Greetings

Options
Hello Everyone, my name is Tony. I started MFP a few years ago, yet, I did not follow through and got slammed with other health-related issues. So, here I am again trying to lose 60lbs from 230. About 2 years ago, I had drug-induced diabetes mellitus(prednisone) and dropped 20 lbs in 2 weeks from a diabetic diet. Fortunately, I beat diabetes, and now am just prediabetic. That being said I know what works, thus, I am going to try a no sugar, low carb, lots of eggs/yogurt, and veggies diet(Vegetarian meets Diabetic). I never had an issue with weight, and I was always skinny up until about 10 years ago when I had some asthma issues and started taking prednisone periodically. Nevertheless, I stopped smoking/prednisone around the same time I dealt with the diabetes issue two years ago. No drugs, alcohol, smoking, just overweight...any suggestions would be welcome.

Replies

• murphy2020mfp
    murphy2020mfp Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Prednisone certainly does cause weight gain, but if your only on it periodically it shouldn't be too much of an issue. So are you a vegetarian?, as you don't seem to be consuming very much protein, which helps with muscle building and stops the body from taking energy from the body's muscles, instead of burning the fat. I'm a nurse, hence the interrogation 😇, but congratulations on returning to prediabetic, and soon you won't even be classed as that. If I can help, just ask.
  • thedesertpaladin
    Options
    Thanks for your response and for the interrogation lol It helps me organize my thoughts about my diet. I am actually going to try the aforementioned diet but as a pescatarian. Fish should add more protein to my diet and help stave off those feelings of being hungry often. My A1C is due, and last time it was on the cusp at 5.7. I suspect it may be higher because of the lack of mobility in the Covid era. I know, bad excuse, but I am going to start walking today as well.

• cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Walking is such great exercise! I had gestational diabetes with all 3 of my kids and walking was one of the things that kept me from needing to use insulin. Definitely underrated in my humble opinion.
  • thedesertpaladin
    Options
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    Walking is such great exercise! I had gestational diabetes with all 3 of my kids and walking was one of the things that kept me from needing to use insulin. Definitely underrated in my humble opinion.
    I agree, and congrats on avoiding insulin necessity. Even the meds can be awful on the digestive system.