Breastfeeding mum trying to lose baby weight

Options
Hi,

Baby number 2 has destroyed my body and left me 20kgs heavier, lucky I love him!
Number 1s weight disappeared doing nothing! So unchartered territory.

Anybody had success on here whilst breastfeeding? (really don't want to lose milk!)

Thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    There's a very useful thread for Breastfeeding mums: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum

@4legsRbetterthan2 may be able to give you a bit more info, I don't have any body-destroyers currently so can't pass on any experience I'm afraid.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the little one!! I had 6 kids... breastfed all of them. I didn't start losing the weight until I weaned them. Especially with my last one, I was ravenous, baby was ravenous, all I could do was maintain my weight and sanity. Thankfully they grow up quickly and I always say enjoy the time.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks @tinkerbellang83

I do highly recommend reading the second half of the post she linked.

As you stated, keeping your supply is important and finding a good balance between weight loss and supply can be difficult. Start out logging at maintenance + breastfeeding calories. If all is well drop your calories by a little at a time and monitor your supply. Some women have success losing weight while breastfeeding, unfortunately others end up losing supply before losing weight. It seems like making small changes helps your body adjust and get the results you want. If you notice a big drop in supply go back to maintenance + breastfeeding calories right away. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, sometimes we inadvertently drink less when we eat less, but dehydration will also greatly impact your supply.

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask, lots of mommies around here :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrats! I lost weight each of 3x while I breastfed, but I took it really slow and steady (and only after my milk was established) I would eat at maintenance and let breastfeeding create the deficit. See how that goes. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and fueling yourself.