Anyone familiar with thyroid testing?? Help!

Options
For several years now I have been suffering from the following:

-weight gain
-constant fatigue
-dry skin (despite being a lotion addict)
-frequent urination
-brain fog
-hair loss
-axiety

Every doctor I have seen has thought that I have a thyroid problem especially since it runs in the family, but I have been tested several times and they all came back negative for hypothyroidism. Each time I have been tested it has been a TSH test. The most recent test was a few months ago and the my level was around 3.3 (they didn't give me the results, but I saw it on the paper) and I was told that was normal. I have read a few articles about hypothyroidism and how the normal range of 0.5-5.0 is highly debated and many experts including the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists are recommending labs revise their levels to .03-2.5 (some say .3-3.0). I also have read accounts of people in my same situation who were given thyroid medicine and felt 100% better.

Has anyone suffered symptoms but tested in the .5-5.0 range and have been told that this was normal? Has anyone been treated at those levels and seen results? I am so sick of feeling like something is wrong with me and doctors just blowing me off. If it's not a thyroid issue, fine, but I still feel like *kitten* and want answers!

Replies

• Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For several years now I have been suffering from the following:

-weight gain
    -constant fatigue
    -dry skin (despite being a lotion addict)
    -frequent urination
    -brain fog
    -hair loss
    -axiety

Every doctor I have seen has thought that I have a thyroid problem especially since it runs in the family, but I have been tested several times and they all came back negative for hypothyroidism. Each time I have been tested it has been a TSH test. The most recent test was a few months ago and the my level was around 3.3 (they didn't give me the results, but I saw it on the paper) and I was told that was normal. I have read a few articles about hypothyroidism and how the normal range of 0.5-5.0 is highly debated and many experts including the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists are recommending labs revise their levels to .03-2.5 (some say .3-3.0). I also have read accounts of people in my same situation who were given thyroid medicine and felt 100% better.

Has anyone suffered symptoms but tested in the .5-5.0 range and have been told that this was normal? Has anyone been treated at those levels and seen results? I am so sick of feeling like something is wrong with me and doctors just blowing me off. If it's not a thyroid issue, fine, but I still feel like *kitten* and want answers!
  • gggivens
    gggivens Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi there-
    I know what you are going through. The standard levels for TSH have been debated for years. Not all doctors will treat a borderline case. I recommend that you talk with your doctor about a trial on thyroid replacement hormone. It is inexpensive and has few side effects at the dose that he will start you on.

I would recommend asking him for T3 hormone as well as T4 hormone- you can either get separate pills for each hormone, or you can try a brand like Armour Thyroid, which has both in it. Many doctors hae switched patients to just T4, but if you suffer from stress (don't we all) then it might actually get converted to 'antihormone' and cause more weight gain.

If your doctor is not willing to listen, then you may want to seek out an endocrinologist.

Don't give up. You list almost all of the symptoms expected. (I bet you probably have high blood pressure also- another sign) Keep searching till you find a doc that is willing to work with you.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I agree totally. Sometime you have to demand treatment. If the doctor refuses find another. There are a new set of guidelines that says TSH should be .2-2.0.

You also may want to go to the thyroid.about.com they have a lot of helpful info.
    Hi there-
    I know what you are going through. The standard levels for TSH have been debated for years. Not all doctors will treat a borderline case. I recommend that you talk with your doctor about a trial on thyroid replacement hormone. It is inexpensive and has few side effects at the dose that he will start you on.

I would recommend asking him for T3 hormone as well as T4 hormone- you can either get separate pills for each hormone, or you can try a brand like Armour Thyroid, which has both in it. Many doctors hae switched patients to just T4, but if you suffer from stress (don't we all) then it might actually get converted to 'antihormone' and cause more weight gain.

If your doctor is not willing to listen, then you may want to seek out an endocrinologist.

Don't give up. You list almost all of the symptoms expected. (I bet you probably have high blood pressure also- another sign) Keep searching till you find a doc that is willing to work with you.
  • rwinston
    rwinston Posts: 7
    Options
    I don't know about thyroid testing but I agree with gggivens that you should seek another doctor/endocrinologist that is willing to listen to you. I know how frustrating it can be to get doctors to work with you even if your lab work looks normal. For me, it was a problem with magnesium. My test results came out fine, but all signs pointed to an issue with absorption. Once I supplemented my diet with magnesium and calcium things improved quickly. Don't give up. Sounds like the first issue is getting a doc who will listen. Good luck.
  • Thamber
    Thamber Posts: 194
    Options
    Yes I agree with ggivens. I had all those symptoms and more and i kept telling my docs that I was hypothyrroid but they kept saying nope its normal. It took me a year to find a doc who said i had sub clinical hypothyrodism and he was willing to do a low dose trial of armour.

Find a doctor who will listen. Sadly In my experience they are few.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I sent you a message. There are some forums on another site I belong to that may be able to help you out.

Please check them out.

Anyone else that is interested in this information, please send me a message and I will send the links to you also........