Beginner-please advise

Options
What exercises would you suggest to a beginner? Where I am, gyms are closed so I need to find ways to exercise at home but dont know which exercises are best for someone like me who hasn't been too active lately.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Hey there! What, if any, equipment do you have at home and what are your fitness goals?
  • kally_wph
    kally_wph Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I only have a yoga mat and some weights. I haven't really thought of my goals, I just want to feel healthier and eventually lose some weight
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what your goals are. But I would suggest running. All you need is a pair running shoes that fit and then you’re good to go. Running is really good for you and suitable for all fitness levels. Download the free version of C25K and you’ll learn how to go from no exercise to running 5k in 12 weeks. You can use your yoga mat and weights on non running days.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you search for "low impact beginner ____ workout" on Youtube or wherever, you should find something - fill in the blank with whatever you're looking to do (e.g., cardio, kickboxing, strength, dumbbells, bodyweight...)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I think in order for true advice to be given, you need to know what your goals are. Feeling healthier can be accomplished through food choices and as suggested, possibly walking more. Losing weight is about CICO and requires 0 exercise.

That said, if you have some form of exercise you have enjoyed and done in the past, I would suggest doing that again. If not, experiment with YouTube videos and see what you like and don’t like.
  • Xierrax
    Xierrax Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love running and running has been the exercise that made me interested in other sports. So I'd highly suggest that as A as a beginner I think it's easy to see progress quick (e.g. C25K) which makes it easy to stay motivated and B it's easy to work towards a specific goal whether it is to complete a certain race, complete a certain distance or even just saving time to go from A to B.

Other than that there are a lot of home workouts to try out on YouTube which might help you find out which types of exercises you enjoy and which not so much. As a beginner I found both Yoga and Pilates helpful for general strength/flexibility and HIIT for weight loss/endurance.
  • nataliepate25
    nataliepate25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well you can do Squats, Planks, Mountain climbers, Crunches because you said you are a beginner but keep in mind to do only 7-10 reps of each. Otherwise you're gonna blame me for having pain.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    So many exercise routines available online. I subscribe to BeachBody on demand. It’s $120 for the year. They are constantly trying to sell other stuff, I do t buy any of it. I like that they’ve put together workout programs with a calendar. You try a sample workout, decide to do the program, then follow the calendar. If you decide you don’t like it or it is too hard or too easy, then start a different program. They have a great search tool to select a program.
    Good luck
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Walking is a great place to start. Leslie Sansome’s Walk at Home vids include a lot of variations for additional exercise.
  • swiftgirlm
    swiftgirlm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    NTC app has great workouts. I hook up my phone to the TV and let Betina Gozo lead the way!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    go for a walk. you lose weight in the kitchen. you gain fitness in the gym (or other workouts).

Lots of at home workouts on youtube.