I need motivation buddies

Options
Please join me on my new (again) journey to a healthier 2021..I am 50 years old with the pounds sticking like glue...would love to friend like minded people. I lead a normal life as a working mum. I hope to lose 30 pounds by the summer but not going to starve myself. I want to enjoy the journey without striving for the finish line...feel free to add me and we can hopefully motivate one another...liz

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome! Looks like you already found the group for women over 50 - that should be a good spot to find people with similar interests and goals. Wishing you much success!
  • elizabethlyne123
    elizabethlyne123 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes I have and it looks like a great group. Thank you very much Ann
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Best of luck on your journey, I hope you find a lot of support here to help you meet your goals. Sounds like you have a healthy goal in mind for the summer and a good mindset. Just remember that there are going to be weeks that suck, so don't always rely on the scale. I judge myself a lot by how my clothes fit and how I generally feel when the scale isn't being so kind.
  • ah1721
    ah1721 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same. I am committed to losing the weight I’ve gained since Covid and then some. I’m a 51 year working mom as well and am tired of trying to do this alone. My family all can eat whatever they want while I gain weight just watching them. My goal is to lose 15 pounds by summer but to more importantly make exercise a regular part of my daily life. Looking forward to helping each other out!
  • elizabethlyne123
    Options
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    Welcome!! Best of luck on your journey, I hope you find a lot of support here to help you meet your goals. Sounds like you have a healthy goal in mind for the summer and a good mindset. Just remember that there are going to be weeks that suck, so don't always rely on the scale. I judge myself a lot by how my clothes fit and how I generally feel when the scale isn't being so kind.

totally agree about the scales...its more about clothes fitting!
  • elizabethlyne123
    Options
    ah1721 wrote: »
    I am feeling the same. I am committed to losing the weight I’ve gained since Covid and then some. I’m a 51 year working mom as well and am tired of trying to do this alone. My family all can eat whatever they want while I gain weight just watching them. My goal is to lose 15 pounds by summer but to more importantly make exercise a regular part of my daily life. Looking forward to helping each other out!

I prefer to enjoy the journey and like you, I feel as though just looking at people eat puts the pounds on!!
  • cathyjog50
    cathyjog50 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I could have written those same words!! Glad we are friends. Here’s to health in 2021.
  • elizabethlyne123
    Options
    Thank you very much. By the way I am finding the calorie count very restrictive
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Thank you very much. By the way I am finding the calorie count very restrictive

What weight loss rate (lb or kg per week) did you tell MFP you wanted to achieve?

Also, restrictive in what way, i.e., are you finding that what you eat leaves you still hungry, or you can't fit the nutrition you think you need into that number of calories, or it's affecting your energy level, or . . . ?

There's a lot of cumulative weight loss experience around here. With more info, maybe some of the old hands can help you work through the problem.
  • elizabethlyne123
    Options
    Hi Ann, My main issue seems to be that I pick a meal and then by the time, I have added all the ingredients, the calories rocket! I am trying but with two young boys at home who can eat literally anything, I may have to start making separate meals...My husband thinks I am mad as a box of frogs as I am so focused on trying to do this right...
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hi Ann, My main issue seems to be that I pick a meal and then by the time, I have added all the ingredients, the calories rocket! I am trying but with two young boys at home who can eat literally anything, I may have to start making separate meals...My husband thinks I am mad as a box of frogs as I am so focused on trying to do this right...

There have been some threads in the Food area in the past about cooking/eating with a family that has different calorie needs. I'm sorry, but I don't have a direct link.

The basic concept, often, is to focus the meal plan on a lean protein and some calorie-efficient sides (veggies and such), then add extra portions of the protein, more starchy carb foods (pasta, rice, potatoes, bread etc.), on-the-side sauces or dressings, for the family members who have higher calorie allowances; the person limiting calories focuses on a reasonable portion of the protein, and adds volume mainly with the more nutrient-dense, calorie-efficient veggies, and uses calorie-efficient condiments/sauces/dressings.

Examples: I've seen people talk about the family having tacos with all the fixins, while the person limiting calories uses the meat as an ingredient in a Mexican-style salad, maybe with salsa as a dressing, and some manageable bits of cheese or the like for flavor. Or maybe pot roast/veggies/potatoes where the calorie-conscious person focuses on a portion of meat, and plenty of veggies, maybe a salad side extra.

There are certainly fattier cuts of meat that can be a calorie issue in themselves (and I can't give you great advice on that - I'm long term vegetarian 😉), but usually the bigger deal is the cooking method (fried vs. broiled/baked for example), and add-ons (sauces, spreads, dressings . . . .). Would it maybe be helpful to think not so much about two different meals, as about different portions of a mixed meal, or even about holding out a portion for yourself of something complex (stew, say) before adding the higher-calorie items for others?

Also, I'd go back to the calorie goal question: How fast are you trying to lose? If you're going for 2 pounds a week, as many do, that can be difficult . . . and it may even not be a very good idea, unless well over 200 pounds, and not very tall. If you only have 30 pounds to lose, half a pound a week is still loss, and I definitely wouldn't go over one pound (that only for the first 15-ish pounds, maybe, besides).

You can also try easing into it, starting with just logging what you eat, without restricting, then start reviewing your diary to see what it would be easiest for you to cut while still staying full, well-nourished, and happy at reduced calories, ideally without adding a bunch of food prep effort/time. From there, gradually reduce calories as you're able. I'm a big believer in making the process easy for ourselves, as that makes it much easier to stick with!

Best wishes!
  • steffijo01
    steffijo01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm dedicating myself to tracking on MFP as its the only way I've ever lost weight in the past!

32 F, no kids, 5'5" Current weight: 68.7 kg (151.5). Goal: 61.5 kg (135.5). I have about 7 kg to lose or 16 pounds.

My daily calorie goal is 1670 right now, but still finding it hard to hit as I feel hungry so easily.

If there are any women or men in similar spots and want to motivate each other add me!
  • Thunder1
    Thunder1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz, same goal ! We can do this together!
  • dancinbythemoon
    dancinbythemoon Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Liz - same story aiming for 15 lbs. Hoping to find like-minded people, as well 🙂
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal of a smaller number of pounds to lose compared to some members trying to lose 100 or more. I'm 170 lbs looking to lose 20. I could use some motivation as well, my downfall are sweets which I swear cause me to overeat other foods, mainly carbs. I'm in the women's over 50 group as well.