is losing 20 pounds in 4 months realistic?

Options
I am wanting to lose 30 pounds total on my weight loss journey before april 23rd (my 21st birthday) but i was really wanting to lose at least 20 pounds by christmas. but i dont know much about dieting and exercising so I am not sure this is realistic and I want to do this in a healthy manner, not some fad diet. so does anyone know if this is a realistic goal that wont make my body sick and if you have done this do you have so helpful tips. i used to be 30 or 35 pounds lighter when I first met my boyfriend but when I met his family for the first time I gained a lot of weight so they have not ever seen me skinny. And every year at christmas my boyfriend's family takes family photos for christmas cards and they always ask me to be in it, but i HATE it because I look like a cow compared to his fit family and I dont want to be remembered by that. I really want to surprise them and just be healthy and feel better about myself (:

Replies

• gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    Thats more than realistic!!

1-2lb a week is a moderate amount to lose, 8lb a month, so 2 and a half months would get you there at 2lb a week but obviously you can ajust any type of goals to your own satisfaction.

Good luck!
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    You have a great motivator there. Don't worry about the numbers too much, just start eating great and start exercising like a demon and you'll look and feel great for those photos.
    Ps I think the numbers are doable too!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to lose 30 pounds total on my weight loss journey before april 23rd (my 21st birthday) but i was really wanting to lose at least 20 pounds by christmas. but i dont know much about dieting and exercising so I am not sure this is realistic and I want to do this in a healthy manner, not some fad diet. so does anyone know if this is a realistic goal that wont make my body sick and if you have done this do you have so helpful tips. i used to be 30 or 35 pounds lighter when I first met my boyfriend but when I met his family for the first time I gained a lot of weight so they have not ever seen me skinny. And every year at christmas my boyfriend's family takes family photos for christmas cards and they always ask me to be in it, but i HATE it because I look like a cow compared to his fit family and I dont want to be remembered by that. I really want to surprise them and just be healthy and feel better about myself (:

yep, and achievable. but you have to ask yourself a big question: I lose 20 lbs in xxxxx amount of time...then what?

I really hope that the effort you put in in dropping those extra 20lbs also sets a foundation for being healthy generally.

Im at a very close stage to hitting my weight goal, and always asking myself..'' no what''?

maintenance can be as hard, if not harder than losing weight in the first instance...a few lbs here or there makes no difference to me if , overall, i have healthy eating and exercise habits as an addition to my life :-)
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Without a doubt it's doable. If you apply yourself & overcome the diet & excercise obstacles you'll surprise yourself.

-don't starve yourself
    -be patient
    -train with intensity

& before you know it your goal will be reached & then some.
  • jstewmo
    Options
    Been on here 3 weeks and lost 9 lbs
  • TexasRose423
    TexasRose423 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    wow howd you do that?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's doable....but a lot depends on where you are now. If you're anyway close to a healthy bmi and just looking to shed "vanity pounds" then that's a bit more difficult than if you have quite a bit to lose.

Good for you and looking for a healthy option rather than a quick fix - and good luck!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The last 30lbs people have to lose come off the slowest, I think a good number for most of those people that have just 30lbs to lose is about 5lbs a month...sometimes more, sometimes less. Its completely healthy to lose 20lbs in 4months, u shouldn't try to lose more than 10 a month. Just eat well and it will come off, and excercise will help earn u extra calories as well as make u more tone. Don't worry about numbers to much, don't get upset if one month u only lose 2lbs, because maybe that means the next month ull lose 8, u never know, so never let the numbers discourage u or get u down.

Also I should mention, u might lose more the first month due to toxins flushing out and the shock to ur body, this is normal.

Drink plenty of water!! 8cups a day is a minimum, not a maximum.
  • annacataldo
    Options
    wow howd you do that?

He did that because he is bigger. Bigger people can lose alot quicker. I've lost over 63lbs in 6months, because I started at 313. At my 3week mark I was down in the 200s. More water weight and bigger shock on the body, etc... I doubt any smaller person would see these types of results. If I had started at 213 instead, no way could I have lost 63lbs in 6months.
  • TexasRose423
    Options
    The last 30lbs people have to lose come off the slowest, I think a good number for most of those people that have just 30lbs to lose is about 5lbs a month...sometimes more, sometimes less. Its completely healthy to lose 20lbs in 4months, u shouldn't try to lose more than 10 a month. Just eat well and it will come off, and excercise will help earn u extra calories as well as make u more tone. Don't worry about numbers to much, don't get upset if one month u only lose 2lbs, because maybe that means the next month ull lose 8, u never know, so never let the numbers discourage u or get u down.

Also I should mention, u might lose more the first month due to toxins flushing out and the shock to ur body, this is normal.

Drink plenty of water!! 8cups a day is a minimum, not a maximum.

you're right i shouldnt worry about the numbers but i am about 20-30 pounds over weight and so my doctor is pressuring me to be worried about numbers. so yeah, its a lot of pressure. she's always asking me what i am doing to lose weight and always telling me to do more but overall i do want to be healthy either way.
  • TexasRose423
    Options
    wow howd you do that?

He did that because he is bigger. Bigger people can lose alot quicker. I've lost over 63lbs in 6months, because I started at 313. At my 3week mark I was down in the 200s. More water weight and bigger shock on the body, etc... I doubt any smaller person would see these types of results. If I had started at 213 instead, no way could I have lost 63lbs in 6months.

i guess you're right. i am overweight but not considered obese. its strange that it would be harder for me to lose weight though.
    but either way congrats on the weight loss. it is very inspiring!
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I went from 120 lbs to 110 lbs in a little over a month. and I was still allowing myself to have some cheat days here and there, and drink alcohol at celebrations. One thing I did do is exercise almost every day! I am very happy with the weight I am at now, and how fit I am from all of the exercise.

Good luck! Put in the energy and excitement and you'll do well!
  • junior510
    Options
    i began eating about 5-6 small meals every 2-3 hours and lost about 28lbs my first month and jogging every other day a 1-3 miles..but after that the first month the weight loss slowed down big time..most of the weight at the beginning is just water weight ...its definitely possible with a lil work
  • annacataldo
    Options
    wow howd you do that?

i guess you're right. i am overweight but not considered obese. its strange that it would be harder for me to lose weight though.
    but either way congrats on the weight loss. it is very inspiring!

Thanks. Its harder for u to lose weight because bigger people burn more calories while excercising..were pullin around an extra 100lbs all the time. I might've burned 300calories doing an activity at 300lbs, but at 150lbs maybe id only burn 50 calories doing exact same activity. Also the calorie intake is different and smaller people struggle with starvation mode more, something ur body can slip into even when u feel full and satisfied from meals, so its important to eat ur calories.
  • martinh78
    Options
    I've lost 14lbs in 40 days, so yeah, it's possible.

Eat plenty of GOOD foods (fruits, veggies etc). Cut out saturated fats such as butters and cheeses etc. Cut out fried goods and baked goods and packet goods etc. Exercise regularly, make each session count. Factor in a rest day each week. STICK TO MFP GOALS and you'll do great.

Sounds easy doesn't it...lets hope it is in four months because this is something you need to be able to maintain for life.

Setting goals is good for some people, but as said above, "then what". Use the time to get into good habbits, ones you can maintain for life.

Best of luck, sure you can do it!
  • ayesha30
    Options
    I did it, very realistic!!:happy:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If you only have 20-30 pounds to lose, then no, it's not realistic. It's more realistic to shoot for .5 to 1 pound per week. It will be much healthier and more sustainable in the long-term.
  • AimingHighWeighingLow
    Options
    I lost 14lb in a month! So 20lb in four months is very realistic and I don't think would take much effort as it's around a pound a week!
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Its totally doable but you have to prepare yourself for a lot of hard work in the gym, and for moodswings from eating less the you are used to. Dont be to focused on the weight in lbs, you want to more fit and if you gain muscle but dont loose as much as anticapated its not the end of the world. Also, youre still young so when you get in to it I think you will loose it quite easily.