Where do you buy sneakers?

Options
2»

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck on ebay finding discounts, especially on previous years' models. If you know size and model it's easy to find listings; I've gotten golf shoes, running shoes, and lifting shoes at deep discounts over the last few years.
  • kristen5286
    kristen5286 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    We have a good local running store, which replaced the really bad local running store. (Former one had no shoes in my wide size - ever.)

Do you have a Fleet Feet near you? Or Roadrunner Sports?

I ended up going to Fleet Feet and bought a pair of Brooks and they are amazing!! Best shoes I've ever owned!

See you already got some but the Aurora (IL) Outlet Mall (think the official name is Chicago Premium Outlets) has stores for several of the major brands of "sneakers"

Same with the Pleasant Prairie (WI) premium outlets. May be closer depending on what part of Chicago you're located in. Just north of the Il border on I-94.

We are downstate IL but go to Chicago area and WI several times a year so stock up.

Can find some really good deals.

I'm on the north side of the city (north of Oak Park, but still in the city) but I will look into both of these outlets. Thank you!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I have bought some from academy online, Amazon, 6pm.com, and holabird

I've considered buying online. I just really need to try the shoes on, though. I'm so picky. I need tons of support while also feeling like I'm walking on clouds!

Sketchers has a new Hoka knockoff that's amazing. Like $70 if you can find them. Exactly what you're describing. I bought my wife a pair of real deal Hokas ($220, yikes!). Bought myself the knockoff Sketchers ones and they look the same. $70. Feel fantastic. I'm pretty picky about my shoes as well.

I saw you've bought Brooks. Both my wife and I have owned several pairs of Brooks. They don't compare to either the Hokas or the Skechers max cushion. Not even close. Sorry, they are $90, not $70 (I must have gotten a great deal). We bought my daughter these for X-mas. She will love them.

https://www.skechers.com/women/shoes/skechers-max-cushioning-elite/17693_PRPK.html
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I buy most of my runners online but I have stayed with the same couple of shoes (with varying iterations) for years. If, for some reason, I needed to go to different type (ie stability vs neutral) I'd go to a running shop for a gait analysis and buy at least my first pair of the new shoes from them (going to a shop & them buying online is a dick move).
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I buy all my shoes from Zappos, sneakers included.

The brand of sneaker I stick with is New Balance.
  • kristen5286
    Options

I've considered buying online. I just really need to try the shoes on, though. I'm so picky. I need tons of support while also feeling like I'm walking on clouds!

Sketchers has a new Hoka knockoff that's amazing. Like $70 if you can find them. Exactly what you're describing. I bought my wife a pair of real deal Hokas ($220, yikes!). Bought myself the knockoff Sketchers ones and they look the same. $70. Feel fantastic. I'm pretty picky about my shoes as well.

I saw you've bought Brooks. Both my wife and I have owned several pairs of Brooks. They don't compare to either the Hokas or the Skechers max cushion. Not even close. Sorry, they are $90, not $70 (I must have gotten a great deal). We bought my daughter these for X-mas. She will love them.

https://www.skechers.com/women/shoes/skechers-max-cushioning-elite/17693_PRPK.html

Thank you! I'll check these out!!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    REI if possible because I can try them on and they have a great return policy and I earn a rebate.
  • NurseTaco_RN
    NurseTaco_RN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I buy all my athletic shoes from Comfort One because I only really like On Running shoes and I prefer trying them on before I buy.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    REI if possible because I can try them on and they have a great return policy and I earn a rebate.

I was gonna say REI for the same reasons. They allow you to return shoes for any reason within a year, even after wearing. I ended up returning some Brooks adrenaline GTS 19s after almost a month of running in them because they changed the model from the 18 and I thought I could get used to them but I never did. I have also found great deals from the REI garage sale which is where they sell the returned stuff. The sale includes the ticket from the previous return so you know what you’re getting into. Got a pair of lovely Salomon speedcross which the previous wearer commented on the return ticket felt like running in cleats to her - which they do, on roads, but are great on trails!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hokas make me feel like I’m running with mattresses strapped to my feet! Which is why I think it’s important to have a good return policy or a store which will let you try on, because each runner is different. I tested the famous Nike next% and for me it felt like running on ice skates!
  • kristen5286
    Options

Hokas make me feel like I’m running with mattresses strapped to my feet! Which is why I think it’s important to have a good return policy or a store which will let you try on, because each runner is different. I tested the famous Nike next% and for me it felt like running on ice skates!

I have never found a Nike that felt great. :( Some of the styles are really attractive looking but they just don't do it for me *shrugs*
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Academy, but I moved to Chicago and they don't have one here. I typically prefer New Balance. I will be using them for walking (casual and brisk pace) and occasional jogging. Where is the best place to buy exercise sneakers??

There's a New Balance store in Chicago. Possibly one in oak brook and one at clark & Fullerton..going by memory. Look them up.

If you're a runner I highly suggest any of the local running stores. They are scattered throughout the city and burbs.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I live in suburbs of Chicago and go to Dick Ponds running store. Make sure you get a shoe that is fitted for your foot and ankle. If you went to Fleet Feet they would have fitted you also.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Depends what they’re for.
    Running or walking for exercise, The Running Room. They examine gait and wear-patterns to help choose the right shoe.
    For errand running or light exercise then anywhere like Famous Footwear, local places, Under Armour, etc.
  • slade51
    slade51 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Local Fleet Feet for running, usually Brook or Asics. They take the time to match you with the right pair. I like to have two to switch off, and sometimes will buy a duplicate online.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

I try them on in store. Buy a pair and make sure they work and then order online, usually for less $$$.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Usually New Balance because they work well with my foot shape. Their quality isn't as good as it used to be, though. I also have a pair of Adidas sneakers that I really like and held up better than I thought it would. I have considered trying Keen sneakers because I have a pair of their sandals and they are very comfortable, supportive, and durable. I only wear velcro or slip-on shoes, or the kind with those adjustable loops instead of laces, because I hate laces (both the way they look and the inconvenience of them).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

I'd think Hokas or the knock off Sketchers with the super thick and soft soles would mess up the wearer's proprioception.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Costco.
    But I do most of my workouts bare feet.