Metabolism

Options
So, I have counted for a few months, actually on maintainence, but I have lost weight. Could this be because I'm a teen? Is my metabolism THAT much faster???
I think back and I was never overweight, (just average with a wee pudge, like 130 pounds, I'm 5'5)
And I used to order two bean burritos from Taco bell, plus a baha mountain Dew AND cinnamon twists. That was a meal to me. Now I am wondering why I was never overweight. I also made microwave cakes, ate Mac and cheese, huge amounts of fettucine alfredo, etc tc. and never thought about it. I'm lighter now, but I freak out over food. I'm so afraid of gaining weight. SIGH.

OH, I am 16. Female. 120, 5'5. Obesity does NOT run in my immediate family (Cept papa, but he has parkinsons and is bed bound) And I have been vegetarian 4 years, Vegan 2 months. I am a student at a boarding school. Was a runner in the past. Now I just walk a lot, do strength stuff and fit in cardio where I can.

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Definitely teen metabolism! I was like that once. I had a butterfinger milkshake everyday, and weighed 100 lbs. Sigh.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    So, I have counted for a few months, actually on maintainence, but I have lost weight. Could this be because I'm a teen? Is my metabolism THAT much faster???
    I think back and I was never overweight, (just average with a wee pudge, like 130 pounds, I'm 5'5)
    And I used to order two bean burritos from Taco bell, plus a baha mountain Dew AND cinnamon twists. That was a meal to me. Now I am wondering why I was never overweight. I also made microwave cakes, ate Mac and cheese, huge amounts of fettucine alfredo, etc tc. and never thought about it. I'm lighter now, but I freak out over food. I'm so afraid of gaining weight. SIGH.

So your body is totally in fluctuation during your developmental years. THere is a significant energy cost associated with growing, and plus teens are typically much more active because of school sports and other active hobbies.

Which explains why you haven't gained. Once you graduate and stop doing sports, and your body is no longer growing at such an increased rate, its simple: eat more than you burn, and you WILL gain weight.

Keep in mind, some people burn more than others, which explains why you are still losing. Just because MFP "Thinks" you are gonna burn 1800 or whatever, does not mean that is your true burn. You could also be eating less than you think you are, if you aren't tracking it accurately that makes a huge difference.

If you really wanna know what you burn, invest in a bodybugg or BodyMedia fit. THat will tell you your TRUE daily burn, and you can then adjust your intake accordingly.
  • fabulousfebe
    Options
    Yes...as a teenager up to about 35 your metabolism burns at a high rate unless someone has diabetes, thyroid problems, and other autoimmune disease. So, enjoy your natural fat burning metabolism..but still eat healthy because it will catch up with you. Take Care...:glasses:
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    metabolism.. I have heard of these things but I dont think i have one... LOL

Its likely because you are a teen. I was thin(ner) as a teen and ate a LOT of crap. Most people are though. It can and probably will catch up (though it doesnt for everyone). Just remember - just because you can eat that junk and not put on weight doesnt mean your arteries arent getting cloged and your innards arent suffering!!!!
  • juggalojester72
    Options
    agreed! when I was a teen all I ate was chips and dr. pepper, I was a little over weight then but NOTHING like growing into my 20's. now I'm tryin to fight myself back down to healthy before I hit the 30 range! lol But I dont think It's all metabo. when I was a teen I was ALWAYS active. now I find my self on my fat *kitten* far to often!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I actually eat healthier and a lot less now than I did in my teens. When I was a teen, I was 110lbs. Now, I'm over 160lbs.

Granted, part of that has to do with hypothyroidism, inactivity and just plain getting old.

Enjoy this time of your life if you can.
  • SweetTayta
    SweetTayta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I fairly new to all this loss weight & exercise thing and thank I'm doing pretty good. What are great ways to boost your metabolism I've heard getting really cold water, etc need advice
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    it could be anything really..without any more info than that.
  • arispawild
    Options

So your body is totally in fluctuation during your developmental years. THere is a significant energy cost associated with growing, and plus teens are typically much more active because of school sports and other active hobbies.

Which explains why you haven't gained. Once you graduate and stop doing sports, and your body is no longer growing at such an increased rate, its simple: eat more than you burn, and you WILL gain weight.

Keep in mind, some people burn more than others, which explains why you are still losing. Just because MFP "Thinks" you are gonna burn 1800 or whatever, does not mean that is your true burn. You could also be eating less than you think you are, if you aren't tracking it accurately that makes a huge difference.

If you really wanna know what you burn, invest in a bodybugg or BodyMedia fit. THat will tell you your TRUE daily burn, and you can then adjust your intake accordingly.
    well now I am Vegan and typically hit only like 1200 cals a day. I just freak when I eat more than typical, but I wonder why now I freak out and I never used to. Heck, I wasn't fat when I didn't. I know eating healthy now will benefit me though.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Definitely teen metabolism! I was like that once. I had a butterfinger milkshake everyday, and weighed 100 lbs. Sigh.

Ah, I know. I used to have a fried blueberry pie and an ice cream sandwich every day for lunch. :huh:
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    well now I am Vegan and typically hit only like 1200 cals a day. I just freak when I eat more than typical, but I wonder why now I freak out and I never used to. Heck, I wasn't fat when I didn't. I know eating healthy now will benefit me though.

Ok... 1200 calories is maintenance for like... NO one.

That definitely explains your weight loss. Unless you are legally a dwarf/midget/little person/anklebiter, you would need to eat more for maintenance.
  • arispawild
    Options

Ok... 1200 calories is maintenance for like... NO one.

That definitely explains your weight loss. Unless you are legally a dwarf/midget/little person/anklebiter, you would need to eat more for maintenance.
    I know! I just always hit around there. I feel guilty eating more
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

I'm just a little baffled as to why you told us you were eating at maintenance level and pretended to be baffled as to why you were losing weight?
  • arispawild
    Options

I'm just a little baffled as to why you told us you were eating at maintenance level and pretended to be baffled as to why you were losing weight?
    Well I have my thing set on maintainence. I hit around 1200, but I am sure that I miscalculate things. I do not weigh food. I guess a lot.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like a jerk 'cuz I'm not trying to be, but feeling guilty for eating over 1200 calories, a fear of gaining weight, and obsessing over food are kind of classic symptoms of eating disorders. Have you ever been checked out for something like that?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Yes...as a teenager up to about 35 your metabolism burns at a high rate unless someone has diabetes, thyroid problems, and other autoimmune disease. So, enjoy your natural fat burning metabolism..but still eat healthy because it will catch up with you. Take Care...:glasses:

On the other hand there is such a thing as being naturally skinny aka ectomorph, one of the 3 body types based on the theory of somatypes. That no matter how much you eat, you still cannot put on weight. Something that I long been wishing for :frown: Living proof here are the supermodels. Not everyone has that metabolism at the same age, gender & height. Try google ectomorph or check out this link: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm
  • arispawild
    Options
    Not to sound like a jerk 'cuz I'm not trying to be, but feeling guilty for eating over 1200 calories, a fear of gaining weight, and obsessing over food are kind of classic symptoms of eating disorders. Have you ever been checked out for something like that?
    No, but it has worried me
  • meowow
    meowow Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    definitely your metabolism! That's why you hear a lot of adults saying, "It'll all catch up with you eventually.." when you were inhaling those burritos and cinnamon twists! ha, it's true. I USED to have awesome metabolism before I hit 20, I swear! Take advantage of your metabolism while you're young! Losing weight will be easier for your initially, but just as easy gaining it back unless you make the necessary lifestyle change!