I gained 30lbs this year...not sure how to get back on track?

So I was doing fine up until May 2020 and I got a case of mono. Body fatigued, tired, sick, etc... Also my career is pretty much lightly to moderately active and have been working home ever since March so that doesn't help. On top of that, I have fluid up buildup in my knee since July. So I have constant knee pain. Also had wrist pain for awhile until I got a steroid injection. To top it all off, multiple herniated discs in my neck as of last month. I'm insanely frustrated. I feel like I'm so bored and the other thing I have to look to is food. I don't eat that much but I have consumed so much sugar especially since I'm always at home. Does anyone have advice? I feel like there's nothing to do and the ways I usually stayed in shape and on top of things aren't really an option right now. I know the only option is eating better but I'm having such a difficult time with it. I've gained 30 lbs since May and it seems like the weight has plateaued but I'm not okay with gaining so much weight so quickly. I don't know how it happened so fast.

Replies

• Bpipho
    Bpipho Posts: 3 Member
    Are you logging everything you consume and sticking to a max number? It helps me....when I reach my goal for the day, I'm done!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    So I was doing fine up until May 2020 and I got a case of mono. Body fatigued, tired, sick, etc... Also my career is pretty much lightly to moderately active and have been working home ever since March so that doesn't help. On top of that, I have fluid up buildup in my knee since July. So I have constant knee pain. Also had wrist pain for awhile until I got a steroid injection. To top it all off, multiple herniated discs in my neck as of last month. I'm insanely frustrated. I feel like I'm so bored and the other thing I have to look to is food. I don't eat that much but I have consumed so much sugar especially since I'm always at home. Does anyone have advice? I feel like there's nothing to do and the ways I usually stayed in shape and on top of things aren't really an option right now. I know the only option is eating better but I'm having such a difficult time with it. I've gained 30 lbs since May and it seems like the weight has plateaued but I'm not okay with gaining so much weight so quickly. I don't know how it happened so fast.

I hear you! I struggle with knee and elbow issues, and other medical conditions. I'm constantly working to find exercise that won't hurt me. Can you get a referral to a physical therapist to help you with this?

There are some foods I just cannot have in the house, so perhaps consider this for your trigger foods. It may also help to keep them where you cannot see them, or portioning them out, etc.

I also find it helpful to have positive goals, such as 1. More fiber and 2. More lean protein. This is easier for my brain to accept. I find this filling, so am satisfied on less calories and less likely to overindulge on empty calories.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    When my life feels like it's out of control, I look for the things I can control. What you eat is actually something you have total control over. You choose the groceries you buy and what foods you put in your mouth. Look at this as a time to experiment with cooking healthy meals that make you feel good. Empty the cupboards of foods that don't satisfy you or trigger cravings. Talk to a PT about what movements you can do that won't aggravate your pain. Not moving at all is probably the worst thing you can do. Maybe just putting on some music that makes you happy and moving to it as best you can.

FWIW - several years ago I developed a pelvic stress fracture while training for my first half. I was really unhappy not being able to walk or run. Instead of looking at food to make me happy, I started logging everything I ate and decided to use the time to get control of my weight. I dropped down to high school weight. When I was finally able to start running again, I loosened up the diet a bit and put back a few pounds, but quickly decided that I liked being thin and I actually like having control over that one aspect of my life, since there are so many other parts to my life I have no control over.
  • One day at a time.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    I'm in a similar boat of sorts. Because of the lockdown, my activity level is basically "inactive." My workout routine was heavily pool dependent to keep it non-impact. As I tried to keep up my activity level with other things, I ran into injuries (a bad fall, arthritic knee, plantar fasciitis, strained back, blah, blah). On top of that, my kitchen was remodeled and has made cooking and baking, which I already love, SO MUCH FUN. And so easy. So increase of calories, decrease activity has led to 20 pounds that I had worked to hard to lose six years ago.

Here's what I know: I'm going to log my food every day. It helps so much to see the numbers, and when I pre-log, I often change my mind about eating something when I see what it's doing to my remaining calories (this is usually snacks or an alcoholic drink at the end of the day that's been logged earlier). It's really freeing to aim for that number, eating things I enjoy (but less), enjoying some treats (snacks, a beer, candy), and then being done. I realized that not being to work out as much as I used to is really good practice for me to get control of my calories. I used to wonder how people who couldn't or didn't burn much lost weight. I counted on those exercise calories. Now, I'm learning what my body needs and how important it is to me to have really good food (and by that, I mean calorie dense and TASTY!)

Hang in there. Just log your food for now. Someone here (AnnPT?) said it's like a science experiment and I totally agree. It's almost like a game. And I don't have to get on the scale for about 3 months because I don't want to. I just need to do the work and trust the process. You can do this. :smile:
  • meggs9605
    meggs9605 Posts: 55 Member
    I feel your pain. I gained closer to 40 lbs this year and while the reasons make sense (lock down, gym closure/loss of activity, having to home school my child/lack of childcare and "me" time to workout, etc.), at the end of the day, they're all excuses (VALID excuses, but still excuses).

For me (and I know many disagree with this) when this happens, I need a structured "detox" program to help jump-start my transition back to better choices. I KNOW "DETOX" AND "CLEANSE" ARE HYPE WORDS. Its more of a mental cleanse/detox that I embrace. But even if programs like Arbonne 30 day healthy living(yes its an MLM; no i don't sell it) or 10 day green smoothie program use hype words, are super restrictive, and aren't sustainable for the long-term, following a program takes the stress and guesswork out of what choices to make initially. All I have to do is be mentally strong enough to stick to it for the short term (usually 2-4 weeks). After my body has been reminded of better habits (more veggies and lean protein, no alcohol or soda) and I can see a difference on the scale, my motivation is so much better to make ongoing healthier food choices and continue my progress.

Again, this may not be embraced by most people, but I have always struggled with moderation and little changes. I have an all or nothing personality, so this works for me.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    meggs9605 wrote: »
    I feel your pain. I gained closer to 40 lbs this year and while the reasons make sense (lock down, gym closure/loss of activity, having to home school my child/lack of childcare and "me" time to workout, etc.), at the end of the day, they're all excuses (VALID excuses, but still excuses).

For me (and I know many disagree with this) when this happens, I need a structured "detox" program to help jump-start my transition back to better choices. I KNOW "DETOX" AND "CLEANSE" ARE HYPE WORDS. Its more of a mental cleanse/detox that I embrace. But even if programs like Arbonne 30 day healthy living(yes its an MLM; no i don't sell it) or 10 day green smoothie program use hype words, are super restrictive, and aren't sustainable for the long-term, following a program takes the stress and guesswork out of what choices to make initially. All I have to do is be mentally strong enough to stick to it for the short term (usually 2-4 weeks). After my body has been reminded of better habits (more veggies and lean protein, no alcohol or soda) and I can see a difference on the scale, my motivation is so much better to make ongoing healthier food choices and continue my progress.

Again, this may not be embraced by most people, but I have always struggled with moderation and little changes. I have an all or nothing personality, so this works for me.

I get it. You’re just trying to break a habit and get into a new groove. It’s all good!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Make a written solid plan and then follow it consistently. You just HAVE to not procrastinate to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

There is so much helpful information in all the posts on MFP. Zero in on something that speaks to you, log your numbers(that works for me the best) and take each day as it comes. Don't look back and don't look ahead.
    I finally weighed myself last Monday and felt bad when I realized I'm 30lbs over what I was a year ago as well. So I entered all my information Monday morning and went from there. We're not perfect, but we're good and we're able. Lean on others for advice and support and you will succeed. Remember, our weight and physical appearance is only a part of who we are in this world. Don't let it be everything you are.

I hope your herniated discs and pain improve quickly and life looks up for you soon. Until then, since you can't exercise like you'd like to, why not make it a quest to try new healthier different foods/recipes? Until you can become more active, work on the food part of the equation.
    Good luck!!!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Eat less & exercise more.
  • misslizzierod
    misslizzierod Posts: 57 Member
    edited January 2021
    -calorie deficit
    -meal prep and track your calories
    -set small goals
    -make sure you are eating enough to avoid binging and sabotaging your weight loss success
    -focus on overall health rather than the number on the scale.
    -exercise
    -be consistent (it’s okay to indulge sometimes but continue to stay on track)
    -and again, set small goals. One day, one week at a time.

Best of luck