Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Burning 1000+ calories a day

Okay, so I don't do it every day, but most days I burn anywhere from 1000-1400 calories- I do this in just two hours actually- because I play squash (which is super intense) and classes like spin etc. My question is this- there is so much talk about "eating exercise calories" yada yada. I get it - I understand the concept and do not disagree with it at all- however- when I burn that many calories, eating back my calories means I would have to eat like 2400 calories a day.

My question is this: if you burn a large amount of calories per day, do you tend to be low on the "net" for the day, or do you force yourself to eat all of those calories?

I don't want a debate or anyting caustic- I am seriously asking...

Replies

• bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    I tend to do this once or twice a week, and I find I'm incredibly hungry those days so I wind up eating around 1800 calories for that day, but no way would I be able to eat back all my exercise calories on those days!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Lets just say I wish I could burn that many and If I managed to do so I hope I can live to tell it. Good for you!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
    someone will post a dumb link soon...

but for me, I do the same. today was over 1,500. i'm not going to eat myself into a bloated mess just because SOME people think i should.

if your body wants you to eat ALL your exercise calories back, by all means, do it. mine does not.
  • That's awesome that you're burning so many calories!! Wonder how many calories I burn typing :smile:
    I'd say that if you WANT to eat some of your burned calories, then go for it, but otherwise, don't. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting those burned calories just be "gone". As long as the weight is coming off, that's what matters!!! But, if you do want to splurge on something, you know you've built up a "savings account" of calories you can use! Good luck!
  • Personally I just try to eat at least 1200 calories so that I don't take the risk of putting my body into starvation mode. Some days I eat some of them back other days I don't. I'm still losing weight so that's the important part. Really depends on what your body needs, I say if your hungry then eat. But that's how I look at it for my body everyone's different. Good Luck!
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Personally, I don't think you should feel compelled to eat *all* of the calories back, but if you're netting less than 1,200 for the day, try to get there.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Thanks everyone- I totally agree. I'm not going to force food just to hit a number- I just wondered what others do when it comes to these high burns. I also agree in following my body- if it's hungry- I feed it. When it's full, I stop. I make healthy choices- and I never feel bad if I splurge on ice cream or a special treat! That's what all that work is for.

Thanks for the advice.
  • CandyR1018
    CandyR1018 Posts: 101 Member
    I've noticed as long as you are eating over your BMR or 1200 calories, MFP doesn't yell at you with bold red letters. I'm not burning anywhere near what you are, but sometimes, I eat them and sometimes I don't.