Protein Help

Really struggling to hit 40% protein. Can anyone help? I don't have a big appetite. I don't eat red meat or eggs which I know limits things.
Plus I have to eat high fibre due to medical reasons.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
:)

Replies

• Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Why have you set your protein to 40% and how many grams does that give you to eat?
    Eating sufficient protein is important for maintaining muscle while you lose weight, and hugely important for ensuring you build enough muscle if you are weight lifting, and that is your goal....but "sufficient" isn't really that high, it's generally around 1 gram per lb of lean body weight.
    For the purposes of weight loss only, the amount of protein you eat is not important.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited January 2021
    My target is 40% too but I don't always hit it (and definitely won't today). I aim for 4x weekly (was only meeting target once a week in October). Perhaps working up to the goal while you figure out what your go-to meals and snacks can be would make for less of a struggle.

My go-to stuff includes lactose-free skyr or Greek yogurt, egg whites, Vega protein powder (but never more than 2 scoops daily), chicken, sardines, cod, and salmon.

While I'm a superfan for fiber what does "high fiber" mean to you?
  • I tend to front load it, usually with supplimentation vs re food. That way at dinner I'm not trying to figure how to get 85 grams in a sitting
  • jessienani
    jessienani Posts: 60 Member
    Several ounces of chicken breast here and there will do the trick.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I make salad dressing with hummus or silken tofu for a protein boost, but I rarely hit that 40%. I use the .8g per kg of weight target instead.

I was worried about low protein when I switched to a completely vegan diet 3 years ago, so asked my doctor to check it when she does bloodwork every six months-- and I've never had a protein deficiency.
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Eat more chicken, turkey, seafood, and protein smoothies.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2021
    How many grams a day are you trying to eat?

Seafood, chicken, turkey, bison, lamb, pork, Greek yogurt, and smoothies with protein powder are my favorite.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member
    Really struggling to hit 40% protein. Can anyone help? I don't have a big appetite. I don't eat red meat or eggs which I know limits things.

I can help - drop it to 30%.

40% is likely overkill. What's your goal weight?
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    40% is rough. I can barely get 30% unless I use powders.

For meals try turkey breast tenderloin. Has a great protein/calories proportion. Also lean pork tenderloin or lean pork chops.

A go to snack for me is plain nonfat Greek yogurt with 2 tablespoons of peanut powder (Trader Joe’s). The peanut powder gives a nice flavor. About 170 cals and 25 grams protein.
    I also snack on boiled shrimp with a little cocktail sauce- but high cholesterol and salt. Normally I need some salt though to offset working out. My cholesterol intake is generally high but last time I was tested it was fine.

Also be aware- if you have too much protein at one time, a lot of it gets “lost” as your body can only process so much at a time. If only it were really lost - converted to fat or carb and the nitrogen excreted in urine. So maybe you need less than 40% but more spaced out to get the same effect you’re getting at 40% if you tend to eat a lot of protein at one sitting
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    edited January 2021
    Fat free (and sugar free) Greek yoghurt
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,122 Member
    Why are you trying to hit 40%? Seems like overkill for most people. Back it down to 30%.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Greek yogurt, protein oatmeal, and seafood/fish are my go-tos.

...and protein powder, because really most meat/poultry just is NOT my thing.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I can help - drop it to 30%.

40% is likely overkill. What's your goal weight?

Yeah, this.

Is there a reason you think 40% is necessary?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Without any context about you (which would get you far more personaliseded advice....) I would advise:

Setting an appropriate minimum protein goal in grams not percentages. (Appropriate for you is unknown.)

If you have slightly conflicting dietry needs (protein v. fibre) then don't go for a fast rate of weight loss and small overall allowance which will cause contention.

Seafood can be a calorie efficient way of getting a decent amount of protein into a restricted diet. Don't neglect veggie (beans would seem to hit both your goals) and dairy sources of protein too.

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    I have been having using Premier Protein. You can get at any store. I make a smoothie with fruit, premier protein and some yogurt. Premier has 30 grams of protein. Like you I don't eat meat or eggs. Once I started incorporating these in my diet I haven't been nearly as tired as I normally am. Hope this helps.
  • sarah7591

Also be aware- if you have too much protein at one time, a lot of it gets “lost” as your body can only process so much at a time. If only it were really lost - converted to fat or carb and the nitrogen excreted in urine. So maybe you need less than 40% but more spaced out to get the same effect you’re getting at 40% if you tend to eat a lot of protein at one sitting
    Onedaywriter ..thank you for the tip! I have heard this before. What do you feel is too much protein? I can consume 43 grams of protein for lunch which I feel maybe too much. (See post above). It is the majority of my protein for the day.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »

Onedaywriter ..thank you for the tip! I have heard this before. What do you feel is too much protein? I can consume 43 grams of protein for lunch which I feel maybe too much. (See post above). It is the majority of my protein for the day.
    @sarah7591
    It's not actually accurate. Rate of uptake does have limits but that doesn't mean you won't absorb all that 8oz steak you eat in one serving. Our bodies slow the absorbtion, unless you get to ridiculous levels what you eat gets used rather than excreted or converted.

"Can I eat too much at once?
    Amino acids and some peptides are able to self-regulate their time in the intestines. An example of this is the digestive hormone CCK which, in addition to regulating appetite and satiety in response to food[10] can also slow down intestinal contractions and speed in response to protein.[11][12] CCK is released when dietary protein is present, and demonstrates a way in which the body can slow down digestion in order to absorb all present protein.[13]"

Taken from https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-you-eat-in-one-sitting/

• sarah7591
    sijomial wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »

@sarah7591
    It's not actually accurate. Rate of uptake does have limits but that doesn't mean you won't absorb all that 8oz steak you eat in one serving. Our bodies slow the absorbtion, unless you get to ridiculous levels what you eat gets used rather than excreted or converted.

"Can I eat too much at once?
    Amino acids and some peptides are able to self-regulate their time in the intestines. An example of this is the digestive hormone CCK which, in addition to regulating appetite and satiety in response to food[10] can also slow down intestinal contractions and speed in response to protein.[11][12] CCK is released when dietary protein is present, and demonstrates a way in which the body can slow down digestion in order to absorb all present protein.[13]"

Taken from https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-can-you-eat-in-one-sitting/

I guess what I am asking is will excess protein be stored as fat?