Freezing raw meet twice? Bad idea or is it safe?

2»

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    Hey, I got a disagree!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    It's old hat for me! (I have 549, at least some of which are from statements of personal preferences.) For what it's worth, I think kshama's info is right about safety -- I tend to focus on number of days not frozen, which is as I understand it the safety concern -- but that for quality whether it's been actually defrosted and refrozen is something to avoid, but I don't have an issue if I put something in the refrigerator for a bit and then change my mind before it is unfrozen.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I decided to throw it away because it kept bothering me like what if my guests will get sick? It's a waste but I don't want to give food poisoning for late Christmas.

You could try the pet test. If you have a cat or a dog, remember that they have a better sense of smell than we do. If your pets won't eat some, chuck it.
    My dog eats a LOT of things I wouldn’t 🤢 I trust her for safe water sources (long story), for some reason she is more particular about that...

I don't advocate eating anything your dog is willing to eat. However as a minimum standard, if there is a piece of meat the dog won't eat, I would avoid it too. My step dad probably could have used a dog. Before he moved in with us he used to get food poisoning all the time because botched reconstructive surgery following a broken nose left him with no sense of smell, so he couldn't tell if food had gone off.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    According to the USDA, refreezing isn't a food safety issue as long as the food hasn't been in the "danger zone" (45F+) for more than two hours. They do note refreezing can change the texture of foods in negative ways but safety isn't a problem.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I decided to throw it away because it kept bothering me like what if my guests will get sick? It's a waste but I don't want to give food poisoning for late Christmas.

You could try the pet test. If you have a cat or a dog, remember that they have a better sense of smell than we do. If your pets won't eat some, chuck it.

i have 2 great Pyrenees that will haul a deer carcass that's falling apart through our upper pasture and gnaw down like its a feast.

I'm not going by their judgement :D