My problem in exercising

Options
I'm 85 years old . I have Guillian-Barre' Syndrome the past 6 years .I wear braces on both ankles . I use a walker with braces on and a wheel chair when braces are off . I need to lose weight and so I'm walking with the walker and riding a stationary bike for my exercise . I have had so many rehabs over the years I'm sick of them . I also have existing problems that keep me from a lot of exercises . I know I have to work out because I don't want to let a lot of people down who have backed me all these years . So Lord , give me the motivation to get back into it .

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I’ve had a couple of friends die from GB syndrome, so I’m glad you’re still kicking!!!

Do you have any plans on your diet? Exercise is great, but weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Walking and stationary bike are both great choices! Any movement is a plus, even walking to the loo. Adding little tasks to your day will help a lot.

As for letting other people down: Not even sure what that means. Just be yourself and do your best.

Happy new year!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen or at the end of your fork. So, track your food and ensure you are at a caloric deficit to lose weight.
    Exercise adds to your calorie burn and builds muscle. Do you have access to resistance bands? If not, consider ordering some online. You can do leg extensions and a variety of arm and back strength building exercises in your wheelchair.

You can do anything!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    If you have access to video calling, I offer you my services to help you train pro bono.

Long time, muchly respected member here. Not a “creeper”, as my kids would say.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I mean this with much love and care. Remember the Bible does say exercise profit little. It is time to take care of what God has given you, but remember what the most important thing is LORD JESUS and going to glory and being with him. Enjoy your life 💙
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    weight loss happens in the kitchen. dont forget that. exercise is good for your overall HEALTH. Many people lose weight successfully without ever 'working out'.

movement, in whatever capacity you can do it, is AWESOME! its ALL good for you and your health! no one is going to expect you to run a marathon :)
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You are awesome to work on your health. I am only 62 but I have mobility issues. I have found the HASfit chair exercises for seniors and people with mobility issues to be very helpful. I don’t know that it will help me lose weight (I’m working on calorie intake for that.). But I do find that it helps me feel better and works both lower and upper body. Free on YouTube.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    If you have access to video calling, I offer you my services to help you train pro bono.

The offer of a lifetime. Don't pass this one up. Good luck! :heart:
  • scott_90345
    scott_90345 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the fear of losing fitness is greater than the actual loss, and it becomes a good reason for putting effort continuously in the workout. If you've health related issues which act as a hurdle between you and your fitness goal, then I'd suggest to take a clear strategy or plan to overcome that. I feel there is no any thing which can demotivate you if you're serious about your goal. So I'd recommend to chase all your fitness goal with a specific plan and strategize the way to deal with those health related hurdles.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Yes OP--take this member up on his offer. You won't regret it.