Work out skirts? Weight lifting

Options
Anyone have recommendations for skirts that would be good for working out to slip on over leggings? Something with stretch that won't get in the way. I like to have my rear covered, but also don't want it getting caught.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at the short kind of ballet dancewear practice skirts?
  • CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Have you looked at the short kind of ballet dancewear practice skirts?

That was a thought. But wanted to see if there were other things out there
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    There are loads of workout/running skirts on Amazon. If your only concern is covering your butt, I imagine any of them would do, as they are generally quite short and made of light sports quality materials.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,560 Member
    Options
    What about extra long tank tops? Might that work too?
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

Well, *I* might be interested. Today I tried to throw on an extra-large t-shirt over my long sleeves to out for a run, and the armpits of the t-shirt were rubbing near my elbows, while the hem barely covered my VPL. Not that I usually have an issue with showing my butt - but the last batch of leggings I bought somehow make it look BAD. I swear the elastic of my underpants doesn't cut into my glutes like that without those leggings on... HOW do they even do that???
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,560 Member
    Options

Well, *I* might be interested. Today I tried to throw on an extra-large t-shirt over my long sleeves to out for a run, and the armpits of the t-shirt were rubbing near my elbows, while the hem barely covered my VPL. Not that I usually have an issue with showing my butt - but the last batch of leggings I bought somehow make it look BAD. I swear the elastic of my underpants doesn't cut into my glutes like that without those leggings on... HOW do they even do that???

I'm "blessed" with stupid long legs, so I have bought far too many tights that fit poorly, fell down, or left me with saggy crotch. LOL. Now that I've found GRRRL tights, I won't go anywhere else. They are magic for the butt. (No matter what size you are!).

For long tanks, I have a couple that cover my butt and are a bit looser flow, but they can be hard to come by. Some of the running rooms have a longer "tail" than front, but you often pay a bit more too.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I'm "blessed" with stupid long legs, so I have bought far too many tights that fit poorly, fell down, or left me with saggy crotch. LOL. Now that I've found GRRRL tights, I won't go anywhere else. They are magic for the butt. (No matter what size you are!).

For long tanks, I have a couple that cover my butt and are a bit looser flow, but they can be hard to come by. Some of the running rooms have a longer "tail" than front, but you often pay a bit more too.

That's true, and there are some with a bit more "skirt-y" fullness around the hips, too - like a loose tank-tunic. I think they're maybe meant to wear over a sports bra and leggings for a little forgiveness-oriented flow-y-ness? Not sure. I've seen photos, but pretty much never wear tanks *or* sports bras in public so haven't given it full attention.

But: Tunic-length tops, generally, with or without waist definition, might be an option, depending on what @CryingBlue is trying to accomplish.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you have Decathlon where you are they have some leggings with a skirt attached, very reasonable cost.

Does it have to be a skirt? I was just thinking of those loose, longer length boxer type shorts to wear over the top. Might be easier to get hold of without the catching up issue.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,210 Member
    Options
    What about tying a sweatshirt or flannel shirt around your waist? That's what I would do when the creepy guys (may one RIP) would show up to watch curling.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options

I checked out the leggings you recommended, but I'm super cheap - probably how I wound up with these bizarrely unflattering (but non-chafing and they stay up fine, and go all the way down to my ankles) leggings. They came in a 3pack or 4pack for less than $20 on Amazon. As much as they have negative aesthetic qualities, they were really quite a bargain. Alas, I shall never experience the magic you have found. Which is probably going to be the case for those long tanks, too. I have been doing just fine in $5 tanks from WalMart all along. I might have to consider cutting the sleeves entirely off a men's shirt that fits the length requirement. I sew, so I could take in any looseness from the sides, if I needed to. I will probably just suck it up and look lumpy if I have to do any more outdoor runs this winter. Sorry to take up the bandwidth, here. I forgot for a minute how cheap I am.

Oh, wait - I can be a little helpful. Apparently Tennis Skirts tend to be less pricey than Running Skirts. So, that's at least a term you can put into the search bar to see if the results will be acceptable. I mean, I recognize that not everyone is as cheap as I am - but I don't know anyone that wants to spend more for no good reason.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Maybe a tennis skirt would fit the bill? I see quite a few women who wear loose boxing type shorts over leggings, too.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    There are also workout skorts. The slit ones don't always have a flap in back, I think, but some do. Not sure whether the flap type would be more likely to catch on things, or less - may depend on equipment you're using.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    Lulu Lemon made some nice skorts last summer. I had them in all the colors and wore them all the time, including lifting. They were very comfortable. They have a inner silicon “ring” that keeps the shorts from riding up, and a comfortably high waistband.

I swore as a fat woman I’d never wear Lulu, because their sales associates were so freaking judgmental and snippy and they didn’t carry sizes for bigger practitioners, but I have to admit, their cool tanks, tight jackets and skorts are great.

I just wish they’d have done some personality training, and recognized that not every yogi is thin and lithe.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    In any event, I wouldn’t worry about covering your butt. It’s all in our heads anyway. Most the guys at my gym are so focused on what they’re doing, or what the next guy is doing, they dont ever come off as checking out butts.

• CryingBlue
    CryingBlue Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    In any event, I wouldn’t worry about covering your butt. It’s all in our heads anyway. Most the guys at my gym are so focused on what they’re doing, or what the next guy is doing, they dont ever come off as checking out butts.

It's more for dressing conservatively for personal reasons. I'm not worried about guys looking, thats their own issue.

I did find some cute looking leggings/skirt combos on Amazon. I'll start with those before I'm willing so spend more money.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever seen a workout skirt in the gym...most ladies I see either just wear their leggings or they wear shorts over.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't think I've ever seen a workout skirt in the gym...most ladies I see either just wear their leggings or they wear shorts over.

Yeah me neither, although I think the suggestion of long shirts might be an easy solution.
  • sampson2010
    sampson2010 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out Modli at https://modli.co/ca/activewear.html.

I've never purchased from them so I can't give a personal recommendation, but their website shows what looks to be an excellent selection of modest active wear (and swimwear). I see number of skirt/leggings combos that I think would be comfortable to lift in (flowy enough that it wouldn't ride up as you're squatting).

Bonus points for the fact that they're having a 40% off sale right now (and the fact that it looks like they ship worldwide).
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Another vote for tennis skirts. They have smooth and pleated varieties, and the ones I own have shorts attached underneath, not just a panty-type cover.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    CryingBlue wrote: »
    Anyone have recommendations for skirts that would be good for working out to slip on over leggings? Something with stretch that won't get in the way. I like to have my rear covered, but also don't want it getting caught.
    Check female tennis skirts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png