Any vegans on here?

2»

Replies

• rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Aureilie wrote: »
    rhauser44 wrote: »
    I've been vegan for almost 4 years, vegetarian for around 15 years before that.
    Aureillie, I moving more towards plant-based nutrition, and I’m curious how you meet your protein macros. I don’t necessarily want to load up on cheese or nuts, but beans alone aren’t doing it either. How do you manage protein.

I'm personally a huge fan of mock meats, particularly the Gardein chicken strips, to add to dishes when I'm low on protein. They're low calorie and super versatile. PsuLemon had great suggestions. Things like swapping out white rice for quinoa make small differences over the course of the day that add up. I like to use sprouted style breads with seeds for instance, the one I use has the same amount of protein for two slices of bread that the mock meats I put in the sandwich contain. There are also protein powders (I've heard Sunwarrior is the best tasting) and low calorie protein bars like Simply Protein that can help fill in gaps on days that you're not able to hit your goal.

@Aureilie,thanks for these suggestions! I’ll check these out at our local organic market tomorrow.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    rhauser44 wrote: »
    I've been vegan for almost 4 years, vegetarian for around 15 years before that.
    Aureillie, I moving more towards plant-based nutrition, and I’m curious how you meet your protein macros. I don’t necessarily want to load up on cheese or nuts, but beans alone aren’t doing it either. How do you manage protein.

Sietan, tofu, lentils, chia seeds, edamame, or tempeh. Of if you are in need, you can get vegan whey.

Do you mean vegan protein powder, like from rice, soy, hemp, or peas? Or is vegan whey a new product that I'm not aware of (not being snarky, that's genuinely possible)?

Its a mixture of soy, hemp and pea iirc. It might also have added EAAs.

Neat - I'll keep my eyes open for it. :)

Kaged Muscle just came out with a plant based formula. I am a huge fan of their products and most taste really good. It runs a pea protein isolate, so it might be worth looking into.