that the weight went down and that i got better at sport. I also didn’t reward myself with nrw clothes as I’m anticommercial and a bit tight 😂 so... uh
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,419 Member
    Homemade chai lattes.

Hot bubble bath with Epsom salts, a drop or two of lavender oil, and a good foreign decor magazine. If I’m really needy, I’ll pull out a classic mystery novel- Dorothy Sayers, Ngaio Marsh or Margery Allingham. I’ve read every novel a dozen times and never tire of them.

Not a do-at-home reward, but a Chinese foot massage is....aaaaaaaaah, and not super expensive.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    A good hike, a bike ride, a ski tour, even just a walk around the neighborhood.
  • Walk my dogs
    Play a card game on my iPad
    Read the MFP community and blog
    Hot bath with epsom salt and a few drops of lavender and/or tea tree oil.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Nice tea in a pretty cup or mug (sip while reading, listening to music, or just enjoying the silence).
    A craft you enjoy or something like adult coloring books, dot to dots, puzzle books, etc.
    Online games.
    Jigsaw puzzles.
    Solitaire.
    Listening to a Podcast or Youtuber that you enjoy.
    Calling, writing a note, or sending a card to someone.
    Snuggling with a pet, if you have one.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I do my nails (fancy manicure set), deep condition my hair, do a facial, have scented candles going. Lots of self-care stuff. Also, buying new workout clothes. 😃
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I have a sedentary office job so being able to move is my reward.

Also think what you are "rewarding" yourself for. Going to work or school is a normal adult thing, something that shouldn't require a "reward" just for doing it on a regular basis. Now if one has been working 16 hour days on a project sure a reward is fine. Shouldn't need a reward for doing the normal 8 hour day IMO.

I could find a normal 8-10 hour desk job day exhausting if I 1. Didn't exercise at lunch time and/or 2. Didn't eat enough protein/had too much carbs.

It's amazing how much better I felt after getting in more movement and more protein during the work day!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I always have a book by my bedside- and reward myself with a cozy cup of herbal tea and an hour or so of "me time" reading in bed before bedtime
  • happyness4me
    happyness4me Posts: 58 Member
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    I've really gotten into loose teas from a local tea shop. I have a bunch of different flavors and varieties. A cup of high-quality hot tea is surprisingly comforting.

I like this idea!