Dry January

Replies

• LMM217
    LMM217 Posts: 10 Member
    Today is the first day I’ve wanted a beer. I’m cleaning the house, and I usually reward myself with a beer between chores lol. Luckily, I don’t have any in the house!
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    One week in!
    I started this forum on a whim and thought January would be relatively beast month. WRONG. Between more covid restrictions (more at home schooling here, I'm a stay at home dad) and the crap in DC..it's a wonder I'm not hung over today. But, I'm NOT.
    I didn't really think reading everyone's posts would mean much..Also WRONG.
    It's cool knowing more in the same boat.
    Feel free to send me a friend request if anyone wants!
    Yay for you! Keep up the good work. Really wanting a glass of wine right now....it's cold outside and fire in the fire place......nope not gonna do it!
  • kbru19
    kbru19 Posts: 23 Member
    I'm in! I did it for the first time last year and got a lot out of it.

This year I decided to take a break from alcohol after Thanksgiving through Christmas, and do Dry January again. I threw in the week in between for good measure... don't want to risk undoing all my weight loss progress! I might extend it out a little bit into February, but my birthday is 2/22 and I do NOT plan on missing out on cake and a glass of wine that day!
  • kbru19
    kbru19 Posts: 23 Member
    For anyone who misses beer and is looking for a good NA substitute, I strongly recommend Wellbeing Brewing. They only make NA drinks so their whole focus is on making it a high quality. And they have a few options depending on what type of beer you like. If you like Blue Moon, try their Victory Wheat. Tastes just like it! Maybe even better tbh

This is the website and they have a map option to find stores carrying it: https://wellbeingbrewing.com/
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,132 Member
    Decided to go dry when I started a two week transformation workout on January 2. A friend said he was doing January so figured I'd join. Usually I'd be curling a lot at this time of year and since I'm not it's my chance to try a dry month

I have so much energy. Not that I need more energy but wow I have way too much now!
  • rcervetto
    rcervetto Posts: 56 Member
    I'm doing Dry January as well (well, since 12:30am on the 1st or so).

Drinking has been stalling my weight loss for months, I was drinking a bottle of wine most nights, not good for my waistline or health in general... When January is over, I plan to go back to drinking only on the weekends again. I was doing well with that at the beginning of Covid/lockdown when I was in weight loss mode after having my 2nd daughter, but it creeped to nearly every day several months ago.

Already down 5 pounds! Mostly water weight probably, but I'm now only 2 pounds up from where I was at before the holidays.
  • NalaBellyFIT
    NalaBellyFIT Posts: 46 Member
    I cannot believe how good I feel since beginning dry January. I am on day 12 and don't think I've gone this long without drinking since I turned 21 fifteen years ago. Normally, I drink an easy three glasses of wine a night, and sometimes more.

I'm down 8.2 pounds and can't wait to see how much more I can take off before the end of the month. Although I am eager to have that first glass of wine, I also sort of don't want this to end (OMG in a million years I wouldn't have guessed that...)

I'm giving strong consideration to what I want my drinking to look like in February and moving forward, because I feel like I have a chance to redefine things here.

I'm glad to hear it sounds like lots of you are getting some positivity from not drinking, too!
  • LanceALars65
    LanceALars65 Posts: 16 Member
    I cannot believe how good I feel since beginning dry January. I am on day 12 and don't think I've gone this long without drinking since I turned 21 fifteen years ago. Normally, I drink an easy three glasses of wine a night, and sometimes more.

I'm down 8.2 pounds and can't wait to see how much more I can take off before the end of the month. Although I am eager to have that first glass of wine, I also sort of don't want this to end (OMG in a million years I wouldn't have guessed that...)

I'm giving strong consideration to what I want my drinking to look like in February and moving forward, because I feel like I have a chance to redefine things here.

I'm glad to hear it sounds like lots of you are getting some positivity from not drinking, too!

NalaBellyFIT, we are near the same situation. I'm rethinking when dry January is over how much to drink going forward. (Wine also a favorite)
    Feeling good 12 days in. Sleeping better, more energy. 👍 Remember waking up and feeling like you had about 15 minutes of sleep? Ya that sucked,not missing any of that.
  • jessieknh
    jessieknh Posts: 52 Member
    I have been so good with dry January, logging all my food and exercising daily when weighed myself today and hardly lost anything. It's a bit discouraging because I thought my first weigh in would be a few pounds (water weight and stuff). Oh well. I'm sticking with it.
  • KarenPluta
    KarenPluta Posts: 1 Member
    Okay, why not? I just stocked up on decaf earl grey tea and sparkling water so I'll try!

What brand of decaf earl grey - Lady Grey? I can't steep it long enough to get a good brew. What's your secret?
  • What_Katie_Does
    What_Katie_Does Posts: 1 Member
    Day 12 here, love gin at the weekends normally. I'm now drinking soda water with ice, and a slice of lime in a gin glass. So refreshing, asnd great to have no hangover when the kids are banging around the next day 🤣🤣
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I think it's easier (for me) to pass on the alcohol for right now because I'm enjoying hot tea. This is not the case once the weather warms up. I'll have to find something, maybe a protein shake???? 🤷‍♀️
  • pippas
    pippas Posts: 2 Member
    Hi! This is my third Dry January and by far the one I’ve enjoyed the most. The last times I really did miss wine/gin/cocktails but this time I don’t at all. All associated health benefits are evident already which keeps me going. Worried that with Scotland going into a strict lockdown on the 4th of Jan might derail me but it’s served to strengthen my resolve. Well done everyone on your achievement so far! Almost half way there.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    How is everyone doing? I am craving my Saturday night glass of wine but holding strong! Hope you all are as well. We are half way there!
  • Alinouveau2
    I am missing just chilling with a weekend glass of wine. We're under a stay at home order so it's kind of good doing dry January because it's really easy to just drink too much when you are stuck at home.

This is really the only year is be able to do this so it's kind of a fun challenge and my wine rack will still be there. Can't believe January is half over already
  • Alinouveau2
    LMM217 wrote: »
    Well, the last half of dry January has been/will be easy for me. I have Covid and alcohol sounds absolutely terrible. :(

How is everyone else doing?

Oh no hope you feel better and have minimal symptoms.

I can't believe there's basically one week left of Dry January. Hubs had some wine yesterday and I was tempted but I figured why give in now and I just refilled my water bottle.