"I would never want to be that skinny"

Options
2»

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Every time I see this thread it triggers me.

I've been on both sides - my nickname as a teen was "heavy duty." Being tormented for being overweight by peers and adults was complete hell for me. Ultimately, the emotional trauma set the ball rolling for me to lose the weight.

I began starving myself, eating 400 calories a day. It felt good to be in control, but I didn't realize how bad things were until my hair started falling out.

Four months in I found myself lying on the bathroom floor. Long story short - I was hospitalized for Anorexia.

When people would comment "how skinny I was," it was such a compliment to me. Little did they know I was killing myself to be "accepted and loved." It was more motivation to continue. Besides, isn't it "better" to be called skinny? That was a teenagers mindset....I've since grown.

Moral of the story - people need to STFU! My size does not define me, and it's none of your *kitten* business...it's mine.

Thank you for sharing this. I was never big as a kid, but kids at school decided to call me fat, ugly, stupid, sasquatch. I became suicidal and had a really hard time pressing through.

I was sure that if everyone thought I was fat, I MUST BE FAT, and it changed how I saw myself. It still impacts me to this day, it's a mental battle. It's why I really wish people should just stfu.

*hugs* and thank you for sharing this. I think it's a story that needs to be read.

Careless words spoken can cause far more damage than the ones left unsaid.

I've been on both sides - my nickname as a teen was "heavy duty." Being tormented for being overweight by peers and adults was complete hell for me. Ultimately, the emotional trauma set the ball rolling for me to lose the weight.

I began starving myself, eating 400 calories a day. It felt good to be in control, but I didn't realize how bad things were until my hair started falling out.

Four months in I found myself lying on the bathroom floor. Long story short - I was hospitalized for Anorexia.

When people would comment "how skinny I was," it was such a compliment to me. Little did they know I was killing myself to be "accepted and loved." It was more motivation to continue. Besides, isn't it "better" to be called skinny? That was a teenagers mindset....I've since grown.

Moral of the story - people need to STFU! My size does not define me, and it's none of your *kitten* business...it's mine.

Thank you for sharing some of your story ❤️

I love the person that I am, and that defines me now.

That is the ultimate *kitten* win!

• CacoEther
    CacoEther Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options

Thank you for sharing this. I was never big as a kid, but kids at school decided to call me fat, ugly, stupid, sasquatch. I became suicidal and had a really hard time pressing through.

I was sure that if everyone thought I was fat, I MUST BE FAT, and it changed how I saw myself. It still impacts me to this day, it's a mental battle. It's why I really wish people should just stfu.

*hugs* and thank you for sharing this. I think it's a story that needs to be read.

Careless words spoken can cause far more damage than the ones left unsaid.

You just never know what people have been through, do you. You two are the bomb.org in my eyes
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

@Kashmir_314_

Dang, Girl

I like you a little more each and every day, I damn sure do. <3<3<3
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else heard this comment after/during their weightloss journey? I've started noticing people say this to me a lot more and I don't even consider myself thin lol. A part of me wonders where does this comment come from. I usually just mention I lost weight for health reasons and that I am content with where I am visually and health-wise. How do you guys react to this?

Well yes, coming from a male perspective. I only do cardio (sometimes to excess), don't eat meat, I'm like 180cm and 62kg..I don't lift. Not exactly the image of masculinity. I do self-depricate as coping mechanism and I never had any desire to get "big" but I can always school them by saying I take care of the most important muscle and it actually is in the recipe for longevity to be thinner.