40+ Friends Starting Fresh 2021

Replies

• 2furryfriendz
    2furryfriendz Posts: 283 Member
    Hi! I'm 46 and I have about 40lbs to lose. My downfall is I love baking and cooking. With my husband and I in the household, someone's' got to eat it and I only make one size. LOL! So portion control is an issue with me.

I am dedicated to lose this weight and make 2021 my year to get healthy and fit. I am here to ask for support from others going through the same thing. Cheers to all and lets do this!
    Feel free to add me.

I bake a lot. I don't eat most of it. skinny Minnie hubby does. but if you learn how to calculate calories correctly, and use the recipe builder, you can fit treats in your daily calorie goals. and figure out the calories/ gram for anything you make. last week I had apple pie. I'm banking calories this week for my birthday on Thursday. cause... CAKE! glorious cake! at 3 calories per gram LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOO doesn't sound like much, but it is LOL

Although I baked a lot, I rarely ate any of it. I might have a cookie or two but that's it. Most often, 3/4 of the batch goes to my colleagues and the rest for hubby. Although, I found a recipe for Chinese cocktail buns (it reminds me of my childhood).. made these to resemble the ones my parents use to buy in the bakeries...nuke it for 10 sec and enjoy with a cup of tea or coffee.. YUM!
    I may have to bank more calories now....
  • squishymissay
    squishymissay Posts: 37 Member
    I’m 48 years old and looking to lose 48 pounds. Can it be done at this age?
  • kimmy1076mack
    kimmy1076mack Posts: 4 Member
    Im new. Im kimberlee 44 years old 3 kids and 3 grandchildren. I have a 2 blockages in my heart and i got occipital neuralgia and i recently got rid of a blood clot in my left calf. I need to lose 35lbs. To help with lowering my cholesterol and heart attack risk. Its been a hard 4 months. Since i got this news.
  • gmbenji4
    gmbenji4 Posts: 1 Member
    Hang in there! I am not new to using MFP for meal entries, but am new to this Community section. I have always been more successful when there’s someone to lean on every once in a while. I’m not sure how this “chat” works, but if there’s a way to keep up a dialogue I’m game! One day at a time, one day closer to your goal!
  • The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 202 Member
    I’m 48 years old and looking to lose 48 pounds. Can it be done at this age?

@squishymissay Yes, it can be done. I am 53 and I have lost 55lbs so far and still have another 25lb to go.
  • Pamdar67
    Pamdar67 Posts: 14 Member
    Good Morning to all from frosty Maryland, USA. I am a 68 y/o retired nurse, mother, grandmother. I have lived alone for the past two yrs after my Dad died in 2018. I have gained 15 pounds in the past year! Staying at home, eating all the wrong things and not cooking much. I ordered two new pairs of size 18 pants and cannot get into them! I am so mad and disappointed with myself. I want to connect with others who are around my age and need motivation to continue!
  • Most of us are are in your same shoes/pants. I order 16’s and they are tight. You will get into them, it’s just so slow. I see men posting losing 60 lbs in 3 months, I only wish! I’m tracking calories and trying a lower carbs. After 10 days no loss. It’s beyond frustrating, but if we don’t keep on track future pant sizes will only get bigger. It’s great that your taking time to turn things around. My biggest challenge is exercise. I just can’t seem to get motivated. I’m pre-menopausal and losing will be even more of a challenge without movement. It’s obvious the older we get the harder it is to lose.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Don't lose too fast. The slower you lose the healthier and the more likely it becomes your lifestyle to be fit.
  • I wonder is Covid related depression does something to the body making it harder to lose. Usually when I’m eating right it boosts energy and mood. Being home and isolated sure seems to be making losing slower/harder.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Attitude is a big part. I struggle through the winter any year. I'm forcing myself outside for a walk as much as possible.
  • Is the only way to post is starting a new post at the bottom of the Feed? I’ve tried replying to individual posts but I can’t figure out how to do it. I feel like I’m in one of those commercials with the guy that explains how to not turn into your parents. I’d you haven’t seen the commercial here is a link, cracks me up. https://youtu.be/dTGfLObZYfUIs
  • Btw my husband is also on the journey for a healthier life style. I have a rare heart condition. He’s always worried about Taking care of me. But I’m afraid he’s the one most at risk. He’s over 300 pounds and he eats the majority of his calories all at night. I asked him to throw away all the Christmas cookies days ago and found yesterday he’s been eating them! I was a little annoyed because were spending money on buying high-protein snacks and food meanwhile he’s eating those items and the cookies. I’m sure you all know how expensive it can be to buy high-protein snacks!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    Food for thought...

High protein snacks are a replacement for snacks. To remain in caloric deficit is pretty tough when you add snacks. Makes your meals even smaller.
  • caseylarousse
    caseylarousse Posts: 2 Member
    I'm 41 and have about 80 pounds to lose. I had a baby in 2020 and was already overweight to begin with. Then, I broke my ankle and needed surgery, after which I was completely chair bound for nearly 4 months. Add in stress eating from pandemic, politics, and being a new mom and here I am.
  • JCH187
    JCH187 Posts: 39 Member
    I’m in! 51 from the UK a lot of lose and a serial restarter! I have added a load of people from this thread to help motivate each other! Feel free to add me
  • CourtneyLomonaco
    CourtneyLomonaco Posts: 562 Member
    I am 42, almost 43, and have gained 14 pounds since school started in September. I did really well during the quarantine in the Spring, but am struggling with bad food choices lately. I run, do Beachbody workouts, work full time, have 3 kiddos of my own, and love to read. My trouble is night eating, specifically candy. It would be so simple if I just didn't buy it....I am determined to lose it, though. Let's do this!
  • Lisafitmom
    Lisafitmom Posts: 10 Member
    Heading into my 47th trip around the sun 😄 but age is not a factor over a determined mind 🤜🏻🤛🏻
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Today it got a bit easier to walk outside. I tend to prefer walking when there is no one around, so its mostly at night when I feel really comfortable to walk. It was super cold but I made it to 50 mins!
  • NunyaWest
    NunyaWest Posts: 87 Member
    Pandemic has not been good to me - I went from being a well conditioned- disciplined gym goer to a struggling fast food chocoholic. Trying to right the ship but finding it difficult being home based. The new year offers a fresh start.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Hi
    I am 43 and trying to actually get to my goal weight this year! I seem to lose a few pounds, then gain a few back...I haven't returned to my heaviest, but I would really like to see some real progress this year.
    I have about 15lb left to lose to get to goal (could possibly go a little lower, but let's get to that goal first!)

I live in New Zealand with my husband, 2 kids and the dog.
    Luckily my DH is keen to make some healthy adjustments this year too, and the dog is always keen for a walk.