What a jerk!

Options
I'm feeling very down today... I work at retail store, where a customer was returning a pack of underwear for his wife. The underwear was aparrently way to big. And how did he tell me? "My wife usually wears a Large. She is very large... Like you. But for some reason, this underwear is way too big." Not only did he tell me that, he said it about 4 or 5 times. That I was large like she was. [Sigh]. I shouldn't be upset over something a person who I'll probably never see again says. But still... It was a punch to the gut. Especially since whenever I tell people my weight, they look really surprised, saying I don't look heavy at all. I guess that has changed. =[.

Have any of you had any comments like that from strangers? How did you get past it? Because I keep going back and thinking about it. =[

Replies

• CindyWarner
    Options
    I'd tell him that he should wear the underwear because it looks like it would fit him!!!!!!!!:laugh:
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling very down today... I work at retail store, where a customer was returning a pack of underwear for his wife. The underwear was aparrently way to big. And how did he tell me? "My wife usually wears a Large. She is very large... Like you. But for some reason, this underwear is way too big." Not only did he tell me that, he said it about 4 or 5 times. That I was large like she was. [Sigh]. I shouldn't be upset over something a person who I'll probably never see again says. But still... It was a punch to the gut. Especially since whenever I tell people my weight, they look really surprised, saying I don't look heavy at all. I guess that has changed. =[.

Have any of you had any comments like that from strangers? How did you get past it? Because I keep going back and thinking about it. =[

I once had a customer make a comment along the lines of "I probably get out in the sun less than you do". I would have been offended if I didn't already fully embrace my complete lack of anything resembling a tan (which is a nice way of saying that I'm pasty white). As it was, I thought it was funny. Your guy, though, I probably would've gotten pissed, and then come here to vent.
  • SpeedBump1
    SpeedBump1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I probably would have replied with I just helped a guy who purchased VERY small boxers. Then I would have looked below his waist and said yes VERY small like yours I meant you.
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    I'd tell him that he should wear the underwear because it looks like it would fit him!!!!!!!!:laugh:

Yeah! How about "well, they might fit you because they are clearly made for a big *kitten*"
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    lmao at all your replys. I guess we all agree he was both rude and studid.I know how you felt though,and try not to let it get to you.My favorite is listening to one of my smaller sisters rant about some hugely obese someone they saw,and they always say , " I mean, she was twice as big as you!" As if that would really make her a whale! lol
    well theres no end to rude,so dont let it get you down.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    My favorite is listening to one of my smaller sisters rant about some hugely obese someone they saw,and they always say , " I mean, she was twice as big as you!" As if that would really make her a whale!

Oh, man, people do that to me all the time. I'm like "uh, right here, guys". Those always try to backpedal with either "oh, well, you're the exception" or "they were way bigger than you". Because that makea me feel WAY better. :/
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger, I would say…, “Thanks for noticing my size. It’s makes me feel real good about myself.” (& give a fake smile)
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you had to deal with such a thoughtless cretin. Perhaps you could have expressed sympathy, as in, "Oh, your poor wife! She has TWO huge *kitten*!!"

Cheers to you, the bigger person, in all the right ways!:smile:
  • un4gvn2
    Options
    I am sorry you had to encounter such a Jerk !
    But just think .... " He clearly is the Biggest *kitten* of All !! "
    His poor wife !
  • Jelleebean
    Options
    my hubby and i used to work at the same store... had a customer ask me a question, so, i went to find out what it was he was looking for... had to go in the back.. he said to my hubby, 'did you see a fat girl walk by here? she was looking for something'... i happened to be on the other side of the door when he said it... i just looked at him and said, 'that was uncalled for'.. and my hubby said, 'that's my wife you're talking about'... and tossed dude out of the store for being an ignorant pri(k :)
  • undermajorconstruction
    Options
    Uuugh what a dumbass! I'm sorry! But ppl can be so lackadaisical! You can change your weight but he can't change ugly!
  • adamsonam
    Options
    I always get the pregnant stuff. "When is the baby due?" "Oh I see your pregnant..." Even as a teenager (and still "pure" so to speak). That is def killer.
  • Biglovelovesme
    Biglovelovesme Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    One time I had a woman at a dry cleaner ask for my license because I was writing a ck for my stuff. When I showed it to her she commented by saying. "wow, you use to be really pretty when you didn't have so much weight on you"
    This happened years ago and I have NEVER forgotten it.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I WOULD HAVE DONE SAME!!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My biggest hurts were from the little old ladies at church (who are supposed to love me!!) who would remark about "Oh, you've gained weight" or "Wow, you've put a lot of weight on"

Oh, wait..it's coming back to me now...the doctor that came into the examing room and said, "Oh, I see you're the big one in the family."

Or the friend (another older lady) who said, "When I saw you I said You're going to have to be hospitalized if you keep gaining." (Okay, that might eventually be true but that was a lot of pounds ago and I"m still not in the hospital!!!) Who would say something like that?

I'm going to bed now...I just depressed myself....
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I too have had people make assinine comments. I think even if a comment is true (like I have gained wt but I don't know one telling me) they think okay. Last week my nail tech showed me with her hands how wide I have gotten. She felt it was perfectly okay becasue I did gain weight. PEOPLE words do hurt people so if it is not going to encourage or uplift then clamp it down!!!!!!!!!!
    You are beautiful and doing something about your health and that is what counts.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    My favorite for me was when my hubby and were trying to buy a car.

The car sales man said to me "Is this your first child?"

I said, " No, I'm just FAT!"

#1 This guy lost the sale.
    #2 I was driving at the time and decided to stop the car abruptly. Scared him good!
    #3 I've never had been pregnant.

This was the first time someone asked me this question. At the time I thought he was over reacting about my size. But I've been asked this a few times since. Mostly by people who don't know me.
  • New_Atti2ude
    New_Atti2ude Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can sympathize with you on this one serious I can't stand men who are like that (I shouldn't just say men) but some are very uncouth with the things they say and the way they behave with a "fuller" woman especially the ones who will turn around and bed a "fuller" girl.
    One day I was walking downtown minding my business and this guy trying to bring in more clientele to his gym singles me out to "join his gym". I stopped dead in my tracks, I didn't say a word for a really long time and then I proceeded in chewing his *kitten* out. I let him have it and walked away.
  • Cruz2Fit
    Cruz2Fit Posts: 159 Member
    Options

AS YOU CAN SEE... THERE ARE ALL KINDS OF PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD AND SOME OF THEM WE JUST STAY AWAY FROM! AS YOU CAN ALSO SEE, THERE ARE KIND PEOPLE TOO, LIKE ALL YOUR MFP FRIENDS. NOW..., YOU CHOOSE WHOSE OPINION MATTERS!!!!
  • ktbug82
    ktbug82 Posts: 166
    Options
    I used to work in retail. Back when I wasn't even overweight some old lady returned a shirt and said "oh it didn't fit my daughter- but it could probably fit you since you seem to be expecting! when are you due?" I even asked her "what did you just say?!" she repeated herself in the most annoying manner ever. It was at this point that I figured it was worth getting written up for so I responded "well actually ma'm I'm not expecting and I don't think you should make those dumbass remarks to girls that are half your size... unless.. wait... are you expecting?!" Needless to say she shut right up and left.