Let's motivate each other - 100lbs to lose

Options
Hey everyone,
I am a long time MFP user. I managed to lose around 25 lbs a couple of years ago with the app, but then I stopped using it regularly and gained it all back and then some. I struggle with depression and not going to lie my weight and the way I look has been a big factor.
I finally feel at a mental place where I can focus on my health. This time around I'm focusing on how my body and mind feel and not on what the scale has to say.
My ultimate goal would be to lose 100lbs, but I'm not putting a time limit as I did before and usually failed. I'm aware I didn't put on that weight overnight so it will take me awhile to lose it.
For January I would like to lose 5lbs. If I managed more, great! If I don't reach my goal - it's not the end of the world.

So I'm looking for friends to help me on my journey. Let's motivate each other and keep each other accountable!
We can do this!!!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! 5lbs for January sounds like a very sustainable and achievable goal and then just repeat :smile:

There is a very good group for those of us who are aiming to lose quite a bit:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

You might also be interested in the 1lb per week group:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129605-lose-1-pound-a-week-and-keep-it-off-2021

Both groups are quite active year round, so it can be a little better for accountability as I do find a lot of people who add me this time of year are gone within weeks sadly.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome back! I'm excited for you that you feel mentally ready to get yourself into better health. You may find that doing some exercise helps with your depression. I know that it does for me (I still take meds, but the exercise is a boost).

Best of luck to you!
  • Blshumway2010
    Blshumway2010 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I too am restarting after having lost some and regained after failing to keep up. My mental health has played a factor.

I think aiming for 5 lb in January is a great way to go about it and it sounds like you are in a wonderful mindset for it right now.

Best of luck
  • determined_M_91
    determined_M_91 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! 5lbs for January sounds like a very sustainable and achievable goal and then just repeat :smile:

There is a very good group for those of us who are aiming to lose quite a bit:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

You might also be interested in the 1lb per week group:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129605-lose-1-pound-a-week-and-keep-it-off-2021

Both groups are quite active year round, so it can be a little better for accountability as I do find a lot of people who add me this time of year are gone within weeks sadly.

Thank you, I'll definitely check them out! One of my fears is that I won't be able to keep up the motivation going for a long time, normally after week 3 is usually non existent, that's why I am trying to stay super active on MFP, so joining groups, challenges, etc. is definitely a great way to stay motivated
  • determined_M_91
    Options
    cgrout78 wrote: »
    Hello and welcome back! I'm excited for you that you feel mentally ready to get yourself into better health. You may find that doing some exercise helps with your depression. I know that it does for me (I still take meds, but the exercise is a boost).

Best of luck to you!

Thank you! I really try with the exercise, but way too often I have days when I don't want to even get out of bed or shower, which makes me feel even as a bigger failure. Learning not to beat myself up about it and being kind to myself has definitely helped
  • determined_M_91
    Options
    I too am restarting after having lost some and regained after failing to keep up. My mental health has played a factor.

I think aiming for 5 lb in January is a great way to go about it and it sounds like you are in a wonderful mindset for it right now.

Best of luck

Thank you so much, best of luck to you too! We got this!