Going from photo 1 to 2 in 2021, possible?

How to go from 1 to 2 this year?
40, 6'1" 186 lbs

r82lxahr2emc.jpg

5m1olezoceas.png

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Photo 2 the model also had an extreme cut for a few days prior to the photo to help them look skinnier. He’s also likely dehydrated (often done for these types of photos so that there is no water retention to mask the muscles). That in addition to lighting and makeup. One of my brothers is a professional photographer and we’ve discussed some of the “tricks” to get photos like that.

It isn’t realistic to think you will look like that photo. That said, you can absolutely cut body fat and build muscle throughout the year. Just don’t beat yourself up for not looking like photo 2. 😊
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,537 Member
    Op. You look pretty lean and strong in the first pic, so firstly... Be proud of where you are now and what you have accomplished.

If you want the second, what every one above has said is spot on. You'll need to cut a bit more, and build a bit more muscle. For abs that pop a bit more like those, you may want to add in some targeted abdominal and oblique exercises. The end result may be different based on how your body is built, but that's out of your control.

But honestly.. You can probably dim the lights, get and overhead light source and do a pretty good job recreating that pic without much additional work.

Remember that he is a trick of good lighting, Photoshop, makeup and dehydration.

Congrats on your progress to date and good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Agreeing you look great in photo 1 but if you want to be closer to photo 2, do as discussed above.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Nothing venture, nothing gain. Good luck. You've got a great starting point.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    MDC2957 wrote: »
    Aside from cutting calories to reduce fat, what is a good routine to follow with dumbbells only?

There are some recommended in here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    Sorry I didn't mean to imply identical to the guy in the photo, just the type, not bulky muscular but lean, with muscular definition. If I lean out, I'm afraid I'll look like a stick man.

Y'know, I bet the closer you get, the better idea you'll have of what the end result will be. If you're losing fat and you're approaching "stick man" (which I doubt), stop losing fat & either recomp, or do a bit of a bulk then lose some more fat later. All of these decisions can be reconsidered at any time. You've made some great progress, you'll make more, and it'll work out really well in the long run, I'd betcha.

Having a timeline for it is optional, might be motivating, but might also set up for feeling disappointed after making great improvements but maybe not quite getting to that arbitrary goal line. Up to you, obviously.

Best wishes!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Sorry I didn't mean to imply identical to the guy in the photo, just the type, not bulky muscular but lean, with muscular definition. If I lean out, I'm afraid I'll look like a stick man.

You have a decent muscle base so getting leaner will emphasise the definition and give the illusion of more muscle.
    "To look like you have gained 10lbs of muscle lose 10lbs of fat."

But that of course only works with your shirt off.
    There's the problem that with clothes off we tend to see shape but with clothes on we see size. Put a shirt on that fitness model and he probably just looks like a slim and fit bloke.

If you cut sensibly you really shouldn't lose any significant amounts of muscle if you are training well.

Whether several cycles of cutting/bulking are needed or you like how you look when you lean out you won't know until you try. You are lean enough that a small loss of fat will show but unless you have been very lean before you won't know which body parts hang on to fat the longest. Your midsection looks leaner than your arms currently, other people get lean limbs before their ab definition starts to show.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited January 2021
    Sorry... this is lost on me. Photo 1 looks like a fit young man to me. If you want to improve on that.. I guess I sort of kind of get it...we all want to improve. I think some members on the fitness thread who re-comp and lift could be more critical of your more than okay body. They could relate to your goals.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited January 2021
    I bet you could be there in 60-90 days if you wanted to be fairly strict. You do look awesome, and I’m the same way in that I want to keep pushing my goals, nothing wrong with that. @sijomial had some really great feedback.