Anxiety just posting a message

Hello, so this is the area of my life I have never found control over. I don’t like to admit to anyone and especially myself how little control I have over food. I just like the comfort of eating. I know where it comes from ( childhood), I know I have to work in this area, so for today just posting a message is a start. 48 years old. 40 pounds over weight. Would be happy to lose 20 pounds.

Replies

• deeleelei
    deeleelei Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you for your comments and for taking a minute to send a message. As an overachiever the anxiety likely comes from this not being an area that I have achieved ( or have control over). Definitely feeling lost so your kindness is appreciated and I will do exactly as you suggested, thank you!
  • SGP53015
    SGP53015 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2021
    @deeleelei, you are not alone on this journey. So many of us are here to "walk" with you, sharing the struggle. So much great advice given already. I especially needed to read the post from @rosebarnalice -
    Sometimes my self-talk sounds something like: Hey, there, me . . . Why are we looking in the pantry? We've already eaten xxxx calories today, so I know you're not feeling hungry so what ARE we feeling if it's not hunger? Let's just close the fridge door and walk away . . . and just FEEL whatever it is, ok?"

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    You can’t see me, but I’m shaking my head violently. No no no no. Don’t be anxious posting here! If I could reach through your screen to give you a warm hug, I would.

You are in a true community of people sharing the same issues, goals, trials, triumphs.

We may have all taken our own different path to get here, but we have to take essentially the same one to get out.

We all have the same questions, wonderment, and sometimes complete puzzlement over what’s happening to our bodies, or indeed, even how to make it happen.

Where else can you come to ask questions like,”Why am I so cold?”, share frustration over belly rolls, and discover the most effective way to weigh foods (before or after cooking, cups or grams?)

In the “outside” world, people don’t care, don’t know, or may unfortunately look down their noses. Inside the warm MFP community, we are all beavering away at it and trying to help one another towards the common goal.

Oh please, don’t be anxious posting. Omg. If I had a dollar for every worryingly stupid post I’ve posted that got legit good answers......Well, let’s make that a calorie instead.

Hugs to you in this journey. “Weight Loss Journey” can sound trivial and trite, but it is a journey, from A to Z, with lots of unexpected detours in the middle.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    You can’t see me, but I’m shaking my head violently. No no no no. Don’t be anxious posting here! If I could reach through your screen to give you a warm hug, I would.

You are in a true community of people sharing the same issues, goals, trials, triumphs.

We may have all taken our own different path to get here, but we have to take essentially the same one to get out.

We all have the same questions, wonderment, and sometimes complete puzzlement over what’s happening to our bodies, or indeed, even how to make it happen.

Where else can you come to ask questions like,”Why am I so cold?”, share frustration over belly rolls, and discover the most effective way to weigh foods (before or after cooking, cups or grams?)

In the “outside” world, people don’t care, don’t know, or may unfortunately look down their noses. Inside the warm MFP community, we are all beavering away at it and trying to help one another towards the common goal.

Oh please, don’t be anxious posting. Omg. If I had a dollar for every worryingly stupid post I’ve posted that got legit good answers......Well, let’s make that a calorie instead.

Hugs to you in this journey. “Weight Loss Journey” can sound trivial and trite, but it is a journey, from A to Z, with lots of unexpected detours in the middle.

You are such an amazing support. ❤️
  • deeleelei
    deeleelei Posts: 4 Member
    In my life I’ve never had such genuine support without criticism. I’m taken back. This is truly inspiring to be received so kindly. And with great advise! Off to a great 2021 start, using all advise provided. Thanks!
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 522 Member
    You might feel less anxious just sharing posts with a small group of friends than here on the forums. I had 25-30lbs to lose 6 years ago and was getting nowhere on my own, but here, I got them off in just a few months. I've stuck around because maintaining needs constant effort, and I backslide from time to time, but I've never gained back all the weight I initially lost. I'd never have done it without my friends. I would like to lose 10 now, but the last lbs go slowly. Your goal is very doable!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Welcome!

I think so many of us here can understand how scary it can be to demonstrate our vulnerability and admit we want to make some changes. You're taking a big step!

There are many people here who are rooting for you and understand what it's like to be just starting out.

I began using this app in 2015 and have been maintaining a 40+ pound weight loss since the end of that year. One thing that helped me was that I never had to have a perfect day -- I just needed to be at my calorie goal more often than not. There's so much flexibility with calorie counting. Some people eliminate certain foods they struggle with, others have it within their calorie goals. Some people completely change the way they eat, some people just eat less of the stuff they were eating before. Some of us exercise a lot, some of us a bit, some not at all! Some people eat once a day, some people eat just three meals, others are eating almost all the time. There's no one right way to do it and there is lots of room to experiment to see what works best for YOU.