Strength training

Options
I find strength training so boring! I wish I liked it but I really don't. I like cardio and going on my stationary bike. But strength training is soooo tedious! Any advice?

Replies

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way a long time ago because I could zone out on a cardio machine, but strength training requires more planning and focus (if done correctly). What about it is boring to you? Is it the planning, or that you feel like it takes longer or more effort?

For me, it was finding the right kind of program that kept me motivated and setting goals to work towards. I've been doing programs for the past few years that focus more on compound movements and total body strengthening and not a lot of isolation work (e.g., bicep curls, leg extension, etc.). So, I do about 7 (maybe 8) moves 3 days per week, and do some core work on my cardio days (maybe 10-15 minutes). I now prefer strength training to cardio because I can see more measurable results this way in terms of increasing weight, reps, etc.
  • niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I used to be that way a long time ago because I could zone out on a cardio machine, but strength training requires more planning and focus (if done correctly). What about it is boring to you? Is it the planning, or that you feel like it takes longer or more effort?

For me, it was finding the right kind of program that kept me motivated and setting goals to work towards. I've been doing programs for the past few years that focus more on compound movements and total body strengthening and not a lot of isolation work (e.g., bicep curls, leg extension, etc.). So, I do about 7 (maybe 8) moves 3 days per week, and do some core work on my cardio days (maybe 10-15 minutes). I now prefer strength training to cardio because I can see more measurable results this way in terms of increasing weight, reps, etc.

Thank you for commenting :smile:

Yeah the planning is a big part as I just have no idea where to start. I much prefer following a video as I get confused with reps and sets and all that. But there are so many on YouTube I don't know where to start.

I think the concentrating too, like I can put a movie or programme on when on the bike and get lost in it but burn a lot of calories doing so.

I also have weak wrists so any exercises like push ups and the like where I have to put my hands on the ground leaves in agony which puts me off too :(
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Thank you for commenting :smile:

Yeah the planning is a big part as I just have no idea where to start. I much prefer following a video as I get confused with reps and sets and all that. But there are so many on YouTube I don't know where to start.

I think the concentrating too, like I can put a movie or programme on when on the bike and get lost in it but burn a lot of calories doing so.

I also have weak wrists so any exercises like push ups and the like where I have to put my hands on the ground leaves in agony which puts me off too :(

There are modifications that can be made for wrist pain. For some exercises you can simply make a fist of your hand and place the knuckles/first joint on the ground. For others like pushups you can grab onto a dumbbell and rest the dumbbell on the floor, which keeps your wrist straight. YOu can google "exercise modifications for wrist pain" for more techniques. Hope that helps!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for strength training?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    I dislike doing strength training, even though I know it's important, so I go through bouts where I do it, and bouts where I don't, realistically. I'm not saying this is the *best* answer, or even a *right* answer, but I'd observe that some cardio exercises have more of a strength component than others.

Mostly, I'm a rower (boats when I can, machines when I must). It has a strength component, and if done with a technical perspective and good coaching, it's even a tiny bit progressive. Most of any muscle I have came from rowing, not lifting. I'm not any kind of bodybuilder, but I'm not totally devoid of muscle, either - for sure stronger than most non-lifting women in my demographic.

If you can't talk yourself into regular rep/set lifting, at least maybe seek out cardio with a strength component. (Rowing is not the only example.)

But lift, if you can encourage yourself to do it. That really is the most efficient and effective way to increase strength and muscle. How long have you been able to stick to a decent program? For me, it's easier to keep going when I manage to stick with it long enough to see strength improvement, because it feels great to be stronger!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I hated the high reps aspect. When I first started I was doing 3 sets of 10-15. And I found it INSANELY boring.

I much much MUCH prefer going so heavy that I can only do 5. 5 sets of 5 reps is the sweet spot for me.
  • saFit247
    saFit247 Posts: 117 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I find strength training so boring! I wish I liked it but I really don't. I like cardio and going on my stationary bike. But strength training is soooo tedious! Any advice?

Strength training depends on your body goals : If you are a power lifter it is the way of life , if your into aesthetics u add a portion of strength training regime , if you are into body building yes its necessary , if your are into sports again its important but curated to fit the type of sport , if its just general fitness you may still want to include a bit of it may be just the compound exercises. Strength is anyway required for your day to day routine as well and many times we don't use certain set of muscles which can be covered in the strength routine to keep maintain an overall wellness.

Personally my goal was to gain weight as I was super skinny , after trying out all types of workouts and diet i found strength training ( Dead lifts , Bench and Squats primarily) accelerated my weight gain process coz increasing calories only made me skinny fat rather than pu ton good lean mass and regular workouts dint help much either.