Rowing Machine Recommendations

So after running for a while I've noticed my knees aching quite a bit. Decided to give rowing a try until the machine I borrowed crapped out (after only 6 sessions). Looking for any recommendations on reasonably priced rowing machines. I'd rather not spend a grand before I know this is something I'll be doing a while. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    If you're sure you like it, and you can afford it, spend the money. Your borrowed machine crapped out after 6 sessions. Was it reasonably priced to start? 😉

Like sgt up there, I have a Concept 2. I've had it since - IIRC - 2004. It has literally millions of meters on it. The only maintenance is wiping the rail before/after workouts, a little chain oil on the chain once in a while, and - literally once in that 16 or so years - new batteries, because it came with industrial ones installed, and the flywheel runs the monitor (instead of the batteries) once you get going. It's a workhorse, rock solid. If there were a problem, C2's customer service is top notch. (I haven't needed repair service, but I've gotten quick, friendly, complete help from them on advice they aren't even going to make money on. They're great.)

Waterrower seems to have a good reputation, they're a little smaller footprint, and they look more like furniture. There's not as big a competitive field for indoor rowing on those, if that interests you. I haven't rowed Hydrow, but they look like their heads are in the right place. All of these are expensive.

Unless you get super lucky, the used market for C2 is not that great for a buyer . . . but it's excellent for a seller. They hold their value really well. One implication is that if you buy one, and later stop using it, you can sell it for a decent chunk of your initial investment, if you've taken minimally adequate care of it.

One warning: Rowing is a lot of knee bending, under load. Depending on what your knee problem is, that might be OK, or not. I have cr*p knees, but the straight-line hinging motion is fine, even under load. But I've known people who couldn't handle rowing, because of cumulatve stress on their knees.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Search the used market for a concept 2. You can find them reasonably priced and even more so if you don’t HAVE to have a model D with a PM5. I use a model B with a PM2 and am completely happy with it.

I have crap knees and like Ann, rowing doesn’t bother them. That said, I also know people who found rowing to be too much stress on their knees, so you might want to consider speaking with your doctor before investing in one (even used).

Also, C2 has a long wait list for a new one, so getting one new (if that’s your thing) wouldn’t happen quickly. 😊
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    I_Want_A_Donut Posts: 101 Member
    Yeah the concept 2 definitely appears to be the gold standard. Good to know they hold value well. I might just have to put my name on their list.

I don't have anything really wrong with my knees, just find they get really achy after running 3-4 days a week. Although that could be partly due to poor warm-up and cool down.
  • AnnPT77
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Search the used market for a concept 2. You can find them reasonably priced and even more so if you don’t HAVE to have a model D with a PM5. I use a model B with a PM2 and am completely happy with it.

I have crap knees and like Ann, rowing doesn’t bother them. That said, I also know people who found rowing to be too much stress on their knees, so you might want to consider speaking with your doctor before investing in one (even used).

Also, C2 has a long wait list for a new one, so getting one new (if that’s your thing) wouldn’t happen quickly. 😊

I'm not arguing when I say this, just offering more info: Right now, they're saying the wait list for a Model D, in black (which is their main target for rowerg production) is 6-7 weeks. (I'm waitlisted for a different machine right now).
  • Dogmom1978
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm not arguing when I say this, just offering more info: Right now, they're saying the wait list for a Model D, in black (which is their main target for rowerg production) is 6-7 weeks. (I'm waitlisted for a different machine right now).

I have found buying and selling used gym equipment that most people don’t want to wait 2 weeks nevermind 6-7. In my experience, most people consider that a long wait. We live in a society spoiled by things like amazon prime where they order it and get it the next day (or 2 days later).

I am cheap and patient, so I get almost nothing new. As for used, I spend A LOT of time checking the used market for pieces for my own gym and pieces cheap enough that I can flip them for a profit. I have sold 6 used model B’s, 2 C’s, and a D in the past 6 months. 😜
  • AnnPT77
    Yeah the concept 2 definitely appears to be the gold standard. Good to know they hold value well. I might just have to put my name on their list.

I don't have anything really wrong with my knees, just find they get really achy after running 3-4 days a week. Although that could be partly due to poor warm-up and cool down.

Just as information: It truly is a waiting list, not a preorder or backorder. When you put yourself on the list (no credit card info required), they email an acknowledgement. Thereafter, you get an email update once a week. When your name reaches the top of the list, you are notified and can order. You can change your mind at any time, and leave the waiting list. So, if you want to start checking the used market, but think you would/might be willing to buy a new one if you can't find good/used, one option is to go on the waiting list now, cancel out of it if you find one on the used market at a good price before your order availability comes up on the waiting list. Your call, of course.
  • Dogmom1978
    Good advice above. And yes, it absolutely is NOT you committing to purchasing new to get on the wait list. 😊
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 87 Member
    edited January 2021
    The C2 is the ‘gold standard’ for rowing machines, for those who are serious about rowing (that is, on dry land). NO question. If you’re able to spend that kind of money, and/or you’re certain you’ll stick at it, then sure, hold out for a C2. However...

I wanted a rowing machine to improve/keep up my fitness for skiing (which is what I prefer to spend my big bucks on). I’d used the C2 at a gym and loved it, but couldn’t justify buying a new one, and couldn’t find a used one in my price range. A friend lent me a ‘fixed handle’ type of rowing machine, but it didn’t suit me - maybe my arms/legs were too short! In the end, I bought a new JLL R200, and I’m very happy with it. It is more than adequate for the job, and I’m not wracked with guilt if it does gather dust during/after the ski season for a bit.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    AmunahSki wrote: »
    The C2 is the ‘gold standard’ for rowing machines, for those who are serious about rowing (that is, on dry land). NO question. If you’re able to spend that kind of money, and/or you’re certain you’ll stick at it, then sure, hold out for a C2. However...

I wanted a rowing machine to improve/keep up my fitness for skiing (which is what I prefer to spend my big bucks on). I’d used the C2 at a gym and loved it, but couldn’t justify buying a new one, and couldn’t find a used one in my price range. A friend lent me a ‘fixed handle’ type of rowing machine, but it didn’t suit me - maybe my arms/legs were too short! In the end, I bought a new JLL R200, and I’m very happy with it. It is more than adequate for the job, and I’m not wracked with guilt if it does gather dust during/after the ski season for a bit.

Thanks I'll check it out
  • Dogmom1978
    I JUST missed a newer model D listed for $200 less than an hour from me on Facebook marketplace. I messaged the seller 4 min after it was posted and I was second in line. 😔

As I said, sweet deals on used ones are available, they just take much patience to get.

OP best of luck with whatever rower you ultimately decide to get. 😊
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    I JUST missed a newer model D listed for $200 less than an hour from me on Facebook marketplace. I messaged the seller 4 min after it was posted and I was second in line. 😔

As I said, sweet deals on used ones are available, they just take much patience to get.

Wow I would love to find that deal. Closest I saw was a used one for $1000 over 2 hours away. Guess I'll keep checking.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    I Dec we decided to get a rowing machine. Watterower offers a rental program that I am currently using. There may still be a short wait but I think it was only about 3 weeks until mine arrived. It is a 3 month minimum and you have the option to purchase your unit. Since the rower lives in my family room, the waterrower was an attractive option and the rental program is letting me try it out before I commit to a 1K investment. So far so good.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2021

Wow I would love to find that deal. Closest I saw was a used one for $1000 over 2 hours away. Guess I'll keep checking.

I did see one this morning for $500. Older model with older PM (computer) on it, around an hour away from me. It looked in good shape. If someone didn't mind the older PM (you can upgrade to the new one for around $200), then it would have been a decent buy.

I've never seen them cheaper than $500 around me but likely because I live in AZ. Just not as many people selling stuff as out on the East Coast where the population is a lot denser. More opportunities for deals.

Put out an email alert through FB Marketplace and Craigslist.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    We'll I put my name on the wait list for concept 2, hoping it's less the 6 weeks or that I can find a used one before then.
  • AnnPT77
    We'll I put my name on the wait list for concept 2, hoping it's less the 6 weeks or that I can find a used one before then.

Good idea. They'll email you a weekly update (mine for the BikeErg usually arrives on Wednesdays, FWIW). I think the BikeErg has moved out a week from initial estimate: They had a supply chain problem with some part, so that doesn't necessarily generalize to the RowErg. The weekly update included that explanation.

This is a company I've dealt with not only for machines/add-ons, but also in their role as owners of Craftsbury Outdoor Center, and administrators of some virtual races. I've never found them to be anything but open, above-board, and service oriented.
  • I_Want_A_Donut
    Yeah, a little more than I wanted to spend, but hard to argue with all the recommendations. Hoping the wait list moves fast, getting tired of the treadmill.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    edited January 2021
    I went with the Water Rower as I read it was better on the knees. I will say after a month of usage, I have not felt knee pain after a rowing workout. So far so good.

I also chose the Water Rower for a quieter experience. It has not disappointed there either. The sound is a pretty mild water swoosh.

Mine was delivered from an authorized retailer within 10 days, so availability was also very good!

I would buy again, and I would recommend to a friend! I also reached out to both Concept2 and Water Rower just to see how they handle communications. (I work in the fitness industry, so I like seeing how other companies do it.) Water Rower was awesome. Concept2 never replied. Happy with my decision!
  • AnnPT77
    tbilly20 wrote: »
    I went with the Water Rower as I read it was better on the knees. I will say after a month of usage, I have not felt knee pain after a rowing workout. So far so good.

I also chose the Water Rower for a quieter experience. It has not disappointed their either. The sound is a pretty mild water swoosh.

Mine was delivered from an authorized retailer within 10 days, so availability was also very good!

I would buy again, and I would recommend to a friend! I also reached out to both Concept2 and Water Rower just to see how they they handle communications. (I work in the fitness industry, so I like seeing how other companies do it.) Water Rower was awesome. Concept2 never replied. Happy with my decision!

That seems bizarre, as I've found C2 truly excellent over a period of years. I think they did go into full shutdown for awhile, though, pandemic related. (Remote internet access in that part of Vermont is . . . hmm . . . uneven? . . . based on visits.)

I do think WR is quieter than C2, also smaller footprint (than the C2 D/E anyway), and more furniture-looking. I'm not so sure about the knee difference (I have bad knees, do tend to notice stresses). The C2 dynamic has maybe a little softer hit than the D/E, and probably I'd get that nowadays if I were buying new, probably . . . but I've heard
    rumors they don't like to sell it to people who aren't on-water rowers (and I kind of understand why).

For me as an on-water rower, it's important that C2 is the gold standard in that community, with the important competitions and comparisons C2 focused. (It's also pretty standard in Crossfit comps IMU.) I've also heard reports (anecdotal) of leaking over time from the WR, but that really wouldn't be part of my thinking, for myself. The ease of transport of the C2 is also nice, at times - again, probably not a huge deal if buying first time. I've been told the C2 and WR pace numbers are not comparable, with the WR being a little more optimistic, but I've only rowed WR a few times, and didn't note the pace/effort ratio. It was in sort of commercial situations, with a challenge component, i.e., can person A go faster than person B, so I was more focused on bringin' it than noticing comparative performance to my usual machine. 😆

I dunno what the Hydrow delivery times are, nor have I rowed one. Their marketing materials seem kind of sane, and there's at least one person somewhere here on MFP who likes theirs (can't remember who, though).
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    Could be pandemic related. I placed myself on their waiting list while deciding between the Water Rower and C2. The confirmation email they sent was pompous, in my opinion. So I wrote them a quick email to see if they would respond. This was 6 weeks ago, and I have not heard anything back. After a week of silence, I contacted WR and exchanged emails within a day. I ordered my Water Rower that afternoon. Perhaps my standards were too high. Like I said, this is my job and passion.