As A Uni Student, Would You...?

Options
say your settings are lightly active or sedentary?

Because you do quite a bit of walking on campus...that's generally the only exercise I do for now though...would I remain as sedentary or lightly active? Because I don;t count my calories burned through walking, so I typically eat 1500 per day and I'm sometimes still kinda hungry. If I put it at lightly active, will I be eating too much to be able to lose weight?

Replies

• lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping mine at sedentary and I class some of my walking as exerise, but I leave some out just in case (for example, if I walk an hour, I'll class 35minutes of it)
    I just think it'll keep me in the middle somewhere!
  • cameralinds
    Options
    It would depend on how spread out your campus is. Mine isn't that much walking (maybe 20 blocks from class to class in a day), therefore, I would have it set on Sedentary. That just means that extra walking will help boost in weight loss.

For me, though, since walking is my ONLY form of transportation, and I have a job where I work minimally 8 hours per week, sometimes twenty, I am set on lightly active. It would really just depend on where you want to gauge your progress. Check the jump in calorie consumption from sedentary to light, example, 500 calories between the two, it is unlikely you are burning 500 calories walking from class to class. You could either choose to leave it at sedentary and log your walking, or leave it at light and not log any of that. It would really just depend on your personal goals.

Edit: PS. What poster above said also works.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Lightly Active. Each campus is different but mine is hills, hills, HILLS! And, sometimes I have a 15 min walk just to one class!
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Options
    I don't know about the settings for a Uni student (depends *how* much walking you're doing I guess), but I do have a tip about not feeling hungry.

I've found (through Weight Watchers and my own experience) that I can eat the same number of calories and be a lot fuller for longer depending on what I eat. Low GI food and low fat protein helps, as well as regular small (healthy) snacks. For example, I find porridge (oatmeal) is very filling for breakfast. And wholemeal bread and pasta and brown rice are better than white. Low fat protein includes things like fish, chicken and turkey with no skin, low fat dairy like cottage cheese and yoghurt... Thick soups are excellent for keeping you fuller for longer.

Right, now to take my own advice! :)
  • melnkk19
    Options
    Do you have about 6-8 hours of class/study time five days a week? If so, I would put sedentary because that would be comparable to having a desk job or being a bank teller. If you are up and about more than that, I would bump it up to lightly active.

To help curb the hunger pick foods low in calories but high in volume, which is almost all vegetables. And remember to drink water regularly throughout the day. Whenever I get hungry, I drink a glass of water first to see if I'm just misreading my body's signals.
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I don't do alot of walking at uni. I spend most of my time in the library and my classes are pretty close together but I have a 15 - 20 min walk to campus each day with hills so I've set my activity to lighlty active
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    i'm a college student and i have kept mine at sedentary. you spend more time sitting in class than you do walking around campus.