FIFTY FREAKING POUNDS!!!!!!!!!!

Options
50 pounds. That is how much I have gained over the past 2 years. I could blame the depression, I could blame changed eating habits since getting married, I could blame any number of things. But, as we all know, we make our own choices. I have developed some VERY bad habits, that 6 years ago, I wouldn't have been able to imagine myself doing. I lost 130+ pounds. I had more to go, but was looking fairly decent. but I've gained FIFTY FREAKING POUNDS BACK! I can't even blame covid, since its been creeping up for the past TWO YEARS.

You know what the kick in my *kitten* was? vanity. I mean, it usually is, for many at least. but on Christmas eve morning, as I was getting dressed while waiting for my daughter and her boyfriend to get here.... I couldn't find any clothes- any REAL CLOTHES - that fit. Plenty of leggings and oversized hoodies and bum around the house and farm wear. But no REAL CLOTHES. Nothing fit, and what did fit, was scrummy looking or I hated. Apparently, leggings and tunics are the devil in disguise when it comes to weight gain.

So, I think for now, as with starting any new habit, I will be starting slowly. Just as I did before. Small changes equal bigger changes. Plan and log my food. DO NOT EAT IN BED AT NIGHT (because it's all junky sweet foods I eat in bed at night. usually with a big cup of milk!). Go to the gym a couple of days a week. Keep it easy, keep it slow. Be consistent and don't worry about challenging myself. just being a better version of myself. or, doing the best I can that day.

Speaking of the gym... I used to be able to easily do an hour. Often an hour and a half, and on rare occasions longer. Today? 30 minutes before I developed a cramp in my side SO bad, I had to stop. I wanted to cry out of frustration. Endurance wise I felt fine, but that cramp had other ideas.

And I thought getting INTO my sports bra was hard. Getting out? downright comical!

one day at a time. that will be my mantra.

one. day. at. a. time.

Replies

• rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, I’m in the same hole. I went from 148 to 198 in less than two years time. I’m only 5’5 so that puts me in the obese category. My first goal is to get back down to overweight BMI status of 178 pounds. I plan to be there by the end of April.
    What are your weightless goals? Timeframe wise?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    rachelrjh wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing, I’m in the same hole. I went from 148 to 198 in less than two years time. I’m only 5’5 so that puts me in the obese category. My first goal is to get back down to overweight BMI status of 178 pounds. I plan to be there by the end of April.
    What are your weightless goals? Timeframe wise?

in an ideal world 150 and I don't put time constraints on it. even numbers are arbitrary for me, as its more of how I FEEL than what a number on a scale or pair of jeans says.
  • The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Wishing you both much success! I have lost 55lbs so far and still need to lose 30lb more.
  • rachelrjh
    rachelrjh Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    How long did it take to lose 55? And do you exercise a lot?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Creeper weight. I know it well. When I've lost/ maintained for a good stretch, I have a bad habit of getting cocky and not weighing as often and/or not logging regularly. This inevitably sets me up for a reckoning day when I step back on the scale again . . . cringing.

The good news is you know what you need to do AND you know you can do it because you've done it before (as I have more times than I like to count)!

Make this a success story!
  • suefitnessaccount
    suefitnessaccount Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's good that you have noticed at 50lbs rather than 60 or 70. You've got your plan ready, which sounds realistic and positive. I particularly like your mantra of doing the best you can do that day - because some days are so much harder than others.

For me, I have arrived at my highest ever (barring late pregnancy) weight of 203lbs, which at 5'4 is well into obese territory and I can really feel it. Lockdown/closed gyms here have made exercising more difficult, especially when there are 4 teenage boys/men constantly in my house that like mocking me (or just being there!) when I workout at home.
    I need to commit to logging daily (and truthfully) and using my new fitness tracker to get my steps up each day.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    edited December 2020
    Options
    nevermind, question wasnt for me LOL
  • The_Elephant_Man
    Options
    You can still answer. lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    You can still answer. lol

well, I don't know how long it took me to lose 55 pounds LOL it was a long time ago. took 2 years to gain BACK though LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • The_Elephant_Man
    edited December 2020
    Options
    YES, Much faster a to gain than lose!! However the main thing is to NEVER give up!!
    Losing weight is hard and stressful, so might as well have fun and make it interesting!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    YES, Much faster a to gain than lose!! However the main thing is to NEVER give up!!
    Losing weight is hard and stressful, so might as well have fun and make it interesting!

yuuup which is why I don't try to say 'ill lose this much by this date'

I figure if I weigh less this time next month than what I do now ... its a win.
  • The_Elephant_Man
    Options
    @callsitlikeiseeit I sent you a request
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    FWIW, it initially took me just less than a year to lose 50ish pounds (in 2015), once that switch flipped in my brain. Faster at first, very slow at the end. (If I knew how to flip the switch, I'd bottle it and sell it. 😉)

I had some weigh creep up over nearly 5 years from then to last Fall (super slow, 10-15 pounds or so up, still in a tolerable range, just not ideal). Last Fall, I decided to creep it back down again, and am getting close to hopping off that bus.

In mostly to observe that a small calorie deficit is still a calorie deficit, and will lead to improvement . . . and it's pretty painless, relatively speaking. I get that you probably want a little faster pace at first than that pound a month, but the principle still applies.

Gaining 50 pounds in 2 years is about a 500 calorie daily surplus, on average. That's not a huge number, really. Some logging; some cutting out foods you find less tasty, filling, or goal-supporting; move a little more in daily life; add back some manageable exercise . . . and your weight starts heading in the other direction again. Betting you can do it.

Best wishes!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, it initially took me just less than a year to lose 50ish pounds (in 2015), once that switch flipped in my brain. Faster at first, very slow at the end. (If I knew how to flip the switch, I'd bottle it and sell it. 😉)

I had some weigh creep up over nearly 5 years from then to last Fall (super slow, 10-15 pounds or so up, still in a tolerable range, just not ideal). Last Fall, I decided to creep it back down again, and am getting close to hopping off that bus.

In mostly to observe that a small calorie deficit is still a calorie deficit, and will lead to improvement . . . and it's pretty painless, relatively speaking. I get that you probably want a little faster pace at first than that pound a month, but the principle still applies.

Gaining 50 pounds in 2 years is about a 500 calorie daily surplus, on average. That's not a huge number, really. Some logging; some cutting out foods you find less tasty, filling, or goal-supporting; move a little more in daily life; add back some manageable exercise . . . and your weight starts heading in the other direction again. Betting you can do it.

Best wishes!

<3 thanks!!
  • fittwitt1972
    fittwitt1972 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You had me at nothing to wear!! And sports bra? That's all I wear. A normal bra is too tight. I'm up 20-30pds. I'm afraid to weigh myself. I just know I'm where I was 4yrs ago if not bigger. I'm so disappointed in myself. Love your game plan. Our gyms here are closed due to covid and I havent had the motivation to work out at home. I need that push. I feel to fat to work out if that makes sense. Your story is motivating. Thank you for sharing.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    You had me at nothing to wear!! And sports bra? That's all I wear. A normal bra is too tight. I'm up 20-30pds. I'm afraid to weigh myself. I just know I'm where I was 4yrs ago if not bigger. I'm so disappointed in myself. Love your game plan. Our gyms here are closed due to covid and I havent had the motivation to work out at home. I need that push. I feel to fat to work out if that makes sense. Your story is motivating. Thank you for sharing.

i wear those little cami bras.

very forgiving.

very.

LOLOLOLOL

when I first lost my weight, I truly don't know my starting point. i didn't have a scale and I didn't want to know. by the time I DID, I was right at 300 pounds and had been losing weight for maybe a month or two. so, the starting point was higher, but I go by the number I know for certain.

my gym has been open for awhile now, not that I've ever seen many in there. its a very small rural town ymca and mostly much older patrons in there, and most of them are staying home. I used to walk but have moved since then and our street, while mostly quiet, is VERY narrow and people tend to FLY down it. because its such a windy road, I don't feel sale walking, especially if I were to take one of my dogs (which i would). our pastures and fields for the livestock are too muddy and uneven to try and do purposeful exercise. not to mention id have a variety of critters begging for my attention and hoping I had food or treats of some variety in my pockets and chickens and ducks literally under my feet LMAOOOOOOOOO

Dont feel self conscious working out (whether at home or the gym). at the gym, no one is thinking about you, I promise. They are in their own little world and working on their own goals. I've been a member of several different gyms over the years, with a WIDE range of clientele from old folks like this one, to a planet fitness (which was actually my favorite) to one that was more weight lifters/body builders. no one cares. trust me.
  • BetterAlexxa
    BetterAlexxa Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Had me at nothing to wear. It's so hard for me to buy new clothes because I don't feel like rewarding myself for having gained so much weight lately. 20 kg ( 40 lbs) in 2 years and a half. That's enormous and it isn't very comfortable physically or mentally. I start today with 80 kg ( 177 lbs). MFP says I should eat 1280 calories which seems very low for me right now. Should I trust it and eat that less all of a sudden or start with 1400-1500 and go lower if it doesn't work? Exercise is a big no for me at the moment.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    Had me at nothing to wear. It's so hard for me to buy new clothes because I don't feel like rewarding myself for having gained so much weight lately. 20 kg ( 40 lbs) in 2 years and a half. That's enormous and it isn't very comfortable physically or mentally. I start today with 80 kg ( 177 lbs). MFP says I should eat 1280 calories which seems very low for me right now. Should I trust it and eat that less all of a sudden or start with 1400-1500 and go lower if it doesn't work? Exercise is a big no for me at the moment.

how tall are you? 1200/1300 calories is really low, and from personal experience, REALLY hard to keep to. I can do it for a week or so.... but any longer and I start to binge on crap I don't need, and that never helps matters. I'm 5'1 and 43. so... short and old(er). i still lose on 1400/1500 and don't feel like I'm starving myself.
  • BetterAlexxa
    BetterAlexxa Posts: 6 Member
    Options

how tall are you? 1200/1300 calories is really low, and from personal experience, REALLY hard to keep to. I can do it for a week or so.... but any longer and I start to binge on crap I don't need, and that never helps matters. I'm 5'1 and 43. so... short and old(er). i still lose on 1400/1500 and don't feel like I'm starving myself.

I am 5'2. In the past, I would lose weight at 1200 - 1300 calories but it really seems very low to me now. I'm gonna start with 1400-1500, as I said, and see if I have to lower it down, depending on how my body reacts.
    I have to save some calories for the night, cause my stomach hurts like hell if I go to bed with it empty. This is a recent problem cause I had some problems due to mother's death this year and I had to take some pills for acid reflux.