Is Zwift really that much better than just watching TV while you train?

2»

Replies

• jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Did another 5 hours with a great group of people. I did the B group, but C and D took people 100 “miles” all are casual riders.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    jlklem wrote: »
    Zwift is awesome, but you got to race or group ride. I have done 30000 miles in that world and I’m a solid A rider.

Riding Zwift to ride is not so great. I did 5 straight hours on Zwift today in a group ride. Great banter, good people, and staying in the group requires skill and attention. It was not that hard mentally.

But like everything perception and attitude is everything

when you say great banter, are you talking to them via text or via voice? How do you use voice while running Zwift? Is that through something called discord?
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Been using Zwift for over a month now and I do enjoy it. Yes, it is confusing to fully enjoy and understand all the features but I enjoy racing against other people, improving my FTP over time. I got a Tacx smart trainer and it automatically changes the resistance for me. I find it way more interesting than using the dial on a spin bike.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    I went to Fitness Depot yesterday to get a smart bike. (Pelteton was interesting but the mandatory subscription left me cold.)

I thought it would be fun to be able to bike some scenic routes.

To my own surprise, I bought a recumbent. I have constant issues with low back and yoga butt, and the comfort difference was amazing. I figured that with the other stuff I do, it would behoove me to be kind to myself in at least one form of exercise, and I really want it for rainy days I can’t run or walk, when I have ants in my pants, or when I need some calories to close my rings (my goal is 3x daily, and I’m often *this* close to 4x
    and it makes me nuts to leave it on the table).

I guess I can find some scenic rides on you tube? If anyone knows of an app that would be appropriate, plmk. I’m not much of a TV show watcher.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I went to Fitness Depot yesterday to get a smart bike. (Pelteton was interesting but the mandatory subscription left me cold.)

To my own surprise, I bought a recumbent. I have constant issues with low back and yoga butt, and the comfort difference was amazing. I figured that with the other stuff I do, it would behoove me to be kind to myself in at least one form of exercise, and I really want it for rainy days I can’t run or walk, when I have ants in my pants, or when I need some calories to close my rings (my goal is 3x daily, and I’m often *this* close to 4x

I guess I can find some scenic rides on you tube? If anyone knows of an app that would be appropriate, plmk. I’m not much of a TV show watcher.

Peloton’s app has scenic rides. It’s free for 2 months right now as long as you sign up by the end of the month, after that it’s $12.99. I like their scenic rides, but I don’t like the music that goes with it. So I mute it and listen to my music. I purchased a different spin bike and I just use the app for classes and use Zwift to get my cadence info since they shout out cadence regularly during classes. Spent $1000 less this way. I didn’t need a screen bc my bike was always going to be in front of a tv. The Peloton bike is not a must have IMO but the app is amazing. You can tell that they do invest a good chunk of change in everything they offer which is nice. My first charge for the app will be at the end of Feb, and I can definitely say, I’ll pay the fee with no complaints. But it serves my purpose, you may have a different experience but you might as well give it a try while it’s free.
  • springlering62
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Peloton’s app has scenic rides. It’s free for 2 months right now as long as you sign up by the end of the month, after that it’s $12.99. I like their scenic rides, but I don’t like the music that goes with it. So I mute it and listen to my music. I purchased a different spin bike and I just use the app for classes and use Zwift to get my cadence info since they shout out cadence regularly during classes. Spent $1000 less this way. I didn’t need a screen bc my bike was always going to be in front of a tv. The Peloton bike is not a must have IMO but the app is amazing. You can tell that they do invest a good chunk of change in everything they offer which is nice. My first charge for the app will be at the end of Feb, and I can definitely say, I’ll pay the fee with no complaints. But it serves my purpose, you may have a different experience but you might as well give it a try while it’s free.

Thanks for the tips! I found some simple YouTube video routes online that I’m going to try. It’s being delivered tomorrow. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

They had a lot of equipment in stock, which surprised me. I’m going to go back and get a Bosu ball this morning because I like using the one at the gym, and I’m going to check out those funky adjustable barbells they had.

BTW, my local Fitness Depot was several hundred dollars less than anything I saw online, was super helpful, and had a terrific selection of trainers, smart bikes, exercise and recumbents, so I got to try everything. I would have bought from them anyway, because they are so supportive of my gym, but the great price was a pleasant surprise. If you’re looking, be sure to check them (or your local guys) out. Sometimes online distributors aren’t the go-to we’ve gotten in the habit of.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    NormInv wrote: »
    jlklem wrote: »
    Zwift is awesome, but you got to race or group ride. I have done 30000 miles in that world and I’m a solid A rider.

Riding Zwift to ride is not so great. I did 5 straight hours on Zwift today in a group ride. Great banter, good people, and staying in the group requires skill and attention. It was not that hard mentally.

But like everything perception and attitude is everything

when you say great banter, are you talking to them via text or via voice? How do you use voice while running Zwift? Is that through something called discord?

The banter is usually typing but I have used discord and a few other apps. The key is joining a cool “team”. I am in the BMTR group. Super chill people of all levels. They have huge rides of all levels (A-D) and are really supportive. If you show up enough you become apart of the group. I am now friends with many in the group and we all follow each other on Strava.

I just did stage one of the tour of Zwift. I choose to race...got 32nd...but 1600 started. The 11am event have 6000 start! Lots of chatting and support.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Zwift does nothing for me. I'm a TrainerRoad girl 100% - when I can't be outside on my MTB of course! My husband about once a year does a month or two of Zwift to mix it up. I like being able to watch a show, usually something with some action to it, that I only watch while on the trainer than that way sometimes it's the desire to see the next episode that motivates me to hop on. Currently my show is GLOW on Netflix.

Always looking for new ideas for trainer shows, and GLOW is almost done. Suggestions??
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    sheclimber wrote: »
    Always looking for new ideas for trainer shows, and GLOW is almost done. Suggestions??

I always choose something with a little action. Last year I was watching "The Americans" on Amazon. I really didn't get very far as I only watched it while I was on the bike. This year, I'm watching "Barry" on HBO Max.

I just cancelled Zwift. I track my rides on Garmin and do my sprints on a timer. Pretty basic, but it works for me!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Just got my new smart trainer and Zwift. I had already tried it a few times at my buddies house, so I was pretty sure I would like it. I love it. I think if you don't have a smart trainer, you don't get the full experience...or anything close to it...basically, you're just spinning and looking at a screen. With the smart trainer, Zwift is controlling your resistance up and down hills, etc.

I also like the structured training programs as they are functional in improving some aspect or another of my cycling abilities vs just slogging away miles. I'm doing the "back to fitness" program right now and then will do the Fondo program to get ready for mine in May (hopefully). Did a little group ride with my buddy and a few of his other Zwift friends over the weekend, and that was pretty fun too.

I get a lot more out of it, particularly workout/training wise than I did using my dumb trainer and watching TV, where I always felt like I was just spinning to spin and get some exercise vs having some kind of training goal.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    sheclimber wrote: »

I always choose something with a little action. Last year I was watching "The Americans" on Amazon. I really didn't get very far as I only watched it while I was on the bike. This year, I'm watching "Barry" on HBO Max.

I just cancelled Zwift. I track my rides on Garmin and do my sprints on a timer. Pretty basic, but it works for me!

Thanks for the suggestions! Added both to my Watch List!
  • springlering62
    I did my first real workout with my new recumbent this morning, using a random bike video off of YouTube. I was surprised. It was really helpful. Although my pace and program were obviously different than his, I did try to peddle harder and faster when he was going uphill and the cadence in his music was very helpful.

It was just a bike ride through a small German town, countryside, and then an industrial area but it was very absorbing and distracting enough that the thirty minutes flew by.

Will def be checking out other basic videos.

Amazing what you can do with a go-pro, btw. Very clear footage.