Cut off for “not enough calories”

If MFP doesn’t think you are eating enough calories, you get a message saying so. Is the cutoff 1,000 calories? Thanks.

Replies

• Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    Thank you. My calorie budget is 1290, and I’m trying to come in below that every day. I have a very narrow range to fit into. :)
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Thank you. My calorie budget is 1290, and I’m trying to come in below that every day. I have a very narrow range to fit into. :)

Why are you trying to get below 1290? That is very close to the minimum amount that you should be eating anyway.
  • Whatsthemotive
    I think MFP set that calorie goal. And I thought that the goal was to come in below it. Not by a lot.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Ok. Thank you. I have been eating more if I got the alert and going back into my diary and logging the additional food.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    I think MFP set that calorie goal. And I thought that the goal was to come in below it. Not by a lot.

If MFP gave you a goal of 1290, then that is your goal to eat. The calorie deificit has already been deducted so you don't have to eat less than that number.
    So in other words, if you chose 1 lb a week, MFP determined that your maintenance calories (before exercising) was 1790, and deducted 500 calories off that number.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Thanks. I believe that I did choose 1 pound a week. I appreciate all the clarification.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Aside from agreeing with all of the above due to the health risks from under-eating, how tall are you, how much do you weigh and how much are you trying to lose? Also, are you logging exercise and eating your exercise calories?
  • Whatsthemotive
    I’m 5’4”, currently weigh 197 pounds
    Want to lose 50 pounds. I am logging exercise and those calories log to my diary.
  • Whatsthemotive
    I double checked and I did enter that I wanted to lose one pound a week. And MFP gave me the 1290 calorie count.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Please also read this, or at least page 1: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10761904/under-1200-for-weight-loss/p1

It's in the Useful Posts (also referred to as the stickies) at the top of the General Health forum. I've been on MFP long enough to have read several similar posts. It's not worth it.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Thank you. I was confused partly because I get a post saying my diary was under the calorie goal, so I thought that was a good thing. I lost a pound and a half last week so I’m not looking for or getting a rapid weight loss.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    You should be at or under your calorie goal, that is the purpose. Sounds like your doing a great job. Keep it up!!
  • RockingWithLJ
    RockingWithLJ Posts: 243 Member
    Thank you. I was confused partly because I get a post saying my diary was under the calorie goal, so I thought that was a good thing. I lost a pound and a half last week so I’m not looking for or getting a rapid weight loss.

Awesome work!
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2021
    I double checked and I did enter that I wanted to lose one pound a week. And MFP gave me the 1290 calorie count.

Just keep in mind that MFP's daily calorie estimations aren't always accurate. I'm maintaining my current weight and it gave me a goal of something like 1570 calories. That surprised me because I wouldn't expect that an adult woman of average height would be given such a low calorie goal, and also I remembered it being higher (around 1800) when I used MFP in the past. I know from experience of maintaining over years that my baseline is around 2000-2100 calories, and then of course if I exercise I have to eat even more, so for me their estimate is really off. So just keep that in mind and, if you find that you're losing more weight than expected, that could be the reason why.
  • Whatsthemotive
    Thanks