Highland Games

Options
Anyone else compete in the Highland Games? All or our competitions in the NE have been cancelled this year but I just found out that I can go to a training and compete at Loon Mountain in September.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Not me personally, but my buddy I haven't seen much do to COVID19 was training for one but I think it was overseas in Ireland if I remember correctly.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Not me personally, but my buddy I haven't seen much do to COVID19 was training for one but I think it was overseas in Ireland if I remember correctly.
    I have three friends who were supposed to compete in the Masters Championships in Ireland but it was cancelled because of Covid.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    I have three friends who were supposed to compete in the Masters Championships in Ireland but it was cancelled because of Covid.

Yeah I can see that would be inevitable with over seas travel especially. I would think that there would be a select few within the states that are more liberal on COVID restrictions but I know HIGHLAND games is pretty rare in the best of times.
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    Yeah I can see that would be inevitable with over seas travel especially. I would think that there would be a select few within the states that are more liberal on COVID restrictions but I know HIGHLAND games is pretty rare in the best of times.

There are some games still scheduled in the mid-west and south for this year. It's just too far to travel. Two of the biggest games in the US, NH Highland Games and Grandfather Mountain, cancelled for the first time in their history this year.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

There are some games still scheduled in the mid-west and south for this year. It's just too far to travel. Two of the biggest games in the US, NH Highland Games and Grandfather Mountain, cancelled for the first time in their history this year.

I live in midwest and have had one of my meets postponed for a minimum 8 months and Nationals fully cancelled. They are still trying to find a way to have a meet where everybody can compete and not have to split into multi days if at all.

Good thing one way or another is there will me more meets eventually and as long as we can train and get stronger-better our skill...we can take this opportunity to experiment on training in some ways we might not otherwise do in season and possibly find some good data.

Good luck!
  • debrakgoogins
    Options
    Good thing one way or another is there will me more meets eventually and as long as we can train and get stronger-better our skill...we can take this opportunity to experiment on training in some ways we might not otherwise do in season and possibly find some good data.

Good luck!

Just checking in with you. Have you heard anything about games for this year? I have seen a few pop up but many already cancelling for the year as well. I miss my kilted peeps.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

Good luck!

Just checking in with you. Have you heard anything about games for this year? I have seen a few pop up but many already cancelling for the year as well. I miss my kilted peeps.

Other than my buddy, I haven't heard about anything. He said basically same thing for HG. Where I live everything is locked down for competitions. I think the one PL meet I signed up for in 3/20 has been postponed 4-5 times so far.

Honestly don't see much changing unless the vacine(s) shows promusing data.