Counting veggies

Happy New Year
Does anyone have any good systems using MFP for tracking amount of veggies eaten each day, preferably in weight but servings would work too

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    I just spitball it by counting 80g as a serving, and weighing my veggies. My mental math is good enough to run down the diary page & do a close-enough rough count in my head, if I think I'm short or wonder. If you want longitudinal tracking, obviously that won't work.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    +1 suggestion to weigh your veggies. If you're cooking them, weigh them raw and factor in any seasoning, oil, sauce, whatever that you use as well.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I just spitball it by counting 80g as a serving, and weighing my veggies. My mental math is good enough to run down the diary page & do a close-enough rough count in my head, if I think I'm short or wonder. If you want longitudinal tracking, obviously that won't work.

This is what I do.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Occasionally as part of my monthly goals when I've been less disciplined with fruit & veg intake I track them in my food notes in portions.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    I make it a game to count vegetables in my head because I’m aiming for variety rather than volume. I use the NHS definitions for 5-a-day (but I neither eat dried fruit nor drink juice/smoothies).

My target is 3-per-meal and usually end up with 10-14 servings of different veg per day just through active reflection.

I also make it a game with my nieces (and sometimes even my mother) to count the different types of veg in our meal.

If you want to track more for variety like me I’d suggest something like the app HabitBull where you can enter a number every day.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I keep track mostly through the fiber macros. I typically consume 40-45 grams of fiber a day, and most of that is veg since I don't eat a lot of bread or grains (with the exception of oatmeal:-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I would enter the weights from MFP into a spreadsheet.
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    edited January 2021
    Use a good food scale, and the nutritional info on the USDA website. Don't just automatically trust the MFP entries.... so many of them are wrong. Find the one that matches the USDA info. And make sure you weigh everything... don't use any of the "1/2 apple" entries. There are all different sized apples!

And fiber is a good way to track your veggie intake with your macros. I get lots of fiber because I eat lots of veggies.

Good luck!