MFP is ignoring my stated goals

Options
2»

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    What did you eat when you were gaining weight? How much and what? How fast were you gaining?
  • norman_cates
    norman_cates Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you are TOO CLOSE TO GOAL to lose 1KG per week safely, you will be set to the default lowest calorie setting - 1200 for women and 1500 for men.

How can I be too close to the goal? I'm 10kg (or more) away

Believe it or not, that's a TINY amount of weight to need to lose. Many of us would consider those Vanity Pounds.

Stop trying to lose a kg per week. So near goal, you should be losing no more than 1/2 percent of your current weight per week. If you weigh 75kg, that means you should be expecting to lose no more than 375 Grams per week.

I'm basically 90kg. Aiming at 80 (or 75 if the BMI is to be believed. Which is isn't.)
  • norman_cates
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

What credible person denies that calorie balance is what determines whether one loses, maintains, or gains?

Plenty of people think counting cals is not a sustainable strategy on average and that there are better ways to approach weight loss, but that's different from denying that calories are what actually determine what happens on the scale.

I can only go on my experience that I could show you all IF MFP hadn't lost my data off the website.

Of course, then you will all go "he must have eaten that 3500-4000 calories a week extra without noticing."

Which is possible... But am I really so self deceiving not to have noticed?
  • norman_cates
    Options
    Hooliekom wrote: »

It is science - the way to lose excess fat is to consume fewer calories than you expend. There IS a broad agreement on this - however, how one goes about doing it is where people offer different methods. Anyone claiming to provide advice on fitness whilst disagreeing with the fundamental principle should probably be avoided.

Also, it's not just fat, you can lose muscle mass as well. Which is my fear. Because then metabolism drops even further.

Calories in, calories out is only about weight as we know. It does not have to be fat, it could be ANY part that can be metabolised.

Same with a calorie excess for gaining muscle. Making that aim at muscles, and not turn into fat is the problem. At least for some of us.
  • norman_cates
    edited March 2020
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    What did you eat when you were gaining weight? How much and what? How fast were you gaining?

I didn't say I gained weight. I said I stayed the same.

And I wish I could show you in my diary. But MFP have lost that data. It's on my phone, but they are incompetent to get it off and sync it back into their system.

But also, why does it matter? There are people in this thread insisting that it's ONLY calories in, calories out that matters. So it makes no difference if I eat those calories in ice cream and skittles or meats and vegetables for weight changes.

I'm SURE it makes a difference for the kinds of weight I gain. Fat or muscle.
  • norman_cates
    Options
    If you are TOO CLOSE TO GOAL to lose 1KG per week safely, you will be set to the default lowest calorie setting - 1200 for women and 1500 for men.

How can I be too close to the goal? I'm 10kg (or more) away

Believe it or not, that's a TINY amount of weight to need to lose. Many of us would consider those Vanity Pounds.

Stop trying to lose a kg per week. So near goal, you should be losing no more than 1/2 percent of your current weight per week. If you weigh 75kg, that means you should be expecting to lose no more than 375 Grams per week.

How is 10kg tiny? It's over 10% of my body weight. Currently 90kg.

Sorry but I can see the unsightly spare tire. The flabby belly. Of course, my body loses fat off the extremities first so my belly is the one to gain fat first, or lose it last. Surgery maybe? Who knows.

• aecolley
    aecolley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just ignore MFP's recommendations and projections. Go with what works for you. And switch off that setting that tries to refund exercise calories to your daily target - it's as inaccurate as eyeballing the calories in a peanut butter sandwich.
  • norman_cates
    Options
    aecolley wrote: »
    Just ignore MFP's recommendations and projections. Go with what works for you. And switch off that setting that tries to refund exercise calories to your daily target - it's as inaccurate as eyeballing the calories in a peanut butter sandwich.

Yeah, that is a Premium setting though. Everyone else can't. So long as it let you get the numbers separately at some level ti should be fine. I try not to let it "fool" me into thinking I can eat more...
  • Hooliekom
    Hooliekom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hooliekom wrote: »

It is science - the way to lose excess fat is to consume fewer calories than you expend. There IS a broad agreement on this - however, how one goes about doing it is where people offer different methods. Anyone claiming to provide advice on fitness whilst disagreeing with the fundamental principle should probably be avoided.

Also, it's not just fat, you can lose muscle mass as well. Which is my fear. Because then metabolism drops even further.

Calories in, calories out is only about weight as we know. It does not have to be fat, it could be ANY part that can be metabolised.

Same with a calorie excess for gaining muscle. Making that aim at muscles, and not turn into fat is the problem. At least for some of us.

You can't 'aim' at muscle rather than fat if eating in a surplus (bulking) when trying to increase muscle mass - which is achieved by resistance training whilst you are eating over your maintenance calories in order to fuel muscle growth. You will inevitably gain both. Then you have to cut (eat in a deficit and lose the fat again) to reveal the muscle you have gained. Whilst still doing resistance training...

• joejohnson200
    joejohnson200 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    But if you're trying to eat in a calorie deficit, you don't want calories to support your activity.

'Eating Back' exercise calories can easily hold people back from losing weight.

https://9-to-5-nutrition.com/calorie-deficit-not-losing-weight/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Your link doesn't support that claim. Instead, it recommends using TDEE, which includes estimated exercise cals. That's an okay method if someone has pretty consistent exercise on a weekly basis and doesn't have an issue eating the same cals daily (it might not be ideal for people with really high cardio days). If someone tends to have more inconsistent exercise, it is probably safer to use the MFP method.

Also, this thread is from months ago.