I’ve gained another 0.2 pounds since yesterday :( what’s wrong with me

I just can’t stand it - I’m four weeks in, working out between 30-45 mins per day a mixture of cardio and resistance through the body project online workouts

Calories are 1500 per day which is what I was recommended by MFP for weight loss. I’m doing everything I can and the scale just goes up and up

I am not slimming down - I just took tape measure measurements

What is wrong with me

Replies

• goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    There is nothing wrong with you. It is normal. Weight fluctuates on a daily basis for various reasons such as hormones, fluid retention or rehydration, medication, whether you've had a bowel movement, amount of exercise you did the day before etc.

If you can't cope with daily fluctuations don't weigh daily, weigh once a week or every fortnight.

Google: weight fluctuates on a daily basis - you will find plenty of articles

Thanks but I am now 3 lbs heavier than last week
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,093 Member
    Everything that has been said in your other recent threads is still valid.

If you are still gaining weight over the next four weeks, then perhaps reevaluate. But for now: relax! Stressing like this is only going to exarcerbate any potential stress related water retention.
  • thisvickyruns
    thisvickyruns Posts: 193 Member
    you need to stop weighing yourself every day, or even every week, if fluctuations upset you.

weight loss isn't linear.
  • SunnyBunBun79
    SunnyBunBun79 Posts: 2,228 Member
    Maybe the calcs are wrong and you need to go on a different calorie deficit?
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    A pound of fat contains 3,500 calories. If you did not eat an extra 10,500 calories on top of what your body needed to keep you alive last week, you have not gained three pounds of fat. A pint of water weighs a pound, and the human body is 55-60% water. I didn't see if you mentioned it already, but are you measuring your food in any way, or just eyeballing it?

If you're not using a kitchen scale to weigh out your portions, you may be eating significantly more than you think you are, even if you are measuring volumetrically (cups and spoons). Volumetric measurements are for liquids, solid foods should be weighed in grams or ounces. You can pick up a decent kitchen scale for less than $30 (I have an Escali and it works great). Try that, if you aren't already doing so, and see if that moves the needle any.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    If you’re female, “that time of the month” can cause fluctuations as well. Mine is always a little crazy the week before it starts. Cycles make a big difference.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Did you read the water weight article we posted in your other thread?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    goatelope wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with you. It is normal. Weight fluctuates on a daily basis for various reasons such as hormones, fluid retention or rehydration, medication, whether you've had a bowel movement, amount of exercise you did the day before etc.

If you can't cope with daily fluctuations don't weigh daily, weigh once a week or every fortnight.

Google: weight fluctuates on a daily basis - you will find plenty of articles

Thanks but I am now 3 lbs heavier than last week

I can be up or down anywhere from 0 to 3-5 Lbs day to day depending...up 3 Lbs is well within the norm of regular bodyweight fluctuations, particularly in a week to week weigh in.

That aside, are you weighing in at the same time of day and under the same conditions? Are you clothed? For most people, this means pretty much first thing in the morning after you've used the restroom and typically unclothed. Also keep in mind that if you aren't one that goes everyday, that will play with the scale as well given you will have digestive waste building up.
  • goatelope
    Hello everyone

I am weighing everything; I then check the calories and log it. I would say allowing for any errors, I eat 1500 calories per day. I calculated 1743 for maintenance, and so I thought consuming 1500 would lead to loss.

I do not always get 10000 steps in, but I work out 6 times per week; 2-3 of those days I do 30 mins and the rest of the time more like 45-50. I’ve been doing that for just over a month now.

I weigh everything, I drink water and I never have alcohol.

It’s not my time of the month - I’ve seen steady gain of between 0.2 and 0.5 pounds per day.

Thanks for any help
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Between 0.2 and 0.5 pounds per day for how long?

Gaining after starting or increasing exercise is probably the #1 complaint here. If your numbers are right, it almost certainly water. Stay the course.

The alternative is to cut calories. Fact is that the calculators are based on averages and statistics. The numbers are not exact.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited January 2021
    2.4 lbs heavier this morning - I thought WTF this is harder the older you get.
    But I will continue on this quest until I reach the mountain top, until then I am slowly climbing my way to the top
    I starting adding weights to my workout instead of just doing the elliptical - my legs are feeling smoother and the thigh rub seems to be going away
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    goatelope wrote: »
    Hello everyone

I am weighing everything; I then check the calories and log it. I would say allowing for any errors, I eat 1500 calories per day. I calculated 1743 for maintenance, and so I thought consuming 1500 would lead to loss.

I do not always get 10000 steps in, but I work out 6 times per week; 2-3 of those days I do 30 mins and the rest of the time more like 45-50. I’ve been doing that for just over a month now.

I weigh everything, I drink water and I never have alcohol.

It’s not my time of the month - I’ve seen steady gain of between 0.2 and 0.5 pounds per day.

Thanks for any help

Get yourself 100% Cranberry Juice or 100% Cherry Tart Juice from Trade Joe's
    Just be prepared for a pissing contest - both really works with getting rid of water retention
  • eliseducky
    eliseducky Posts: 12 Member
    are you constipated?
  • goatelope
    Hi, about 9 days
  • goatelope
    eliseducky wrote: »
    are you constipated?

No