What do you do when you feel down?

Options
You're feeling depressed. Healthy, good for you foods do nothing for your appetite. You don't want to touch them and would almost rather not eat a meal even though you're hungry. Chips, and not very good for you foods sound highly appealing, and you're not sure if you'll be able to stop after a little bit of them. You're lacking motivation with your weight loss and not sure you can be confident with controlling yourself around food.

.... What do you do to keep from sabotaging your weight loss goals?

Replies

• onevision
    Options
    I write down the things I have an urge for and then make sure I have them on my cheat day. Thats usually enough for the urge to go away.

Psychological hunger / craving is the toughest one to crack in my book.
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Even though I shoulda been doing this earlier this week... I remind myself how I'm gonna feel even WORSE after I eat all that. Especially physically... all my favorite junk foods give me heartburn and uhhh... tummy problems... now! LOL
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I think the reason that healthy good foods are not tempting you is because you are probably addicted to some other less healthy foods. Once I gave up the unhealthy stuff, my taste buds changed. It only took about 4 days of eating clean to really gain a new appreciation for whole plant-based foods. Now I am so happy with the changes in my life, I couldn't imagine going back.

Watch the movie "Forks Over Knives" for an educational and inspirational experience. It is available on Netflix now.

If you are not up for that, then maybe just take a nice warm bubble bath.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Especially on days where you might be feeling emotional, follow this acrostic, H.A.L.T. Ask yourself, am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired? If you answer anything but hungry, don't eat anything :)
  • Juneaux12
    Juneaux12 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd probably just eat the chips. Then I'd beat myself up for days about it.

Instead of doing what I would do, I would do what a sane person would do - Put down the chips. Grab a glass or two of ice cold water and chug it. Go for a walk/run/bike ride. Inhale some natural air from the outdoors. Then drink another glass of water. Then go to bed for the night.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Especially on days where you might be feeling emotional, follow this acrostic, H.A.L.T. Ask yourself, am I hungry, angry, lonely or tired? If you answer anything but hungry, don't eat anything :)

:heart: :heart: :heart: H.A.L.T.:heart::heart: :heart:

that's amazing. thank you!:flowerforyou:
  • lanie25
    Options
    EXERCISE!!! If you feel hungry after a good hard workout, then munch on something. Chances are you will not want to 'blow off' the calories you just worked your butt off for!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Various foods trigger various pleasure sensors in the brain.

Because I'm a nerd, I'd probably look at what I wanted to eat and why and see if I could find some alternative that would trigger those same neurons and try to engage in "replacement therapy".

Many times, depression is a self-sustaining cycle. We tend to engage in behaviors that keep us depressed when we're hitting a downward spiral. The reasons that we do this vary for each individual, but I've found that it essentially has to do with comfort zones: a familiar misery is alot easier for us to emotionally manage than an unfamiliar positive because we already know the outcomes of something familiar and there's a sense of security in that.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I try to recognize why I'm wanting those things. If I want carby stuff, it's usually because I want a quick energy fix, which is common when I'm depressed because feeling down makes me feel tired. So I drink a big glass of water, eat some protein for better energy, drink some tea or coffee if it's early enough in the day, and get up and move. And if all else fails, I do indulge a little bit, because I'm a human being and I don't think it's feasible for me to give up on those foods for the rest of my life. But I indulge mindfully, measuring out one serving or less of whatever it is I'm craving, and leave it at that.
  • meowow
    meowow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been there and have given in to the foods that I WANT/don't really need/won't help me succeed. What I do is close my eyes and sort of meditate. I try to understand my body. I ask myself, am I really hungry? Do I really want to feel the guilt I'll feel after eating those foods? Do I really want to fail, and have to start over again? NO. Cardio workouts also help me out when I feel this way. Try going for a run or jump some rope.
  • Bluejay789
    Options
    I totally understand what you are talking about but when I am having one of those days..... this is what I do.

I look up success stories on MFP read my friends feed where they have logged their exercise.

Then I got speed walk for 30-45 minutes. Exercise/walking releases serotonin in the body and helps with those feelings.

By the time I get back inside and log my exercise calories, those feelings are gone.

But I have to tell you... yesterday I was a little down when I headed out for my walk/jog. I walk and jog in our subdivision which backs up to two different schools. I went around both schools heading back to my house and there is a hill/slight incline. I saw a man in a wheel chair over on the side and pushing himself up the hill with difficulty going real slow. I had previously been thinking if I can get these 40 pounds off, I will not have such a difficult time walking/jogging this route. Out of no where I felt horrible for being so selfish that I was worried about loosing weight and then there is a man in wheel chair that would give anything to walk but he is pushing with all his might to make it up the hill. I actually stopped and had a mini cry right out in the middle of a school zone with traffic going by and everything. He made it up the hill and was already on his way home by the time I made it up the hill. (have no idea why I am telling this)

Anyway, maybe you need exercise and cry. Food is not the answer.

You can do this!
  • kklemencic
    Options
    This is a tough one and you need to find what works for you. The more I eat good foods to fuel my body with the more I want to eat those versus the bad yet very tasty food. It takes time for your body to adjust and the wanting and cravings for unhealthy will subside. Today one of our parents brought in 3 boxes of krispy kreme donuts and I peeked in the box but grabbed my glass and headed for the ice machine and while there actually said outloud to myself....."yes I would like one of those donuts but do I truly WANT one, you have been doing so well you just lost 2 pounds and do you want that dark chocolate treat after lunch? Yes I do....so no donut then!" Now someone actually caught me in my converstion and it turned out funny and I didn't eat the donut! Once you stick with it and start to drop pounds and inches it helps to keep you on track, but if you stray just get right back to it with your next meal.
    I also remind myself of how much exercising it takes to work off the calories in whatever tempting treat may be calling my name. When I do that comparison I want to give my body the good stuff it needs to keep my body powering through my workouts. I remind myself how I am stronger, healthier and thinner than I used to be and that is a good thing and I like it. That's important because I do this for me so if I cheat I am only cheating myself out of the best physically healthy person I want to be.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I play World of Warcraft.

No, really.

I just go mentally zone out till I can stop thinking about everything.
  • MsALMill
    MsALMill Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You're feeling depressed. Healthy, good for you foods do nothing for your appetite. You don't want to touch them and would almost rather not eat a meal even though you're hungry. Chips, and not very good for you foods sound highly appealing, and you're not sure if you'll be able to stop after a little bit of them. You're lacking motivation with your weight loss and not sure you can be confident with controlling yourself around food.

.... What do you do to keep from sabotaging your weight loss goals?

If you make sure you save the right amount of calories there are some companies that have started making light chips (Pringles and Ruffles) where a serving of 15 chips is between 70 and 80 calories. This will ease a craving and still not kill your diet,
  • AshjMusik
    AshjMusik Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great thoughts on here, thx so much for sharing everyone!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I eat unless I'm in a spot where I can convince myself to replace it with exercise
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    My best runs are usually when I'm sad or angry.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    The stranger...
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think the reason that healthy good foods are not tempting you is because you are probably addicted to some other less healthy foods. Once I gave up the unhealthy stuff, my taste buds changed. It only took about 4 days of eating clean to really gain a new appreciation for whole plant-based foods. Now I am so happy with the changes in my life, I couldn't imagine going back.

Watch the movie "Forks Over Knives" for an educational and inspirational experience. It is available on Netflix now.

If you are not up for that, then maybe just take a nice warm bubble bath.

I am definitely going to watch that! thankyou.
    It does make sense though, if you get used to something, you're going to want that rather than stuff you never have. Like retraining your taste buds.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options

This is really good. I have heard it before, now I just need to remember and live it.