Calorie counting while cooking ethnic food?

Options
Hi everyone,
I've been part of FP for a while, mostly using it for tracking my weight- never really for food.
Well I'm now 9 months postpartum and actually weigh more now then I did when I gave birth.
Breastfeeding didn't make me lose weight, and although I'm working out regularly I'm realizing nutrition needs to come first.
I'm done breastfeeding now so I can commit fully to this, but now I need motivation bc the process seems so daunting.

Mainly... My issue is that I rarely ever eat out and love to cook. I throw things together, never measuring, and use that to meal prep.

For those of you who are first generation Americans and eat ethnic food- how does calorie counting work for you?
How on earth can I track my calories in a realistic way? I'm looking for stories, motivation.. whatever you did that worked for you.
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Mayg09 wrote: »
    Mainly... My issue is that I rarely ever eat out and love to cook. I throw things together, never measuring, and use that to meal prep.

Scales. It takes some of the joy out of cooking, especially if you're making something complicated, but there's no way around it.

I tend to plan out my recipe roughly now, to estimate the calories, then adjust it as I add ingredients so the quantities are correct. It's not as much fun, but it keeps calories down as often I'll change an ingredient or reduce its quantity to save on calories.

Batch cooking helps a little - I record the calories for the whole batch, then split things (and weigh them to make sure it's an even split).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    it doesnt matter what you are cooking.
    learn how to weigh the food on a food scale and find accurate entries in the database and use the recipe builder.

i use the recipe builder pretty much every day.

This
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    Yep. What they say. My ethnic food of fried chicken and cornbread might not be your ethnic food of sashlik or veronyky (sp!) but it all works the same.

Dang now I have a craving for katchapuri.
  • Mayg09
    Mayg09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First, I want to thank you all for you detailed responses. I read them all and have gained a consensus that I need to buy a scale.
    In all honesty that sounds like a nightmare to me, but I guess it needs to be done.

I should also clarify, the reason why wrote the bit about being a first generation American and ethnic food in particular is because the recipes that my mom gives me are literally just like "a bit of that, a bunch of this etc." And I find that others with immigrant parents can relate.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I'm first gen American, from India...It's very hard to eat Indian food without rice or roti or wheat bread... SO I AM STRUGGLING :D So as a result I am eating mostly salads but cooking the proteins with Indian seasoning but keeping them dry so that I dont need rice to eat with the gravy..sigh.. BUT I MISS my white carbs LOL
  • SunnyBunBun79
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I'm first gen American, from India...It's very hard to eat Indian food without rice or roti or wheat bread... SO I AM STRUGGLING :D So as a result I am eating mostly salads but cooking the proteins with Indian seasoning but keeping them dry so that I dont need rice to eat with the gravy..sigh.. BUT I MISS my white carbs LOL

@SunnyBunBun79
    You don't have to change what you eat to lose weight - you have to change how much you eat.
    Making a hard job harder is rarely the way to success, minimise the struggle if you can.

I knowwww :'( Problem is I'm not at that stage where I can control my rice and roti portions sizes. One cup of rice with a curry is like eating a bowl of curry soup with rice floating around :D But im training myself...to still enjoy the taste of my favorite foods and once I get the appetite controlled I will slowly add back some rice...not the whol dang rice field!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Mayg09 wrote: »
    (...) I should also clarify, the reason why wrote the bit about being a first generation American and ethnic food in particular is because the recipes that my mom gives me are literally just like "a bit of that, a bunch of this etc." And I find that others with immigrant parents can relate.
    I hear you, here's how I got around it: weigh your ingredients while using the "bit of this, bit of that" method, then remember the proportions for next time (or write them down if your memory is like mine).

I don't think it takes any joy out of cooking, on the contrary it makes it easier to consistently get the same flavour.

Also, this may be a bit controversial but I don't think you need super-accuracy for things such as vegetables, mushrooms or most seasonings. I put onions in practically everything and never weigh them, simply buy average-sized ones, remember how many I chopped up and log it as "X/portions onions, medium". Let the law of large numbers work for you :)
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options

@SunnyBunBun79
    You don't have to change what you eat to lose weight - you have to change how much you eat.
    Making a hard job harder is rarely the way to success, minimise the struggle if you can.

I knowwww :'( Problem is I'm not at that stage where I can control my rice and roti portions sizes. One cup of rice with a curry is like eating a bowl of curry soup with rice floating around :D But im training myself...to still enjoy the taste of my favorite foods and once I get the appetite controlled I will slowly add back some rice...not the whol dang rice field!

Try making cauliflower rice and mixing it with normal rice. I make curries in bulk and freeze in me-sized portions. I cook white rice in bulk and freeze in 100g portions. If I want more (or I don't have enough cals left for a portions of rice), I add (or use) cauliflower rice.

OP, I'm not American or first generation anything, but I have a number of recipes from my mum and from an uncle that add a bit of this and a bit of that. I do what's suggested above - put my spice jar on the scales, turn the scales on, take out 'a bit of this' and note how much I've taken. If your scales aren't super-sensitive, you may need to turn the scales on, then put the jar on, see what it weighs to start with and then see how much is left. My scales don't register anything until it gets to 2g.

Once you have a recipe in MFP, it's there to use next time; if the next time you make that particular recipe you think you're using pretty much the same quantity of each ingredient, you don't need to weigh everything again. Accurate measurements become more relevant as you get closer to goal weight and your deficit gets smaller but, initially, at least you'd be tracking with figures that are probably close enough.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    Options

@SunnyBunBun79

Try making cauliflower rice and mixing it with normal rice. I make curries in bulk and freeze in me-sized portions. I cook white rice in bulk and freeze in 100g portions. If I want more (or I don't have enough cals left for a portions of rice), I add (or use) cauliflower rice.

OP, I'm not American or first generation anything, but I have a number of recipes from my mum and from an uncle that add a bit of this and a bit of that. I do what's suggested above - put my spice jar on the scales, turn the scales on, take out 'a bit of this' and note how much I've taken. If your scales aren't super-sensitive, you may need to turn the scales on, then put the jar on, see what it weighs to start with and then see how much is left. My scales don't register anything until it gets to 2g.

Once you have a recipe in MFP, it's there to use next time; if the next time you make that particular recipe you think you're using pretty much the same quantity of each ingredient, you don't need to weigh everything again. Accurate measurements become more relevant as you get closer to goal weight and your deficit gets smaller but, initially, at least you'd be tracking with figures that are probably close enough.

I'll try this...although i DID manage to weigh out 4.5 oz of cooked rice today and it looked like a lot more than I imagined it would... I always picture half a cup of rice to be this tiny amount in measuring cups but when I weigh it i get a lot more!
    Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options

@SunnyBunBun79

I'll try this...although i DID manage to weigh out 4.5 oz of cooked rice today and it looked like a lot more than I imagined it would... I always picture half a cup of rice to be this tiny amount in measuring cups but when I weigh it i get a lot more!

If you're weighing your rice cooked, make sure you're using an entry for cooked rice.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    Options

@SunnyBunBun79

If you're weighing your rice cooked, make sure you're using an entry for cooked rice.

thank you, will do
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Just want to say that my mum's cooking directions were the same. "Some" of this and "a handful" of that. Her favourite instruction is "a bunch of..." . Think it's just mums in general who are that way, as she's 9th generation Canadian ;)
    So I do still cook that way, but I weigh it as I go. It's the only way.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    [/quote] If you're weighing your rice cooked, make sure you're using an entry for cooked rice. [/quote]

I have a recipe in the recipe builder and use that. That way I can enter the brand of rice that I've got and the raw weight that I cooked, and know that the nutritional info matches what the packet says. I then set it to 6, 7, 8 portions or however many bags went in to the freezer. When I add rice to my MFP diary, I select my recipe entry. I don't cook another batch until I've finished the previous one.

At 100g, I doubt the brand makes a lot of difference to nutritional info but, I agree, there's a big difference between 100g raw and 100g cooked rice!

Although I said above that I cook white rice in bulk, which is partly true and is something I've actually done for more than 10 years (long before I joined MFP), more recently I've been cooking 200g of white rice and 200g of brown rice then mixing them together and bagging up 9 portions, which may or may not be exactly 100g (but the bags will all weigh the same). This mix increases my fibre intake very, very slightly. I use the same 'rice' recipe entry and just added an extra ingredient to it.