Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    wpyf4q0bdxk3.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) Any day is a good day to recommit to a healthy way of living. That is my plan for today

<3 Barbie
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Welcome to th club Julie!
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hello. I’m here because I am overweight and out of shape. Like all people, I have some challenges. One of my heel bones was crushed in a car crash years ago. My last surgery was bone spur removal last July. I have limited range of motion and pain when walking or standing. Through pandemic times, I’ve been even more inactive than usual. I’ve found a resource for exercise for limited mobility (HASfit) but I’ve never done well in sticking to exercise. I’m hoping to do better this time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Hello. I’m here because I am overweight and out of shape. Like all people, I have some challenges. One of my heel bones was crushed in a car crash years ago. My last surgery was bone spur removal last July. I have limited range of motion and pain when walking or standing. Through pandemic times, I’ve been even more inactive than usual. I’ve found a resource for exercise for limited mobility (HASfit) but I’ve never done well in sticking to exercise. I’m hoping to do better this time.

Y'know, speaking as a long-time active person (started in my mid-40s, after cancer treatment, even though still obese): It's hard at first. It's a big change of habits. I found, though, that after I'd been doing it for a while, I'd notice that if I stopped, I'd gradually start feeling *worse*: More tense, creakier joints, crankier mood.

I'm not sure how long it takes to get there, don't remember, and it's probably individual anyway; but I've seen others here say similar things, who'd managed to make the habit in the first place.

A big deal, IMO, is trying different things until we find something that's enjoyable, or at least very tolerable, so that we do it regularly. It can make a lot of sense to start with shorter time periods, lower intensity, so it's easy to sneak it into the day, then move on from there gradually, as it's manageable.

Regardless, wishing you much success!
  • witkowra567
    witkowra567 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    pippo_11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I’m 60 and from Australia. In September last year I had my blood tested, and everything checked out ok, except my cholesterol is 7.1 when it should be 4.0! Dr said to aim for 5.5 in 6 months time, so my next test is in March. I’ve researched foods with good and bad fats, and changed my diet accordingly. I walk probably an hour each day at a brisk pace. I’m currently losing 1kg every 3 weeks, so I’m pretty happy with that. Although my BMI is ok, it’s on the high end of the scale. I’m losing belly fat too, which I was hoping for.

Get rid of in hour diet first. Remove sugar as much as possible
  • kyungs
    kyungs Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I’ve accumulated a bunch of exercise equipment with lofty fitness goals while quarantined but unfortunately, I also discovered that I didnt have the wherewithall to develop a fitness routine. The apps and routines I found online expected me to do things that were just plain ridiculous for my age and limitations (never gonna do burpees, nope, never). Then, just recently, I found an app called Fitbod. I like it because you can tell it what exercise equipment you have, which exercises you CAN’T (or dont want to) do, how much time per day you want to exercise and the app builds the daily routines for you. The app is free for a week then $30/year. If you need help building a routine for your physical limitations and available equipment, I suggest you try it out. There is also a video of each exercise.
  • teresadannar
    teresadannar Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    kyungs, thanks for sharing this!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Hey, y'all! Haven't checked in here in awhile. Will be more diligent in the new year.

Fell while out fishing back in October. Fractured a bone in my right hand. That gave me an excuse to skip the gym for a while. I decided to just try to maintain weight while waiting for fracture to heal. Kept up on the walking and hiking and managed to hold the weight below 200. So now I'm ready to get back under the bar and get rid of that last stubborn 20 pounds.

Happy New Year, everyone!🍸
  • kyungs
    Options
    Ugh! just walked by the christmas cookie dish and stuffed one in my face without even thinking. Cripes.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    kyungs wrote: »
    Ugh! just walked by the christmas cookie dish and stuffed one in my face without even thinking. Cripes.

Heard that. I moved all the leftover Christmas candy to the downstairs freezer this morning. Because I kept walking by and grabbing one (or three) without thinking.
  • echojuliet21
    echojuliet21 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all, looking at intermittent fasting as a new way forward in 2021. is anyone doing this now or have experience with it. Im planning on lunch dinner and skip brekkie. I was never a breakfast person.
  • kyungs
    Options
    Good Morning all, looking at intermittent fasting as a new way forward in 2021. is anyone doing this now or have experience with it. Im planning on lunch dinner and skip brekkie. I was never a breakfast person.

Tried it once... very briefly - the problem I had was separating my mealtime from my family so drastically.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Glad you’re feeling better Steve!
  • alteredsteve175
    Options

I have done intermittent fasting in the past. Worked well for me because I tended to eat and snack heavily in the evening. I used an 8 hour window - eating between 2 pm and 10 pm. Taught me the difference between eating as a habit and eating when I was actually hungry. Now I typically have a protein bar in the morning - then eat lunch and dinner when I'm hungry. It works well as long as you control your calorie intake.
  • alteredsteve175
    Options
    trekkie123 wrote: »
    Glad you’re feeling better Steve!

Thanks, Mindi. I appreciate your kind words. You are a very supportive friend. Except that you won't come over to my house and make me roll out the yoga mat and stretch my old bones. 🧘‍♀️👍 I need a kick in the *kitten*!🦵 HAHA! 😁

• alteredsteve175
    Options
    I belong to an MFP group called "Lose a Pound a Week". They are signing up new members right now. Very supportive group with lots of encouragement. Different challenges each week and a weekly weight log-in to keep you motivated. Join us if you like!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10818588/need-a-helpful-and-motivational-group-join-our-lose-1-pound-a-week-and-keep-it-off-2021/p1