Steps total include running steps

Options
Hi, just started the app today πŸ‘

Quick question regarding devices. My fitness watch is connected to the app. My total steps today were included and relevant calories calculated. However many of those steps were taken when I went for a run - but the run was logged in addition to the steps, and the calories for that activity were deducted as well. So, in effect, my running steps were counted twice... Is that right or am I missing something? πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Thanks πŸ‘

Replies

• skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you've set yourself up. Are you loging your exercise in addition to your Fitbit syncing? Then yes, you're doubling up on the exercise. If not, then no. Fitbit works out what energy you've used according to your heart rate, steps aren't really valuable to the equation.
  • plimps2021
    plimps2021 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ah ok, I'm using a Samsung watch, but I'm guessing that it works the same. It synced both steps and run. Thanks for the reply ☺️
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    No problem @plimps2021, and welcome to the forums :)
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    My recommendation, FWIW, is to not log your steps taken throughout the day. But do log particular activities- like if you run, or go for a mile long walk. I think step tracking is helpful in assessing whether your day to day regular lifestyle is sedentary or not, but I don't personally find it helpful in terms of cal in/cal out.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    My recommendation, FWIW, is to not log your steps taken throughout the day. But do log particular activities- like if you run, or go for a mile long walk. I think step tracking is helpful in assessing whether your day to day regular lifestyle is sedentary or not, but I don't personally find it helpful in terms of cal in/cal out.

I agree. You burn less calories from walking than running.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I use Garmin watch and it plays pretty well with MFP. Data sync is bi-directional, so Garmin gets updated on my calorie intake and current weight (when entered). MFP gets a read back of calories expended. Garmin splits it into a workouts where you've put the watch specifically into workout mode and incidental, which is labeled as "steps," but actually accounts for everything else. If I do a 45 minute run, it adds to the steps total (reported to MFP), and sometimes adds significant additional calories. On running days, your HR remains a bit elevated for some time after, which tells your watch you are burning calories (which you are), which adds calories in the "steps." Is it correct? Who knows! But, I do seem to lose weight by following the advice, when I need to.

Best of luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hi, just started the app today πŸ‘

Quick question regarding devices. My fitness watch is connected to the app. My total steps today were included and relevant calories calculated. However many of those steps were taken when I went for a run - but the run was logged in addition to the steps, and the calories for that activity were deducted as well. So, in effect, my running steps were counted twice... Is that right or am I missing something? πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Thanks πŸ‘

I think you'll find that when MFP is asked to only track steps from a device, compared to syncing to an actual activity tracker account - it does remove the calories in the adjustment that would have been there as soon as you log the workout. Test that next time.

Since it has no idea how many of the steps were part of the workout - most complain it removes too many calories, because they were actually more active daily even besides the exercise.

So when looking at the Adjustment in the Exercise Diary - tap and hold on it and you'll be given more info.

2nd line is what MFP estimated you'd burn already with no exercise and your selected activity level. If there is a workout it knows about, it is added to that base burn, and shown there.

1st line is either what an activity tracker account synced across with time stamp, or likely in your case, some convoluted number that doesn't seem to be based on anything along with steps.

The other daily steps are actually useful - because your guess from 4 activity levels could have been very wrong.