Why is it so seductive?

Options
I lost 40 pounds with MFP and have maintained it for a few years now. I found MFP super simple, in/out/ live your day. Love it!

But today I got an email from some company about eating to your hormone needs. “Don’t worry about counting calories. Never over-exercise again!” And there was a lpart of me that was drawn to pay the $20 and find out what the plan was! I’d love to lose 10 more pounds- maybe this is the answer!

I’ve just been reflecting on what the pull is. The reality is that I’m sure the plan would include all kinds of exclusions and complicated arrangements that would fare poorly in the context of real life. And MFP is so simple and I already know it works! So why on earth was I even seduced for a moment? Crazy stuff.

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I've been sucked into several diet plans and tempted by countless more. I think the fortune I spent on Herbalife products was probably my low point. I think these marketing people know we all have our "wouldn't it be nice if..." thoughts and if they can tap into those we are likely to be hooked. Well done for resisting.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I guess that's why advertising works. They create the need to sell you something. I'm sure there's a photo of a perfectly lit slim woman and a very poorly lit before photo, lots of bright colours, a couple of big trigger words.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    the plan is to take your money.

you know what to do if you have a few more pounds to do....
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Yeah ni worries, I know what to do and I’m doing it. I just have to wonder what psychology they are tapping in to. If an oldie like me can get enticed, then what chance does a newbie have 😏
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Perhaps not directly applicable, but reminds me of "The Social Dilemma" documentary. One chilling takeaway explained the rampant propagation of conspiracy. Media platforms are designed to maximize engagement (not unlike diet advertising) because that's how they profit (from ad revenue). People engage in what they WANT to be true, not the truth (not unlike easy diet gimmicks). Consequently, misinformation spreads/sells 6x faster than the truth on platforms where it has been measured. The truly depressing part is no one has ideas for what will make the truth more profitable. Hence no change on the horizon.