60 yrs and up

Options

Replies

• j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to see the recent posts here. Personally struggling with staying on track lately and appreciate all the inspiration. Lovely little cactus blooms at a time when life is such a sharp pr__k. Cheers.
    Thanks all, stay well.
  • tnh2o
    tnh2o Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 you are such an inspiration! I weigh almost daily and it's just to notice any trends. I can't rely on how my clothes fit - yoga pants go with the flow. Ten days after my wonderful backpacking trip my knee started giving me issues so I've really backed off on the exercise unless hobbling counts. I expected my weight to shoot up but it's stayed pretty consistent. I'll get back on track.
  • media14
    media14 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I personally don't like using TDEE because it's only an estimation of your BMR and an estimation of how much you're burning in the gym. Too much room for error with so many estimations. On the other hand if you do it yourself by calculating your bmr and then measure calories burnt, you're getting rid of some of that possibility for error.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like using TDEE because it's only an estimation of your BMR and an estimation of how much you're burning in the gym. Too much room for error with so many estimations. On the other hand if you do it yourself by calculating your bmr and then measure calories burnt, you're getting rid of some of that possibility for error.

Curious: How do you *measure* calories burnt? Even the fitness trackers are just providing a statistical estimate, albeit a personalized one.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Hello, all. Fractured my hand a few weeks ago. Did very little posting here for awhile. Almost healed now and getting back in action. Glad to see you all keeping this thread going.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you back Steve.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you back Steve.

Good to see you, too, Mindi. ๐Ÿ™‹โ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn't log too much food while I was healing. Set a goal to stay below 200 pounds and otherwise not be concerned with eating or workouts. Managed that and I think I will stay with that through the Christmas holidays. Then start a new weight loss effort in the new year.
  • trekkie123
    Options
    Great plan!
  • sandy_in_sandy_land
    Options
    Hello, it is December 2020 now, is anyone here? Looking for others trying to end this year on the right foot.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hello, all. Fractured my hand a few weeks ago. Did very little posting here for awhile. Almost healed now and getting back in action. Glad to see you all keeping this thread going.

Hope the rest of your healing continues smoothly, Steve! This year has been disrupting enough for so many people: I can't imagine adding something like a fractured hand on top of it. I'm sorry that happened to you!
    Hello, it is December 2020 now, is anyone here? Looking for others trying to end this year on the right foot.

Totally here, personally. Contented enough, but lots of discretionary time, since we've somewhat iced up here and my outdoor rowing can't happen on ice, so I pretty much stay home except for grocery or other shopping maybe every 2 weeks. Live alone, but plenty of hobbies and hobby supplies, so I have no excuse to be bored; and living in reasonable health & relative comfort, so no reason to be distressed.

On the weight/activity front: Still generally maintaining weight, as per intention. Had a little scale bump from my birthday & US Thankgiving (about a week apart), both of which involved some indulgent eating. Scale does seem to be slooooowly dropping again a bit (also per intention). I'll plan some special food treats around Christmas/New Years, too, so bumpy scale readings will result.

What doesn't help with health maintenance/improvement: I get less incidental movement during Winter, between less yard/garden work and the incidental walking and such involved with getting to the club and rowing; the pass of prime farmers market season (love that variety of fresh ripe goodness!), and my favorite one closed totally for December (not usual).

What does help: It's Concept 2 Holiday Challenge season, during which one machine rows 200k (about 124mi) between Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve. I'm planning 8k+ X 6 days a week, and am nearly halfway after yesterday's workout (97,708m). So far, the aging body has not rebelled excessively, so I'm hopeful.

Current challenges: Getting my mojo going to work on some indoor home projects, and I know I'd benefit from getting some stretching/yoga into my routine. (I intentionally don't strength train during the Holiday Challenge, partly because I'll use any excuse, partly because the sum of both is more cumulative fatigue for me than I want, and interferes with good life balance in that and other ways.)

I'm also trying to play along with a free art journal video series, Kasia Avery's Advent series (10 days this year), but I'm not keeping up time-wise. Still a nice distraction, messy fun with art supplies, no rules. I lack skill/talent, so think of it as a "visual journal" in my case, to keep self-pressure down ๐Ÿ˜‰ but do enjoy the freewheeling activity. (In the series, she gives a prompt, which is a few-words theme sort of thing, and demos her own work on that theme.)

This is kind of a scary visual, but I made a simple small pamphlet-style "junk journal" for this activity . . . using some of my old food notes lists as pages. (While cooking, I note ingredients/weights on something like an old junk mail envelope, and record online when done. A "junk journal" is one made from random kinds of repurposed paper, not plain or "art paper".) So, I'll include a photo (despite the probable "but why?" audience reaction) since it's sort of food-logging related.๐Ÿ˜† (You can see the notes around the edges; I laid down some gesso in the center as a better surface to work on.)
    ge9lwbmkfflk.jpg

OK, now one more cup of coffee (with the indulge-y frothed skim milk! ๐Ÿ˜‰), then I'm off to grocery shop.

Greetings and good wishes to all!
  • sandy_in_sandy_land
    Options
    I love that journal.... but I am a journal junkie. I too am inside now. not because of ice, I live in california, they are shutting our state down again, and my job is gone. I am 61, so it is time to retire and find my bliss. I have taken up painting. Now in that bliss I must reconcile a better relationship with food. yesterday we got along fine, the food stayed in its place.rimb5xnu9ljl.jpeg
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone is doing alright, looks like it has been awhile since the last post here. Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and hope to here how everyone is doing soon!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Merry Christmas to you, too, @teresadannar, and all! ๐Ÿ™‚
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,286 Member
    Options
    Have a lovely Christmas everyone!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all & hoping for a healthy, happy new year.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I love that journal.... but I am a journal junkie. I too am inside now. not because of ice, I live in california, they are shutting our state down again, and my job is gone. I am 61, so it is time to retire and find my bliss. I have taken up painting. Now in that bliss I must reconcile a better relationship with food. yesterday we got along fine, the food stayed in its place.rimb5xnu9ljl.jpeg

I am older than you and I too lost my job after a furlough. I thought of retiring but looked at our budget etc and decided to start looking. I got interviews with the 1st 2 jobs I applied to and got the 2nd one although it was a long hiring process. I spent that time clearing out my art room so I can use it later for when I retire and for a home office. The job is for only a year and a half and consequently pays more. Our son has been advising us and I think by the time this job ends I will be in a position to retire. My husband plans to work for a few more years than that. So most of my pay is going to retirement but I hope to get a bike before the spring. I have been doing small sketches of paintings to do when I retire. I usually gain when I start working full-time but this time I am working remotely and hope to get back to losing weight soon.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I have been busier at my new job and lost my streak on MFP. I have today off since I get 1 day of Professional leave I have to use before the end of the year. This is the day I shop and cook for Christmas Eve. Although extended family will not be here for that this year I am doing the main dishes for the 3 of us at home. I went to Pike Place market as usual but ordered ahead for contactless pick up and a short buy at the fish market for smoked salmon. So I will start cooking after this. I usually don't gain since I cook so much and have increased activity cooking and shopping. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays and I hope to check in again to wish you Happy New Years.
  • trekkie123
    Options
    Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and prayers for health in the New Year! Hasta la vista 2020!!!!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) We decided to be even safer and switched to curbside pickup at the grocery store and the pharmacy. we had been limiting the stores we went to and now we don't even go in.
  • j29t
    j29t Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wishing everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy 2021. Home alone for the first time in 74 years, glad to have maintained my weight and the few cookies I have are being tracked and treated like a one a day vitamin. Stay healthy and safe.
    Peace and Joy to all,
    Janet