Nervously excited to lose over 100lbs

Options
Hi, everyone. My name is Jamie. I’m 28 years. And I? I’m fat.

I know that that’s not a very nice way to describe yourself and it’s an even worse way for someone else to describe you, but there comes a time when you have to face the reality of a situation. And I? I’m fat. I’ve been fat for a very long time. For me, being overweight has been the same kind of personal descriptor as having brown hair or sporting blue eyes.

I can’t really remember a time when I wasn’t the overweight kid. I knew it, too. Of course you know it. You’re just a little bit rounder than the other kids in class or it’s a little bit more difficult to fit another person on the bus seat with you. As I went through middle school and high school, it became more and more obvious that you’re incredibly overweight because you can’t shop at the same clothing stores or wear the same brands that everyone else is ogling over. You just can’t because you’d never fit in even the largest size they sell.

That translated to me never wanting to go shopping with my friends or really doing much at all. I was embarrassed of myself. I never wanted to go to school dances or events outside of school. Why would I? Everyone would look at me. That’s how it felt. It felt like everyone who laid eyes on me was disgusted by my weight. I was.

It was almost like I thought people would look at me and think things like “how dare she come out in public looking like that” … that kind of thing.

Now is about the time you might be wondering why I didn’t do something about my weight. Right? Why not just lose it? Like, put down the cupcake tubby.

The problem was a bit deeper than that. I’m not saying that losing weight is hard. Objectively, it’s not hard. You eat less and you exercise more.

But, this isn’t a black and white thing. I was depressed and unhappy. This translated to finding comfort through food. I wouldn’t just eat a cupcake...I would eat an entire box of cupcakes. I’d hide the food in my shirt or pants or backpack and take it into my room and gorge. It is an embarrassing thing to talk about. I’m not proud of the clearly poor relationship that I have had with food. Binge eating is such a comfort source for me, but it’s also one of the main reasons that I am forced to write this at 28 years old.

Let’s jump to now, I’m 28 years old. I had a bit of a mental breakdown recently over my weight and being fat.

I would like to not be embarrassed of myself or worry about what my kids will think of me when they get older. I’m worried that my bad habits will become their bad habits... and quite frankly I would never forgive myself for that.

I’m just over this.

I’m over worrying about being the largest person in the room. I’m over even concerning myself with what other people look like. I don’t like the comparison game. I don’t like sighing with relief when there’s someone else who is large, especially when they’re larger than me.

Isn’t that an awful thing to say? I would literally scan the room to see if there was someone else like me. Fat.

This is the last year of my life that I plan to describe myself as fat.

I’m ready to unlock all of my weight loss and health achievements. Feel free to follow my journey. I’m not stopping until I reach my goals. For me, for my husband, for my daughters, for the woman staring back at me in the mirror. It’s time. 2021 will be my year!

It’s nice to be surrounded by people who understand and are on the same pathway. Feel free to friend request me! I’d love to celebrate your victories and be there for you on your hard days too. Let’s rock this year!

Replies

• MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    You’ve started off with a great attitude, meaning you are being honest to yourself. Wish you all the best!
  • Lynatea
    Lynatea Posts: 311 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    What I took from that well written post is I think you could possibly get some healing and/or pleasure from starting a blog here on MFP. Your sense of self acceptance and humor can benefit many, possible including yourself in having that outlet. Regardless it was beautiful and inspiring to me personally. Whatever you decide, welcome to MFP! You can do this!
  • 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I think your post could have been written by so many of us. I know I scan the room and now ZOOM meetings to see if there is anyone larger than I am in the room; I too feel better when there is. I am embarrassed to admit that. I have been a closet eater most of my life. I remember feeling very alone and unworthy coming back from a field trip to New York. I ate an entire bag of peanut butter cups that belonged to my best friend. I know that disgusted her and I don't think our friendship was ever the same. I have never told anyone that story. I put these things out here so you will know you are not alone.

I also know that you are right when you say you will not forgive yourself if your kids follow in your path. My kids are in their mid- thirties. One is very healthy, exercises and eats well. The other is well over 100 pounds overweight. Unfortunately I see my granddaughter headed down the same path and there is not much I can say or do. It makes me sad that I wasn't a better role model. I am working hard to set a good example now.

I agree with the idea of making small changes rather than changing everything at once. That is how I approached my health this time and it has made it much more sustainable. Don't beat yourself up if you don't do this perfectly- you are human. Just keep going. Don't worry if you don't lose as quickly as you think you should. It will come off if you take in fewer calories than you burn. I can go several weeks without losing anything and then drop several pounds. I also know my weight fluctuates, so I don't panic. I personally weigh daily just to be sure that I am trending in the right direction. I know that doesn't work for everyone. You will find what works for you. Good Luck!

• jamie_playftl
    jamie_playftl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Don't get discouraged by small setbacks, be in it for the long haul. :)

Thank you so much! Saying "the long haul" is exactly right. That's my plan! I know that is exactly the missing piece to the puzzle for me. I am looking to make small sustainable steps that add up to the big picture of me being healthy for life - regardless of what the scale says, though - it'll be great to see the number going lower! (:
  • jamie_playftl
    Options
    I'm so glad you are here, Jamie! Welcome!

What are your plans to move toward your goal?

I'd advocate for baby steps. Don't try to change everything, all at once. Pick one small change. Maybe you cut out one soda per day, or commit to 30 minutes of exercise 3 times per week. Once that change is incorporated into your life and feels normal, make one other small change. Rinse and repeat.

If you like podcasts, Half Size Me is an awesome one. The podcaster has lost 170 pounds and kept it off since 2012, IIRC.

I really appreciate this, I'll have to check out that podcast. I have lost around 100 pounds in the past and did not keep it off because I did not make those sustainable changes. I definitely agree that it's the small changes that will add up!

My overall plan is to just try reshaping the amount/what I am eating. I have never had a problem with wanting to exercise; I really enjoy the feeling of both during and what my energy levels are like after. That being said, my overeating is always a massive issue. I have been replacing some of my meals in a way that tricks me. For example, I used to eat a chicken sandwich and a single serving bag of sweet spicy chili doritos for lunch...with dessert after. I love salads and so I have been eating a massive salad for the same calories (with that same chicken) and the option to eat the bag of doritos also. That salad leaves me so so full that I never feel the need to eat the doritos after and has also allowed me to eat a smaller "dessert" snack afterwards. Lunch and nighttime snacking were always my main problem times so I'm trying to adjust there.

Another plan for me is to curb random snack cravings with a food that I've considered a free food. I've picked baby carrots. So if I'm hungry during the day, but not hungry enough to pound out some baby carrots - then I'm clearly not that hungry.

Most importantly, I'm just trying to be kinder to myself this time around. If I have a bad day and eat something that I don't really think fits the narrative of a healthy (or in my head it spirals to things like attractive and good quality) human then I'll just try to let it roll off of my shoulders. After all, I don't plan to stop having days like that once I'm at a healthier/better looking place.

I think that's a key plan for me moving forward: Understanding that this isn't going to have a finish line. I'm not going to hit under 200 pounds or even my goal weight and be like "great work, we're done here". I'm just going to try to live and encompass the lifestyle of what I would have if I was already at my "goal weight" - which I think is really powerful and something that was lacking from each failed weight loss attempt in the past.

Thanks for asking that and for taking the time to comment here - it really made me think and made my motivation even stronger!
  • jamie_playftl
    Options
    You’ve started off with a great attitude, meaning you are being honest to yourself. Wish you all the best!

Thank you so much! <3
  • jamie_playftl
    Options
    Just going to fix the first line for you... other than that, it sounds fab!
    Hi, everyone. My name is Jamie. I’m 28 years. And I? I’m have fat.

You're awesome! Thank you so much (:
  • jamie_playftl
    Options
    What I took from that well written post is I think you could possibly get some healing and/or pleasure from starting a blog here on MFP. Your sense of self acceptance and humor can benefit many, possible including yourself in having that outlet. Regardless it was beautiful and inspiring to me personally. Whatever you decide, welcome to MFP! You can do this!

I really appreciate that and am glad that it was inspiring to you! Thank you so much for the friend request! I look forward to getting to support each other on our pathways! <3
  • jamie_playftl
    Options
    1poundatax wrote: »
    Welcome, I think your post could have been written by so many of us. I know I scan the room and now ZOOM meetings to see if there is anyone larger than I am in the room; I too feel better when there is. I am embarrassed to admit that. I have been a closet eater most of my life. I remember feeling very alone and unworthy coming back from a field trip to New York. I ate an entire bag of peanut butter cups that belonged to my best friend. I know that disgusted her and I don't think our friendship was ever the same. I have never told anyone that story. I put these things out here so you will know you are not alone.

I also know that you are right when you say you will not forgive yourself if your kids follow in your path. My kids are in their mid- thirties. One is very healthy, exercises and eats well. The other is well over 100 pounds overweight. Unfortunately I see my granddaughter headed down the same path and there is not much I can say or do. It makes me sad that I wasn't a better role model. I am working hard to set a good example now.

I agree with the idea of making small changes rather than changing everything at once. That is how I approached my health this time and it has made it much more sustainable. Don't beat yourself up if you don't do this perfectly- you are human. Just keep going. Don't worry if you don't lose as quickly as you think you should. It will come off if you take in fewer calories than you burn. I can go several weeks without losing anything and then drop several pounds. I also know my weight fluctuates, so I don't panic. I personally weigh daily just to be sure that I am trending in the right direction. I know that doesn't work for everyone. You will find what works for you. Good Luck!

I cannot begin to explain how appreciative I am of your comment. It genuinely is nice to know that I'm not alone in the things that I have experienced or feel or that have just accumulated to have me where I am today. So, really, thank you.

Not being able to change the past is something that I really struggle with. It's easy to get caught up in the guilt or the negative emotions of situations that have happened with food or just the lack of trying harder back then -- or in my case trying much at all. But much like you, working hard to set those examples now really does matter. In fact, it is really all that matters. The actions that we make now have the ability to inspire those around us - even if we previously helped them set not so great habits. So I'm so happy for you for being an awesome role model now...because that really does matter and should be very much so celebrated.

Thank you so much, again, and I wish you all the best on your health/life journey!
  • determined_M_91
    determined_M_91 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This hit home hard! My heart goes out to you, you got this! You are amazing and powerful and we are here to help you along your journey. It won't be easy but it will the best thing you've ever done in your life!
  • jamie_playftl
    Options
    This hit home hard! My heart goes out to you, you got this! You are amazing and powerful and we are here to help you along your journey. It won't be easy but it will the best thing you've ever done in your life!

Thank you so much. I am so glad that you friended me because I completely relate to what is written on your profile to the point where I could have copied and pasted a lot of it to my own. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you a bit and cheer you on during this lifelong change we are both making. <3<3
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hug hug hug hug hug hug hug!!!!!

Your post resonates with so many here.

What I’m hearing is that that “thing” in your head has snapped, much like it did in my head. I don’t know what triggered it, but there was definitely a before and after line drawn in the sand of my life.

I love that you are thinking about this, and have plans. The Doritos thing may sound “out there” to some, but many of us get where you are coming from.

You need to follow any posts by @NovusDies I think you would find them interesting. A lot of what you say reminds me of him.

He started a group you might be interested in:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers

Much success to you. Hugs, again!!!!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hi, everyone. My name is Jamie. I’m 28 years. And I? I’m fat.

I know that that’s not a very nice way to describe yourself and it’s an even worse way for someone else to describe you, but there comes a time when you have to face the reality of a situation. And I? I’m fat. I’ve been fat for a very long time. For me, being overweight has been the same kind of personal descriptor as having brown hair or sporting blue eyes.

I can’t really remember a time when I wasn’t the overweight kid. I knew it, too. Of course you know it. You’re just a little bit rounder than the other kids in class or it’s a little bit more difficult to fit another person on the bus seat with you. As I went through middle school and high school, it became more and more obvious that you’re incredibly overweight because you can’t shop at the same clothing stores or wear the same brands that everyone else is ogling over. You just can’t because you’d never fit in even the largest size they sell.

That translated to me never wanting to go shopping with my friends or really doing much at all. I was embarrassed of myself. I never wanted to go to school dances or events outside of school. Why would I? Everyone would look at me. That’s how it felt. It felt like everyone who laid eyes on me was disgusted by my weight. I was.

It was almost like I thought people would look at me and think things like “how dare she come out in public looking like that” … that kind of thing.

Now is about the time you might be wondering why I didn’t do something about my weight. Right? Why not just lose it? Like, put down the cupcake tubby.

The problem was a bit deeper than that. I’m not saying that losing weight is hard. Objectively, it’s not hard. You eat less and you exercise more.

But, this isn’t a black and white thing. I was depressed and unhappy. This translated to finding comfort through food. I wouldn’t just eat a cupcake...I would eat an entire box of cupcakes. I’d hide the food in my shirt or pants or backpack and take it into my room and gorge. It is an embarrassing thing to talk about. I’m not proud of the clearly poor relationship that I have had with food. Binge eating is such a comfort source for me, but it’s also one of the main reasons that I am forced to write this at 28 years old.

Let’s jump to now, I’m 28 years old. I had a bit of a mental breakdown recently over my weight and being fat.

I would like to not be embarrassed of myself or worry about what my kids will think of me when they get older. I’m worried that my bad habits will become their bad habits... and quite frankly I would never forgive myself for that.

I’m just over this.

I’m over worrying about being the largest person in the room. I’m over even concerning myself with what other people look like. I don’t like the comparison game. I don’t like sighing with relief when there’s someone else who is large, especially when they’re larger than me.

Isn’t that an awful thing to say? I would literally scan the room to see if there was someone else like me. Fat.

This is the last year of my life that I plan to describe myself as fat.

I’m ready to unlock all of my weight loss and health achievements. Feel free to follow my journey. I’m not stopping until I reach my goals. For me, for my husband, for my daughters, for the woman staring back at me in the mirror. It’s time. 2021 will be my year!

It’s nice to be surrounded by people who understand and are on the same pathway. Feel free to friend request me! I’d love to celebrate your victories and be there for you on your hard days too. Let’s rock this year!

Welcome.

If you had visited me a couple of years ago you would have been relieved not to be the heaviest person in the room. That was my permanent label. I was never ever in a room with someone larger than me. I never had to look, what would be the point? I take no delight in the fact that others have taken my place. I would have much rather that everyone everywhere had been losing weight at the same time and because I still have some vanity pounds to lose I would still be the heaviest. Due to my age and personality I am probably better equipped to handle it. It doesn't work that way though.

You won't get it all done in a year if all you have to lose is over 100 pounds. Your rate of loss needs to slow down as you lose weight. Also, it is a bit much to ask that you will lose the maximum amount you can lose each week for an extended period of time. Life doesn't stop because you have chosen to lose weight. My first year of loss had nearly 6 weeks (mostly nonconsecutive days except some holidays and vacations) of time I was not losing. That didn't keep me from losing over 150 pounds though. It made it possible.

Don't be discouraged by the fact it will take longer than a year. If you do it right, it will fly by. The other "trick" is to take time to appreciate all your NSVs. Your life will change for the better earlier in the process than you imagine. Things will get easier. Clothes will start to fall off you (be careful of that in public). You will feel better.

Above you were linked to my group here at MFP. We are founded on the principles of sensible and sustainable weight loss. We discuss and troubleshoot the real problem areas of weight loss... that space between the ears. It is not enough to lose weight. You need to lose the habits and mindset of the person who gained it.

You are welcome to join.

Here are a few of my key threads along the way. Something in one of them may be of a benefit to you.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731694/after-a-year-over-150lbs-lost-learned-a-few-things/p1

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10791606/2-years-over-200-pounds-lost-lessons-learned-and-life-changed#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10815550/mine-is-not-a-success-story/p1
  • secretgirl29
    secretgirl29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can definitely see myself in your words. I am starting over with a new mindset this week - we can do this!
  • AvaEBerry
    AvaEBerry Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60lbs since June 2020. No surgery. No fad diets. Just hard work. I was you and I'm here to tell you you've got this. Feel free to add me.
  • Firefly743
    Firefly743 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I’m really super proud of you for articulating how you feel!! I totally relate!! Feel free to send a friend request - I’d love to be there to support you. ♥️
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are worthy to live your best self!

It's not about the food...it's the relationship you have with yourself.

There are so many in this community that will support you and are doing just what you are doing.

You sure sound like a strong, intelligent woman who has a plan...make it happen😁