Help needed for a brighter 2021

Options
Hi all,
I only came across this app today and would be grateful if any of you could give me tips on how best to use it. I am living in Ireland. I have tried every diet under the sun but I feel that this might work. Just hit 50 so weight loss is becoming more challenging. Thank you for any tips you may have...Liz

Replies

• santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Count everything you eat, even if it’s not a “serving size”. Those nibbles here and there add up! Make sure to update your status and interact with others, it really helps keep you motivated!
  • elizabethlyne123
    elizabethlyne123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks a million I will take your advice :)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? If not get one. What you think is a serving size is most likely much more than one serving. 😊
  • elizabethlyne123
    Options
    I must get batteries for the one I have somewhere...need to really organise myself to do this right ...do you stick with a certain calorie intake?
  • elizabethlyne123
    Options
    Sorry for all the questions
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    Currently, I’m set to lose 1 lb a week in the app (I have 35 lbs to lose; lost 32 so far). I get 1310 calories per day (sedentary desk job). I add in my exercise on the days I get it in (usually some form of exercise 6-7 days a week even if it’s only the dog walk).

I eat a portion (but sometimes all) of my exercise calories back. I also do a maintenance week every 8-9 weeks. I go into goals and simply change it from losing 1 lb a week to maintaining and then I get 1810 calories a day.

As you lose, reset your goal to get your new calorie amount. I have never had Mfp do this automatically for me. I usually update every 10 lbs or so to get my new calorie intake.
  • elizabethlyne123
    Options
    Brilliant that actually clears up something for me. MFP set my calories to 1310 but I thought it was a mistake so I manually set to 1500 🤭
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    You can eat 1500 and lose (depends on how much you have to lose and how patient you are). I originally selected 2 lbs to lose and got 1200 calories. After a few weeks of being miserable, I changed my goal loss per week to 1 lb a week. Sometimes I eat a little less or exercise a little more and lose over a lb. sometimes I don’t exercise much or eat over multiple days and stay the same, lose less than 1 lb or even gain a little.

There is no 1 “right” answer, except that you have to eat in a deficit to lose weight. How you achieve said deficit or how large you want that deficit to be, that’s all highly individual.